If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
Liberty hosting North Florida this Friday/Saturday. Is there any reason to believe the Flames won't win both of these games?

Would love to see more consistency and better shooting percentage from behind the arc. The only thing that makes me nervous about this Liberty team is we tend to go on these extended scoreless gaps and either dig ourselves a hole vs. inferior competition or fail to capitalize on a lead and allow our competitor to get back in the game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 11:28 amIs there any reason to believe the Flames won't win both of these games?
We are 6-2 facing primarily the bottom half of the league. UNF is one game behind us in the standings coming off a 10-point win vs one of the other two teams tied with us atop the standings. They have two of the top five overall scorers in the league.They have two of the top 3 assists leader in the ASUN. Their PG, who is not one of their top two scorers, is shooting 46% from behind the arc and is second in the conference in steals.

In other words, we will need to work to earn these wins.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 11:28 am Liberty hosting North Florida this Friday/Saturday. Is there any reason to believe the Flames won't win both of these games?

Would love to see more consistency and better shooting percentage from behind the arc. The only thing that makes me nervous about this Liberty team is we tend to go on these extended scoreless gaps and either dig ourselves a hole vs. inferior competition or fail to capitalize on a lead and allow our competitor to get back in the game.
They have had as much success against us as anyone in the ASUN. The other thing that is in their favor against us is that they have been effective in defending the 3 (.315).
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
This could be a tough match-up for us. We live and die by the 3 on both ends. There have been nights these past few years where we get absolutely lit up from 3, it’s the shot that the pack-line wants you to take.

If McGee and Parker can have some effective drives and Preston can establish some offense, I think that really opens up our game since the defense has to cover the whole floor. If we stay one-dimensional it might be a long weekend since they’re so good at 3-pt defense. Might be good to get Keegan involved early too, he seems to be the only one on the team willing to take and make some mid-range shots to keep the defense honest.
Didlibertywin liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yawn. Tired of COVID getting in our way. Also frustrating that our teams have done really well on staying away from it, but we get bit by other teams having to cancel.
By Geraldos Mustache
Such a bummer. I was looking forward to the North Florida games.

On a positive note, high school basketball just got approved here in Illinois. Will be able to watch Aurora Christian play again, but not in person - only streaming.

They won the Super-Sectional last year, which put them in the Final Four to play for the State Championship in Florida. They went down to Peoria, checked into their hotel, had the team banquet. The following day, the day of their semi-final game, the IHSA cancelled the season. With two games to play - they cancelled everything. They could have let those kids play in an empty gym to determine a State Champion, but no. All that hard work for "what if"?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:13 am Such a bummer. I was looking forward to the North Florida games.

On a positive note, high school basketball just got approved here in Illinois. Will be able to watch Aurora Christian play again, but not in person - only streaming.

They won the Super-Sectional last year, which put them in the Final Four to play for the State Championship in Florida. They went down to Peoria, checked into their hotel, had the team banquet. The following day, the day of their semi-final game, the IHSA cancelled the season. With two games to play - they cancelled everything. They could have let those kids play in an empty gym to determine a State Champion, but no. All that hard work for "what if"?
Will this be played on Davidson Court? Mark is doing quite will with Blackhawk Christian.
By Geraldos Mustache
Purple Haize wrote: February 5th, 2021, 8:08 am
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:13 am Such a bummer. I was looking forward to the North Florida games.

Will this be played on Davidson Court? Mark is doing quite will with Blackhawk Christian.
Indeed. Still Don Davidson Gymnasium. A wonderful man.
Mark brought is Blackhawk Christian team up from Ft. Wayne, IN a few years back to play Aurora Christian. It was a slugfest with two very talented teams. Blackhawk had a State-ranked, slightly better team but AC found a way to win at home. Jake Wolfe was on that team - he's a RS-Sophomore playing at Lipscomb now. I think he is starting, getting 26 minutes per game. He was in my daughter's class.
Purple Haize liked this
Glad to see some Liberty basketball this weekend after last weekend's dud vs. Lancaster Bible College Friday and no game Saturday. Let's get back to business!

There is not much to do or look forward to (shoveling snow...). Temps in Chicago have been brutal in recent days and will continue. Illinois does not allow in-person attendance at high school basketball games - so that's out. Therefore, my big thing to look forward to is Liberty basketball on ESPN+.
By cruzan_flame13
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:07 am Glad to see some Liberty basketball this weekend after last weekend's dud vs. Lancaster Bible College Friday and no game Saturday. Let's get back to business!

There is not much to do or look forward to (shoveling snow...). Temps in Chicago have been brutal in recent days and will continue. Illinois does not allow in-person attendance at high school basketball games - so that's out. Therefore, my big thing to look forward to is Liberty basketball on ESPN+.
I miss Giodarnos :lol: . I was living in the Albany Park area near Uptown.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Giordanos (and other Chicago-style chains) are not limited to Chicagoland anymore. Vegas, Florida and until recently Texas all have the goods. Unfortunately they tend to focused in in Orlando and points south.
Purple Haize liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
Sly Fox wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:20 pm Giordanos (and other Chicago-style chains) are not limited to Chicagoland anymore. Vegas, Florida and until recently Texas all have the goods. Unfortunately they tend to focused in in Orlando and points south.
That's because people are moving out of Illinois in droves.

"An estimated 1,628,866 people left Illinois for other states from 2014 to 2018, according to the WBEZ analysis. That's up 15.6% from the number that left the state from 2009 to 2013."

They bring their Chicago taste buds with them!

Giordano's is good, but I prefer Lou Malnati's.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe Gino's East had a poor partner down here in Texas and the venture died before the pandemic. The Giordanos consistency away from the mother ship has always been much better. Very similar to Skyline Chili down in Florida & Arizona where the snowbirds flee. I haven't tried the Lou's over in Arizona but I am always down for the experience in Chi-town.

Oh yeah, it appears while we get the North Florida games in Lynchburg we now have to go on the road against fellow contender Bellarmine. :roll:
By Geraldos Mustache
Sly Fox wrote: February 11th, 2021, 1:55 pm I believe Gino's East had a poor partner down here in Texas and the venture died before the pandemic.
The Gino's East location in St. Charles near my house closed a couple years ago. Such a shame. Their crust was amazing!
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
LIBERTY VS NORTH FLORIDA PREVIEW

In a series that was originally supposed to be played last weekend, Liberty and North Florida have now been rescheduled to play a pair of games this weekend in Lynchburg.

The Flames and Ospreys have developed a nice rivalry over the past two seasons since Liberty joined the ASUN. The five games between the two teams have been decided by an average of five points with neither team winning back-to-back games. Liberty will look to keep its home winning streak in tact by doing just that this weekend at Liberty Arena...
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]