If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
How about the week FGCU has had. They lose 80-63 to bottom dwelling KSU on FR and then have the Sat. game cancelled due to inconclusive Covid tests, putting their participation in the tournament in serious jeopardy. After getting cleared, they face Lipscomb in the first round and look awful in the first half, but then turn it completely around in the second half and beat the Bisons handily to advance to the semis against a N Alabama team they swept during the season.
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
N Bama has extended their lead to 72-53 with 9 minutes to play. Barring an incredible comeback by FGCU, we are going :pbjtime
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:29 pm N Bama has extended their lead to 72-53 with 9 minutes to play. Barring an incredible comeback by FGCU, we are going :pbjtime
Somewhat anti-climactic but I'll take it. Hopefully we can still pull out a W tomorrow for the sake of seeding and pride.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Final score 96-81 N Bama.

We all knew something like this was very possible, but of course we expected it to be Bellarmine. I just don't get what the ASUN thinks they are gaining by allowing ineligible teams to play in their championship tournaments. :dontgetit
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Remind me how LU got a pass first year but these teams aren’t eligible ? Is that all Ian’s negotiating skills ? If so, tip of the cap again...
ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame - I think it is obvious. The commish is recruting schools for his new football venture and wants to demonstrate how accomodating he is to newcomers.

tyndal23 - Ian wasn't with us when we moved up to DI in the Late '80s and joined the Big South.
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:14 pm Olldflame - I think it is obvious. The commish is recruting schools for his new football venture and wants to demonstrate how accomodating he is to newcomers.

tyndal23 - Ian wasn't with us when we moved up to DI in the Late '80s and joined the Big South.
I am talking about us joining ASuN and first year eligible - is it because they are both transitioning from D 2 to D 1 and it is an NCAA thing and not a conference thing? Guessing so based on the sarcasm...
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:18 pm
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:14 pm Olldflame - I think it is obvious. The commish is recruting schools for his new football venture and wants to demonstrate how accomodating he is to newcomers.

I am talking about us joining ASuN and first year eligible - is it because they are both transitioning from D 2 to D 1 and it is an NCAA thing and not a conference thing? Guessing so based on the sarcasm...
And FYI we were Independent for 3 yearsas a D1 member before joining Big South in 91 ( I was there )
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:39 pm
olldflame wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:29 pm N Bama has extended their lead to 72-53 with 9 minutes to play. Barring an incredible comeback by FGCU, we are going :pbjtime
Somewhat anti-climactic but I'll take it. Hopefully we can still pull out a W tomorrow for the sake of seeding and pride.
. . . . and on ESPN.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:38 pm Which is why we were instantly eligible because we had completed our transition years.
Right, so back to my original question, is it a NCAA rule for hoops or a Conference rule? I knew Bellarmine came from D2 wasn’t sure about NBama and does the NCAA care with over 300 “D1 schools” in hoops ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 12:44 am
Sly Fox wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:38 pm Which is why we were instantly eligible because we had completed our transition years.
Right, so back to my original question, is it a NCAA rule for hoops or a Conference rule? I knew Bellarmine came from D2 wasn’t sure about NBama and does the NCAA care with over 300 “D1 schools” in hoops ?
Yes, N Alabama is in their 3rd year of the ridiculous 4 year D2-D1 transition, which is an NCAA mandate and has nothing to do with the conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts

I'm not as sure as you that providing newcomers the opportunity to be a huge fly in the ointment is all that attractive an "accomodation". It would seem to be a fairly small factor when you have limited options and the conference is a fit otherwise, and I really question if it is worth alienating your members who are post-season eligible.
Kricket liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
Liberty is a nightmare for the other ASUN teams.
Three ASUN conference championships and three trips to the NCAA in our three years in the conference.
Tomorrow, we may hoist our third conference tournament championship in three years.
Liberty is dominating - and getting better.
Richie McKay is the class of the ASUN.
Liberty recruiting is getting better and better.
Liberty has state-of-the-art facilities.

I love the view from the top. Being a Liberty fan is great. I don't take ANYTHING for granted, but I don't see Liberty slowing down or losing anytime soon.
The rest of the ASUN must hate Liberty.
stokesjokes, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:37 pm Liberty is a nightmare for the other ASUN teams.
Three ASUN conference championships and three trips to the NCAA in our three years in the conference.
Tomorrow, we may hoist our third conference tournament championship in three years.

I love the view from the top. Being a Liberty fan is great. I don't take ANYTHING for granted, but I don't see Liberty slowing down or losing anytime soon.
I would like to think this could turn into a Gonzaga situation where we could eventually start making deep runs in the tournament and bring some money and exposure back to the rest of the conference resulting in a win-win situation for everyone. Instead I think the other teams will get so tired of competing against a team with exponentially more resources that they will make us leave. Either way im enjoying the ride.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 7th, 2021, 3:33 am
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 6th, 2021, 10:37 pm Liberty is a nightmare for the other ASUN teams.

I would like to think this could turn into a Gonzaga situation where we could eventually start making deep runs in the tournament and bring some money and exposure back to the rest of the conference resulting in a win-win situation for everyone. Instead I think the other teams will get so tired of competing against a team with exponentially more resources that they will make us leave. Either way im enjoying the ride.
It looks to me like the ASUN is already showing some early signs of "buyer's remorse". How shall I put it? It seems like they are bending over backwards NOT to show us any favoritism. 8) I think they knew what they were getting though, and they also know what they HAVE. We make winning championships more difficult for the rest of the conference, but we also elevate it's overall image and profile.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn’t want to be in a conference with Gonzaga. How many of their conference-mates have made the tourney in the past 25 years? St. Mary’s once or twice? At our pace, a ticket out would be good for us and for the ASun.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 7th, 2021, 8:08 am I wouldn’t want to be in a conference with Gonzaga. How many of their conference-mates have made the tourney in the past 25 years? St. Mary’s once or twice? At our pace, a ticket out would be good for us and for the ASun.
Actually, St Mary's has been in the NCAAs 7 times since 2005. That's basically every other year. The vast majority of teams would kill for that. Now if you look at the rest of the conference, the pickins have been slim.
stokesjokes liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]