If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
paradox wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:28 am Size is a nice thing to have, but it doesn't make you a complete player.
That's true but outside of porter we haven't had much luck finding undersized complete players in the last couple of classes. Hopefully Cleveland will develop into one. We know McKay doesn't bring guys in just to fill out a roster so I'm optimistic the 2023 class will be better than the last couple.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Cleveland is outstanding in every facet of his game, w/lone exception of perimeter shooting. Very optimistic w/prospect of him improving, though. ZC is in the process of becoming a necessity.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 16th, 2023, 10:23 pm
paradox wrote: April 16th, 2023, 9:28 am Size is a nice thing to have, but it doesn't make you a complete player.
That's true but outside of porter we haven't had much luck finding undersized complete players...
Smart, tough, dependable is what you look for. Everything else is secondary. In the backcourt quickness matters more than size. Size is only a luxury there, and not the prominent thing.
By Ill flame
I know we are all homers here that like to wear our red tinted glasses but the only player we have that I would consider outstanding in all facets of the game just graduated. I like Cleveland and think he should develop into a good player for us but I doubt I'll ever use the word outstanding to describe him.

I'm a LU fan first but I watch a lot of illinois and that's the talent level I like to use as a baseline since they also play relatively positionless basketball. Average P5 teams are the types of teams we'll have to start beating if we want to start making noise in the ncaa tourney someday. Illinois has guards that are the same size as Cleveland but with the athleticism of venzant (or better) :shock: I hope to someday get closer to that level.
Purple Haize liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I'm optimistic that Cleveland improves his permitter shooting and when he does, there's no question that he's a complete player. ZC's elite eye-hand-coordination is what makes him special.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you are listening to Illini games, their radio voice was a friend of mine at LU. But I am not sure it is fair to compare our talent to B1G squad. Incidentally a Central Illinois kid named Cleveland happens to be our primary discussion point. But I digress.

Rode is a strong 2-way player. Not typically dynamic but generally strong in all aspects of the game. Glad we are squeezing one more season out of him..

There remain a slew of bigs out there in the portal. I suspect we will find one soon.
LUOrange, Cider Jim liked this
By Ill flame
I haven't listened to an illini game on the radio since I left the state a decade ago but assuming its still the same guy that's a very familiar voice. I grew up listening to him and Mike Shannon a lot but had no clue he went to LU. The initial point was about the height of our recent signees improving but paradox makes a good point that quickness also matters in the backcourt and I hope to see more of that as well moving forward. Tall players that can't move get eaten alive by half way decent teams.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:01 am
Ill flame wrote: April 16th, 2023, 10:23 pm
That's true but outside of porter we haven't had much luck finding undersized complete players...
Smart, tough, dependable is what you look for. Everything else is secondary. In the backcourt quickness matters more than size. Size is only a luxury there, and not the prominent thing.
You might want to check rosters. 6’4-6’8 guards are not that rare. It’s not a luxury at all.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What if these "smaller" guys turn out to be quicker, smarter, & more efficient than the competition? Will it help negate some of the excessive physicality that is so prevalent in the NCAA today?
By Ill flame
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:42 am What if these "smaller" guys turn out to be quicker, smarter, & more efficient than the competition? Will it help negate some of the excessive physicality that is so prevalent in the NCAA today?
It really depends who we are playing. A player like Darius can overcome that deficiency against all but the top teams but that's Darius. Most mid major teams typically have to make tradeoffs. What they gain in height they are usually giving up in quickness or overall skill. P6 schools and the top mid majors are mostly able to get guys with size AND quickness. We have guys like venzant and Warfield that match up well in that regard but they act like they are playing hot potato with the ball on offense unfortunately. I don't get the sense that we are making those tradeoffs with these new guards but we'll have to wait and see.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Team looks to be much different moving forward. There are many ways to create space & opportunity on offense. And there should be multiple options in the attack. Should be interesting.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:42 am What if these "smaller" guys turn out to be quicker, smarter, & more efficient than the competition? Will it help negate some of the excessive physicality that is so prevalent in the NCAA today?
Oh those types are out there. We saw it in Darius and a couple dudes in The Dance. But they are an exception to the rule.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Can't really remember if there was ever a time when we returned 3 players as impactful as (Porter-Rode-Cleveland), while simultaneously adding 2 more as promising as (Blair & Metheny).

Both Blair and Metheny look to thrive in this 5-out attack. Blair is multi-positional. There'll be the option to move him around in order to create mismatch opportunities, situationally. And Metheny's game should look stronger in this offense with so much additional space to work with. Both guys come in highly-skilled and ready to go.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]