If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Impactful defense is pivotal. No doubt. However, not gonna win anything meaningful without effectual guard play. And clutch scoring is a big part of that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 29th, 2022, 7:43 pm Impactful defense is pivotal. No doubt. However, not gonna win anything meaningful without effectual guard play. And clutch scoring is a big part of that.
Define “guard play”? If I’ve got a pair of long armed back Court defenders then they will create offense all on their own. So, yeah having “Guard play” is absolutely important
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 29th, 2022, 8:10 pm If defense holds opponent to 49 points, you must score 50 to win.
If offense scores 89 points, you need to hold opponent to 88.

Lots of paths to victory if you can hold your opponent to 49 points. Not so many if it’s 88 points
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2022, 8:31 pm
paradox wrote: March 29th, 2022, 7:43 pm Impactful defense is pivotal. No doubt. However, not gonna win anything meaningful without effectual guard play. And clutch scoring is a big part of that.
Define “guard play”? If I’ve got a pair of long armed back Court defenders then they will create offense all on their own. So, yeah having “Guard play” is absolutely important
Didn't we have a couple of long-armed defense-oriented guards this year? But it seemed like the short-armed guy generated all of the offense, though. Hope he returns. We need 'em.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 29th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Didn't we have a couple of long-armed defense-oriented guards this year? But it seemed like the short-armed guy generated all of the offense, though. Hope he returns. We need 'em.
There was 1 in Vanzant. Darius was just add water offense. He wasn’t a great defender But he was an electric player and a joy to watch This past years team wasn’t great or even really good defensively within their scheme. Or at all. Offensively you had 1 option. The games a second option was there the team was completely different.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2022, 9:49 pm

There was 1 in Vanzant. Darius was just add water offense. He wasn’t a great defender But he was an electric player and a joy to watch This past years team wasn’t great or even really good defensively within their scheme. Or at all. Offensively you had 1 option. The games a second option was there the team was completely different.
Venzant & Warfield are the two long-armed guards. Look, I'm totally down with defense. It's a necessary means to an end. But it's not the means & the end. You need dependable scorers too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 29th, 2022, 10:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2022, 9:49 pm

Venzant & Warfield are the two long-armed guards. Look, I'm totally down with defense. It's a necessary means to an end. But it's not the means & the end. You need dependable scorers too.
Vanzant and Warfield were both big time scorers in HS. They have gotten minutes so far due to their defensive ability, but they both have a lot of offensive upside. The best case scenario is they make strides there, because they WILL be on the court a good bit.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Looking back at highlights, it seems like most of Venzant's scoring came in the open court, and we don't really run. The only highlights I could find from Warfield are from his sophomore season, but much more ISO drives, looks strong on the dribble and finishing, and shows a good 3-pt touch as well. They also have him listed as a PG on the highlight tape. It makes me wonder why we haven't seen his offense yet. Either he's been shaky at this level in practice or we just haven't asked him to be in that role, but from what he shows in his sophomore tape, he should be an important piece of the offense going forward.

I do recall in our last tourney game or two we ran a couple of plays to get Warfield to the bucket and he looked good doing it. TBH, I'm expecting a healthy dose of Ewing theory in action next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 30th, 2022, 9:21 am Looking back at highlights, it seems like most of Venzant's scoring came in the open court, and we don't really run. The only highlights I could find from Warfield are from his sophomore season, but much more ISO drives, looks strong on the dribble and finishing, and shows a good 3-pt touch as well. They also have him listed as a PG on the highlight tape. It makes me wonder why we haven't seen his offense yet. Either he's been shaky at this level in practice or we just haven't asked him to be in that role, but from what he shows in his sophomore tape, he should be an important piece of the offense going forward.

I do recall in our last tourney game or two we ran a couple of plays to get Warfield to the bucket and he looked good doing it. TBH, I'm expecting a healthy dose of Ewing theory in action next year.
I don't think video of our games is going to tell us a lot about what those 2 guys are capable of on offense. Things were so focused around Darius, with the other veteran players secondary options that they were pretty much an afterthought.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]