If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think his shooting #s were also inflated at the beginning of the season. He was red hot and no one had any scouting on him. Now other teams know to defend him out to the 3 pt line and he won’t get the same open looks.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
McDowell & Rode have been more efficient on the perimeter and outside the arc. They are mostly standstill guys hitting open looks. So, the looks are there. We just have better options right now. Ritchie won't quit on talent. So, we'll have to wait and see what develops.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm hoping what we saw last night from Darius is what I have been waiting over 2 years for. Channeling his "inner Chris Clemons" and taking it to the hole when teams overplay him at the 3 point line. He'll never be strong enough to make some of the finishes inside that Clemons did, but his explosive quickness and leaping ability should enable him to make opponents pay for that strategy a lot more than they have in the past.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:20 pm I'm hoping what we saw last night from Darius is what I have been waiting over 2 years for. Channeling his "inner Chris Clemons" and taking it to the hole when teams overplay him at the 3 point line. He'll never be strong enough to make some of the finishes inside that Clemons did, but his explosive quickness and leaping ability should enable him to make opponents pay for that strategy a lot more than they have in the past.
Man, I hated getting lit up by the tiny guards in the Big South. Before Clemons it was Saah Nimley. I’ve been hopeful that Darius could be that guy for us, and if he can keep finishing like last night and can develop a mid-range game, he can be a legit go-to.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:35 pm Why is Abii in the doghouse? He came into the season on fire but hasn’t played much since. I feel like Rode had a similar trajectory last year and has been pretty flat this year too.

He should be getting more minutes.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I trust RM and his staff. They have earned that. They are the ones in practice day in an day out. They know more about these players than anybody else. I mean I get wanting to see the guy out there more but it was clear early on that his conditioning wasn't the best.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:34 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:35 pm Why is Abii in the doghouse? He came into the season on fire but hasn’t played much since. I feel like Rode had a similar trajectory last year and has been pretty flat this year too.

He should be getting more minutes.
What have you seen in practice that leads you to believe that?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I wish the box scores that are saved online had the +/- numbers that are on the live stats during the games. In the both of the Lipscomb games, we were about +20 with Preston guarding Asadullah and -20 with Abii guarding him. Abii will play more when he demonstrates he can do his job on the defensive end and not before.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jackson is a local kid for me and some of friends had kids that have known him since he was a tike. Granted he did spend some time in Kansas before coming to LU. Most seemed stunned to hear he hasn't lit it up as a freshman for the Flames because of his explosive physicality. Clearly we haven't seen that from him yet because of his illness. But based on the type and timeliness of his minutes the past few weekends it is apparent that Coach McKay is working to ease him back into the flow.

Isiah still looks a but lost in the system. And he should be noted that the Pack-Line is not easily digested for true freshman. I admit I am excited about him settling in.

Abii flashed in those opening games based on pure athleticism. He has that by the bushel. I think we all are making some assumptions based on his usage based on our experience watching Coach McKay. There is no question Abii's defense needs to improve for minutes. But I love that we have those around him with patience. It is a shame he didn't get to spend time with Scottie in practice. I see potential similarities in their games.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:58 pm I wish the box scores that are saved online had the +/- numbers that are on the live stats during the games. In the both of the Lipscomb games, we were about +20 with Preston guarding Asadullah and -20 with Abii guarding him. Abii will play more when he demonstrates he can do his job on the defensive end and not before.
I would love that stat archived.
Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Abii didn't really play enough to be factored in like that against Lipscomb. The game 2 win was a much better team effort on D. That's the main difference. Maybe, we're just underestimating the emergence of Preston & McDowell. Abii is going to have to make the most of it for now.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Completely agree abii should be playing more. Yes ahshan dominated him and blake played better that series. Blake was horrible this last series. Whats the point. You can cherry pick series to make anybody look good or bad.

Obviously he can improve defensively but ahsan makes a lot people look bad. Plus our offense has been completely sputtering and hes a guy that could make a big difference. Frankly he hasnt been playing enough to know if hes improved. Blake was flat horrible this past weekend. Shiloh did well in his more active role specifically on d.

Personally id like to see more of the cuff parker mcghee plus 2 of the 3 bigs at times. Rode is getting a ton of minutes as well considering his production. Id love to see jackson robinson and abii get more of mcdowells (when hes cold) and rodes minutes.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What have you seen in practice that makes you feel he warrants more playing time?
olldflame liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: January 31st, 2021, 7:20 pm Completely agree abii should be playing more. Yes ahshan dominated him and blake played better that series. Blake was horrible this last series. Whats the point. You can cherry pick series to make anybody look good or bad.

Obviously he can improve defensively but ahsan makes a lot people look bad. Plus our offense has been completely sputtering and hes a guy that could make a big difference. Frankly he hasnt been playing enough to know if hes improved. Blake was flat horrible this past weekend. Shiloh did well in his more active role specifically on d.

Personally id like to see more of the cuff parker mcghee plus 2 of the 3 bigs at times. Rode is getting a ton of minutes as well considering his production. Id love to see jackson robinson and abii get more of mcdowells (when hes cold) and rodes minutes.
At this point in my Liberty MBB fandom, I don't question Ritchie McKay's choices on who gets minutes. I'm especially supportive of the fact that he doesn't mess with his rotation because a player is "cold". LOL that you said we can't know if Abii's defense has improved because he hasn't played enough. In case you have forgotten, they have this thing called practice. Ritchie is there. We are not.
flamehunter liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Practice isnt the same as games. Period. See malik willis. You might want to step into the 21st century. Everybody can be wrong about something. Doesnt mean coach isnt right about 95 percent of what he does. Is it important , of course it is. But he can help this team particularly with how bad offensively weve looked. Hes a difference maker against p5 aka tournament competition.

Btw. Coach had seen him in practice all summer and fall and chose to start him and play significant minutes early agains the best comp we will play. So did he suddenly stop playing defense?? He knew his defensive limitations but chose to ride him because he saw how good he is and can be.

100 percent standby the comments on shot making ie mcdowell. He has improved his overall game a good bit recently but his primary value is to make shots and play d and when hes not making shots we have several other guys that offer different attributes.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
From what I have seen on the floor, I do agree it's a bit of a head scratcher but RM has earned my trust in his system so who am I to really question it?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]