If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
After closing down their football program in order to upgrade their hoops investment, you could understand why mediocrity and lower wasn't going to stand at JU.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm After closing down their football program in order to upgrade their hoops investment, you could understand why mediocrity and lower wasn't going to stand at JU.
Their new arena will be tops in the conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:09 am
Sly Fox wrote: March 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm After closing down their football program in order to upgrade their hoops investment, you could understand why mediocrity and lower wasn't going to stand at JU.
Their new arena will be tops in the conference.
No new arena. They are building a new dedicated basketball training facility and making some upgrades to "Historic Swisher Gymnasium", which will still be tiny and old.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 7:58 am I wonder when this came out?
https://www.ballparchitecture.com/jacksonville-university-epic-center-arena
The link is not working for me, but I have no doubt that J'Ville has had plans for a new venue more than once over the years. Like a good part of the ASUN, I'm sure resources are tight. I wonder how much they are spending on the training center and the upgrades to Swisher.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:07 am Here is an article a couple of years old that confirms finances are the reasons for not replacing Swisher and estimating 5-10 million for the practice facility.
https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/201 ... wisher-gym
The link came from the same company that built wofford's arena. As you said, it's likely old. The funny thing is, I found it on coastalfans.com. apparently one of our old big South friends has a thing for Jacksonville and would like to see them come into the Sunbelt.
By Ill flame
After seeing how a lot of other 1 bid leagues do their brackets, I would like to see the A-sun change theirs to give the top couple of seeds byes next year. It makes so sense to me that the 8 seed has to win the same number of games as the 1 and 2 seed. It makes the regular season meaningless. There should be some sort of balance between the A-sun format and the WCC format.
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 11:52 pm [Ill be a curmudgeon like ball coach]

There’s no need for 8 seeds to play at all. :lol:
In any other sport I would agree to an extent but part of the fun of college basketball is the potential for chaos. It's the only reason college basketball is as big of a deal as it is.
alabama24 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm After seeing how a lot of other 1 bid leagues do their brackets, I would like to see the A-sun change theirs to give the top couple of seeds byes next year. It makes so sense to me that the 8 seed has to win the same number of games as the 1 and 2 seed. It makes the regular season meaningless. There should be some sort of balance between the A-sun format and the WCC format.
What you are saying has some merit as things were this year, with a one-site tournament. Normally in the ASUN, a high seeding gives you home court for tournament games as well as playing a team with a worse record. Not meaningless at all IMHO. I think giving a bye to top teams is a good option when you have more teams, the way the BSC did the last few years we were there. With 11 teams next year, you could give byes to the top 5 and the bottom 6 would play for the 6-8 seeds. Of course I've been pretty vocal about believing teams not eligible for post-season should not be included, which would drop it back down to 9, and only the 8 and 9 teams would play an extra game.

Another thing I believe is pertinent is that while it sounds good to say you want to make the regular season important, let's not forget that determining regular season standings almost always involve tie-breakers. I'm not a big fan of placing more importance on those than is absolutely necessary.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:52 am
alabama24 wrote: March 13th, 2021, 11:52 pm [Ill be a curmudgeon like ball coach]

There’s no need for 8 seeds to play at all. :lol:
In any other sport I would agree to an extent but part of the fun of college basketball is the potential for chaos. It's the only reason college basketball is as big of a deal as it is.
The biggest reason I comment on it is because of all those who want to ruin football this way.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I do not like byes in conference tournaments. The good thing about tournaments is, it gives everyone a chance to advance in post season.

The ACC gives 4 teams a double bye, which is totally dumb.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
At some point you need to get the bracket to 8 teams. Byes are how you do it. When you have 9 or 10 teams and the bottom 2 or 4 play off to get the 8/7 seeds they usually call them "play-in" games, but what you really have is the top 6 or 7 teams getting a bye. 11 or more and that's usually what they call it. Some conferences in some sports avoid it by only allowing the top 8 to play.

With 15 teams, the ACC is tricky. Their simplist option would be to give a single bye to the #1 seed, but I can see why they wouldn't want to do that.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not like byes in conference tournaments. The good thing about tournaments is, it gives everyone a chance to advance in post season.

The ACC gives 4 teams a double bye, which is totally dumb.
The only thing less boring than a bye? A #2 vs. #15 matchup. Yawn.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:23 pm Remember that 16 seed beating that 1 seed, a couple years ago. I loved it.
I also remember that 1 seed winning 6 straight games to claim the championship the very next year. Your ongoing expressions of hatred for everything UVA, and especially a squeaky clean basketball program headed up by one of the finest Christian men in the coaching profession, are beyond annoying, but I'm sure in large part that is why you do it. Has it occurred to you that were it not for Tony Bennett and what Ritchie McKay learned from him in the 6 years he spent working with him at UVA, we almost certainly would not be experiencing the success we are having right now?
Baybird, flamehunter liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:23 pm Remember that 16 seed beating that 1 seed, a couple years ago. I loved it.
I really don't think anyone cares about your opinions on basketball...sorry.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: March 17th, 2021, 4:35 pm
I really don't think anyone cares about your opinions on basketball...sorry.
Not sorry.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]