If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
HOMESLEY HOPES TO HEAR HIS NAME CALLED IN 2020 NBA DRAFT
By: Zach McLearen

With the 2020 NBA Draft taking place Wednesday, former Liberty standout Caleb Homesley is hoping to hear his name called.

As a Flame, Homesley finished his career with 1,539 points, 703 rebounds, 306 assists, 122 steals, and 78 blocks. During his time at Liberty, he was named to the ASUN First-Team All-Conference in 2019 and 2020, the ASUN All-Tournament Team in 2019 and 2020, the ASUN Tournament MVP in 2020, and the ASUN Player of the Year in 2020. He was also recently named to the ASUN All-Decade team. He ranks 10th on Liberty’s all-time scoring list and 8th on the school’s all-time rebounding list.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ASOR Forums Admin wrote: November 17th, 2020, 9:59 am HOMESLEY HOPES TO HEAR HIS NAME CALLED IN 2020 NBA DRAFT
By: Zach McLearen

With the 2020 NBA Draft taking place Wednesday, former Liberty standout Caleb Homesley is hoping to hear his name called.

As a Flame, Homesley finished his career with 1,539 points, 703 rebounds, 306 assists, 122 steals, and 78 blocks. During his time at Liberty, he was named to the ASUN First-Team All-Conference in 2019 and 2020, the ASUN All-Tournament Team in 2019 and 2020, the ASUN Tournament MVP in 2020, and the ASUN Player of the Year in 2020. He was also recently named to the ASUN All-Decade team. He ranks 10th on Liberty’s all-time scoring list and 8th on the school’s all-time rebounding list.
I don't know if he will be drafted, but I believe Caleb will get a legit shot to make an NBA roster. A big factor IMHO is the success that recent UVA players have had in the league, largely because they arrive ready to play defense on the NBA level with the solid fundamentals they develop from playing the pack line. Same will apply to Caleb and other Liberty players going forward.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, probably absolute best he can hope for is getting a 2-way contract starting out. Hopefully he can at least find a g-league spot where he can showcase himself a bit.
By Jonathan Carone
I heard a stat last week that said 50% of current NBA players spent time in the G-League. Caleb will get to the NBA, regardless of where he starts out.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is obviously a weird offseason with very little time between the draft and training camps to impress NBA GMs. A few weeks in Vegas to show his stuff against other young players likely would have been huge for Caleb's chances.

He could still wind up getting drafted in a class that frankly lacks breakout potential. Honestly outside the top 5 prospects that you could ball up and toss out onto a table the rest of the class doesn't have credentials that are generally more impressive than Caleb. A 2nd round selection is not crazy talk.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I think Caleb represents the best chance we've had in many many years to have someone land in the NBA (outside of Curry). He has the size and great shooting ability. I think the injury history is probably going to work against him but hopefully someone will take a flyer on him somewhere in the second round tomorrow.
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
CALEB HOMESLEY AGREES TO DEAL WITH WASHINGTON WIZARDS
By: Jon Manson
Former Liberty guard Caleb Homesley has signed with the Washington Wizards on an Exhibit 10 contract. He becomes the fourth player in school history to sign an NBA deal. Liberty’s previous players that signed NBA deals include Julius Nwosu (1995/San Antonio Spurs), Peter Aluma (1998/Sacramento Kings), and Seth Curry (2013/Memphis Grizzlies).

Despite going undrafted in the 2020 NBA Draft, the Wizards are signing him to an Exhibit 10 contract with an invite to their training camp. In sum, Exhibit-10 deals are one-year contracts for the league minimum salary. The deals come with an optional bonus of up to $50,000 if the player doesn’t make it in camp but is assigned to the team’s G-League affiliate
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And it isn't guaranteed like the contracts drafted players get but like you said, this is just about the best he could've gotten after not getting drafted.

A 2-way contract would've been a little better but I'm happy for him. I see him making the league in 2 or 3 years.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
The chances of him getting a full minimum salary are pretty slim. He'd only get that much if the Wizards promote him to the regular roster. The Wizards have 10 players under contract for next season, according to basketball reference, with 4 free agent signings pending. NBA rosters are 15 players.

Though for as long as he is in training camp, he'd be receiving a prorated amount of the minimum NBA salary.

If they waive him to send him to their G League team, he'd only get a G League salary + the bonus, not an NBA minimum salary. And he'd have to stick with the G League team for at least 60 days to get the bonus. Also, he would have to sign with the Wizards G League team within three days after being waived to qualify for the bonus.

And an Exhibit 10 can be converted into a two-way contract, but that would have to be done before the regular season starts. They already have two out of three 2-way players under contract.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. You're right. The exhibit 10 thing is a little confusing and the info you find online is a little different everywhere you go to read about it.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:57 am Yeah. You're right. The exhibit 10 thing is a little confusing and the info you find online is a little different everywhere you go to read about it.
Yeah it’s a nice deal because it at least gets you a training camp spot and then a more likely path to the G League. Though there is more money to be had internationally, there is a much more likely chance for an NBA roster spot from the G League since they can call up players basically anytime. And given how bad the Wizards bench is, that’s not exactly the worst franchise to be in from that regard.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Either way, he'll make the right connections and have options for what comes next.

He'll likely head overseas eventually and make a butt-ton of cash while getting to see sights most of us dream of seeing. I don't think I've ever wanted a kid to make it more than Caleb. I hope he finds his way on to the Wizards roster and gets a chance to show what he can do.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Homesley is getting some preseason run with the Wiz. He’s already scored in the first half of their first game. This is completely a function of 2020, if this was a normal year he would have had to cut his teeth exclusively in summer league.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Maybe but it also isn't uncommon for camp invites to get playing time in preseason games. Normally it isn't in the 1st half though haha.

I think he will end up on an NBA roster after a year or two in the G League with the Wizards. He has a lot of tools to do well in the league. At least as a role player.

Really happy for him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ASOR Forums Admin wrote: December 19th, 2020, 12:50 pm CALEB HOMESLEY WAIVED BY THE WIZARDS
By: Jon Manson
Former Liberty guard Caleb Homesley was waived by the Washington Wizards on Thursday. Homesley agreed to an Exhibit-10 deal with the NBA team in November, and he will be a strong candidate to join the Wizards’ G League affiliate, the Capital City Go-Go.
The Capitol Go-Go. I bet their dance squad is...interesting
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]