If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ben Southerland has tweeted that he will be signing in a ceremony at his HS this afternoon. While I haven't heard anything specific from Zach Cleveland, all indications are he is 100% on board, and there's no reason to believe he won't be signing soon; most likely today as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have added a walk-on for this class, 6'3" SG JC Shirer from Arlington, TX. He is the brother of LU football player Jackson Shirer as well as the son of author Priscilla Shirer and grandson of pastor/broadcaster/author Tony Evans.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
2 major questions regarding this class.
1. Will McDowell and/or McGhee return for their Covid year? Important because we need to free up 2 scholarships for the players we signed last month. We got a pretty solid answer from Keegan in a recent post-game interview with York. When asked what his thoughts were for his final year, he gave absolutely no indication it would not be. As far as Darius is concerned, it looks like he might consider returning. Decision might be based on professional prospects.

2. Who might end up transferring, thus freeing up an additional scholarship or 2 for new recruits? It's been a while since we had a player leave for any reason other than playing time, and I expect that would be the case again. I would say we have 2 likely candidates unless they can turn their season around in a hurry. Maybe 3.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Spring signing period is a month away. Colin Porter is a lock to sign. What this also means is anyone considering transferring out will likely be making that decision very soon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If we have an opening for a veteran PG to transfer in, we could do a lot worse than this one:

https://verbalcommits.com/players/jaelin-llewellyn

Canadian who has graduated from Princeton. Since the Ivy does not allow graduate students to play, he has to transfer if he wants to use his final year of eligibility. Connection to Liberty is that he spent 2 years in Lynchburg, playing HS ball as a boarding student at VES. I think we may have offered him back then. He played against Darius in HS .
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 19th, 2022, 9:15 am He immediately has garnered high major interest. I would consider him a serious longshot.
That is probably an accurate assessment. One thing that could play in our favor is seeing how much success and hype Darius was able to have at Liberty. It would also be a plus if he enjoyed the burg when he was at VES.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 2:58 pm Any HS players worth talking about at this point or are we looking only in the portal?
I'm not aware of any. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of getting Blair to reclassify, but in reading his interview, it sounds like he is gung ho to go after a HS state championship his Senior year. That would also make an already very young team even younger.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Second part to the question: have any late HS signees turned into meaningful contributors in the past? I can think of several very important grad transfers recently, wondering if late reaches ever turn out to be worth it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 3:55 pm Second part to the question: have any late HS signees turned into meaningful contributors in the past? I can think of several very important grad transfers recently, wondering if late reaches ever turn out to be worth it.
Georgie and Lovell would both fall into that category, but this situation certainly looks Taylor made for at least one grad transfer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Spring signing period starts today. I expect Colin Porter to sign his NLI, if not today, soon. Other than that, it should not affect our ongoing recruiting to fill out next year's roster, much, if at all, since that will be focused on the portal and theoretically transfers can come in right up to the enrollment deadline for the Fall term. Of course, in practice, we would want everyone on campus for Summer classes/workouts.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]