If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
My favorite remembrance of Jeff is how classy he was. And a really good basketball coach. As for a single favorite memory of his time here, that would have to be the Freddie Morgan game winning three.
Sly Fox liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dear Lord, let's not go down that road once again.

The thing about Coach Meyer is that he was so measured on the bench that it was tough to distinguish when he was angry and when he was thrilled. So Meyer moments were tough to identify.

I agree 100% with Flamehunter about Freddie's moon shot three. That was easily my favorite LU sports moment as a student.

Where's Scar to tell us what Meyer was like behind the scenes?
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 7:21 am I posted somewhere a couple days ago that he was retiring.

I wonder if his time with Marshall had anything to do with decision.
It had absolutely nothing to do with it.
thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
There were several reasons Meyer left. No real need to go down that road again. He wasn't really a very good coach IMHO, but he grew a lot at LU.
I compare him to Turner Gill. Not much of a coach, didn't get the most out of the talent he had, but he is/was a very good man. He was a good asset to LU, during his tenure. He improved a lot after he left. I would like to see him come back as an assistant to RM, but don't see it working out that way. I doubt he is interested.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Two big moments stand out for me--the '83 NAIA Tourney run--lost a close one to Chaminade, who had that famous win over #1 UVA that year--also beat #5 Louisville. Gunn, Gordon, McCauley, Issacs, Weber. Great team. Eric Gordon had a huge game against Terry Porter. That was a special team. NAIA was strong back then.

The other one that stands out is '94. Late run. Defeated unbeaten Towson in the conference tourney. And then, pummeled a heavily favored Campbell team in the final. Lost against #1 UNC in the NCAAs--only due to lack of depth. LU eventually ran out of gas. But Meyer had them ready, and UNC was sweating bullets. Hildo, Chapman, Dixon, and Aluma--all had strong games. Toomer did his thing on D. With a more favorable seeding--that team had the potential to make a run in the NCAAs.
LUOrange, ballcoach15 liked this
By LU 57
Was at the 94 NCAA game in the old Cap Center. I believe we were up 8 with 12 minutes left. As stated, we ran out of gas, and lost by 20, but what a game. Hilldebrand was amazing.

That Carolina lineup featured Rasheed Wallace, Eric Montross, and Jerry Stackhouse. They were a #1 seed but were upset by a Bill Curley led BC team in the next round.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Hildo really carried the load. He had to, backcourt depth was razor-thin. Really fun to watch when he went up-tempo.

Of course, nothing from the past really comes close to what LU has accomplished over the past two years under McKay.
LU 57 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, Scar paid very fitting tribute to Coach Meyer in a video he posted on Facebook. A number of Coach Meyer's players from his LU days are commenting on Scar's post with similar affection for the coach.
thepostman, alabama24 liked this
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]