If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
DJ Moore
6' 3" 170 lbs Point Guard
Worthington (OH) Christian HS

247sports Profile 3- :star

VerbalCommits Profile 2- :star

Twitter

Want to tip my hat to this fine young man. He's committed to growing in his Christian faith which weighed heavily in his decision to commit to Liberty. Watch the top video in this link and go to the 2:15 mark to hear how he answers this question about "why" he chose Liberty and his faith...

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-commi ... or-season/

This kid seems super mature for a Junior in HS.
I love it that Liberty is the real deal when it comes to cultivating a legitimately faith-based culture. It starts from the top down. Liberty will continue to attract the top Christian players in the nation if they continue to invest in this faith-based culture. There are larger stages to play on, but for kids truly serious about cultivating their faith and being a quality environment, there really isn't a better school in the country. So proud to be affiliated with Liberty (my daughter is a 3rd year LU student) and cheer them on to success.

Best of luck to DJ Moore in his Junior & Senior seasons. Praying for great success and development as he prepares to play at the next level with the Flames!
Dalegarz1, michaeleyou liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
#1 - Great to see a high school gym full of fans enjoying a game. We don't have that in Illinois. No fans allowed. The IHSA also cancelled any post-season tournaments and State Championship series. This does not make us safer or happier. Just the opposite.

#2 - DJ Moore plays with a 6'-5" Freshman who is starting. Wow! Keep an eye on that kid.

#3 - I did not have time to watch much. How did DJ Moore play?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The video feed was awful but he played plenty socring 15 in spite of foul trouble to gut out a 50-47 victory. The Warriors scored the final 12 points to win knocking off my Pirates. DJ is #0 in white and there are better highlights here:

It is surreal watching this game seeing kids out on the floor for the 'Burg whose parents were my classmates who are doppelgangers for them.
By Geraldos Mustache
Graduating from college a year early to arrive at Liberty a year early...

On the surface, I think this is a terrible idea. It must make a lot of sense for McKay and DJ Moore to arrive at this decision, so my opinion doesn't matter. This just seems to go against so many norms.

A lot of athletes take that Red Shirt season to grow and develop physically and in their game. It just makes sense. The physical development that happens from age 17 to age 18 is significant. We are loaded with talent. Why bring the kid in prematurely?

I don't think this move was to play defense from a DJ Moore leaving to a bigger, better school. Liberty is clearly the best "fit" from a culture standpoint. I just don't understand how a 17 year old is going to make Liberty basketball THAT much better than it makes sense to bring him in a year early.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Reclassing has become relatively common in HS sports.
A year in a high-level college sports environment, including access to top level strength and conditioning, access to tailored nutrition plans, access to coaching, and competition against college-level athletes is going to develop this kids’ game so much faster than spending another year in high school. Even if he redshirts this coming year, he’s going to be much more prepared to contribute in the year he was initially supposed to come to us.

To your point, it may not help in the immediate, but outside of a high-level grad transfer, anyone we could find to fill that scholly wouldn’t be anyway. It will make Liberty basketball much better the year after if he’s a year further along in development and adoption of the system.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know his actual age? Recruiting sites don't seem to provide that info. Depending on his DOB, he may be a HS junior but pushing 18.
By cruzan_flame13
I graduated high school at the age of 17, so this is is not the issue. I think it's a bit exaggerated to state that he needs more time to develop in high school. Hell have to develop anyhow at the college level so it doesn't hurt that he can come in and development earlier than most college could. He has already made his mark in his high school, so why shouldn't he excel in his academia and his craft for college. The boy can play ball and it's beneficial to come up now to grow IMO.
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
DJ MOORE EXCITED FOR LIBERTY OPPORTUNITY AFTER RECLASSIFYING

DJ Moore was enjoying his junior season of high school basketball this past December when he got a phone call from Liberty head coach Ritchie McKay. It wasn’t an unexpected call as the Flames had been recruiting the 6’3″ point guard from Worthington, Ohio for some time, but what McKay had to say took Moore by surprise.

“Right before Christmas break, Coach called and was like, ‘Hey, there’s a possibility we might have a scholarship open up for the upcoming class if you feel like you’re ready and you want to maybe come earlier,'” Moore explained. “‘It’s a possibility that could happen.’ He said, ‘Think about it, pray about it, and if you feel like God has put it on your heart to do that, then we would love to have you if it ends up happening.'”

After that call, Moore and his family began discussing the possibility and deciding what he had to do to be able to graduate a year ahead of schedule in just a few months. He took one class online and added two extra classes to his schedule following the Christmas break. He is now on schedule to graduate by the end of the school year and plans on arriving on campus at Liberty in June. Click Here For More
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I've heard multiple updates about the team over the last few months and the one consistent thing I hear every time is Porter is a distributor that makes everyone around him better. Offensively, he may be ready or is really close. If he cracks the starting lineup, we'll have one of the smallest guard combos in the country. The challenge for most freshman to get playing time in this system is how quickly they adapt to the packline.

My guess is a combination of current competition and the trajectory of the program which is likely to bring in higher rated recruits meeting the desire to get on the court and perform. DJ seems to be a great fit for the LU Student Athlete profile. College athletics can be challenging for young athletes.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Good to hear about Porter. I assume Darius starts at the 1 like most of last year, but it would be good to get him off-ball for some stretches, whether through Porter facilitating or someone like Rode.

I wish DJ the best, hopefully he ends up in a favorable situation. Seems like a good kid.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: November 7th, 2022, 1:53 pm I've heard multiple updates about the team over the last few months and the one consistent thing I hear every time is Porter is a distributor that makes everyone around him better...If he cracks the starting lineup, we'll have one of the smallest guard combos in the country.
According to the roster, Porter is listed at 145 pounds :shock: (compared to McGhee at a solid 180).

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/mens-basketball/roster/
By LUOrange
I thought it was a mistake to get Moore to graduate early and then blow his red-shirt like we did. Personally, I don't like the idea of any kid graduating HS early at all. I think their finishing HS with their classmates is important. But I wish this kid the best. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if the returned like McDowell and Jackson did.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In Porter's 15 minutes tonight playing point, he had 5 points, 8 assists, and 5 steals. :shock: Play Basketball
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
He's leaving because Porter is a stud. He will be bringing ball up and Darius can play 2. He was everywhere tonight. 15 minutes... I know that the team was weak, but the kid has it. He doesn't look the part, but he can ball. BTW - Darius has increased his range in the off season.... This should be a fun year.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]