If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 24th, 2020, 10:59 am McKay addresses Liberty's strength of schedule this past season and moving forward

https://www.aseaofred.com/mckay-address ... -schedule/
The system is designed to shaft mid major schools, and reward P5 schools. This would had been proven if Selection Committee had be able to finish their job.
Any school that wins 30 games, should be higher than 325.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:34 am
A Sea of Red wrote: March 24th, 2020, 10:59 am McKay addresses Liberty's strength of schedule this past season and moving forward

https://www.aseaofred.com/mckay-address ... -schedule/
The system is designed to shaft mid major schools, and reward P5 schools. This would had been proven if Selection Committee had be able to finish their job.
Any school that wins 30 games, should be higher than 325.
I can't believe I'm even taking the time to explain this, but here goes.
We are 325 in STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. How many games we won has nothing to do with that except for the fact that our having so many cupcakes on the schedule is without a doubt part of the reason we were able to win so many games. Before somebody says it, our games against Trinity Baptist and Kentucky Christian have nothing to do with this. They do not count.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With my son becoming an Aggy this fall, I made it to a game over with him in College Station last month. Seeing Coaches Layer & Walden on Buzz's bench would seem to give us the connections we need to score a date or two on Texas A&M's calendar. Any word on that front?
LUOrange liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:30 am 2020-21 roster breakdown

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-baske ... breakdown/
I can see Parker taking over where Pacheco-Ortiz left off in regard to both offense and defense. Replacing James and Homesley (and B-B) at the 4 & 5 is going to be the challenge both with their offense, defense, rebounds, and assists and just how they can excite the crowd with their play.
ballcoach15 liked this
By chris leedlelee
His statement and decision really speak to the amazing culture that Coach Mckay at LU. Liberty is blessed beyond measure to have him and HCHF with us at the moment. I don't think their impact could be overstated.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan. Mistake in my book but i guess ive probably heard too much about it behind the scenes. The statement is nice pr but from everything ive heard thats maybe 25 percent. Also not a fan of someone quitting on the team and announcing it the night of the open.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: April 10th, 2020, 12:25 pm Not a fan. Mistake in my book but i guess ive probably heard too much about it behind the scenes. The statement is nice pr but from everything ive heard thats maybe 25 percent. Also not a fan of someone quitting on the team and announcing it the night of the open.
Mistake on his part or mistake to take him back?

I don't know what it was you heard, but I think it's probably safe to say that if he had gotten the kind of offer he was hoping for when he entered the portal, his decision might have been different. He gives us flexibility, and he is a solid defender who knows the system. I still wouldn't rule out him transferring after this year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Mistake to take him back. I was never a huge fan of his game but the way all this was handled would make it hard to go back in the locker room. I dont believe this would be a very popular decision if the players voted like they did earlier in the season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: April 10th, 2020, 3:22 pm Mistake to take him back. I was never a huge fan of his game but the way all this was handled would make it hard to go back in the locker room. I dont believe this would be a very popular decision if the players voted like they did earlier in the season.
Not sure what you mean by "go back in the locker room". He never left it. He's been practicing with the team all year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
From an offensive standpoint, I believe we will have more perimeter shooting options, with Darius, Cuffee, Maide, McDowell, Parker, Dobbs, Warfield and Jackson (if he doesn't redshirt) taking up the slack for losing Georgie and Caleb. Interior defense is what troubles me most, especially against teams like Lipscomb with a dominant post player. Looks like it will be Robinson and Preston (maybe Abii as well) taking that on, but I expect it will need to be more of a team approach and less straight up like we could do with Scottie or Myo.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
If asadaullah stays he will put up 40 and 20
Against us. Shiloh developing is the only hope we have to slow him. I still would have loved to see a grad transfer big instead of mcdowell. Id rather see his min go to warfield jackson if ready. He and price are so limited its hard to tie up 2 schollies on guys that are so 1 dimensional.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: April 11th, 2020, 9:09 am If asadaullah stays he will put up 40 and 20
Against us. Shiloh developing is the only hope we have to slow him. I still would have loved to see a grad transfer big instead of mcdowell. Id rather see his min go to warfield jackson if ready. He and price are so limited its hard to tie up 2 schollies on guys that are so 1 dimensional.
Assadulah might do that if we played him straight up with Robinson or Preston like we did with Scottie/Myo. I highly doubt we will.

I saw no indication that we were getting anywhere in trying to land a big man in the grad transfer market, especially one who would actually be better than what we have. Keep in mind that the way we play it, the packline requires all 5 players be very mobile, and there is a significant learning curve, especially for big men. They also need to fit the school and team culture.

I don't see McDowell as a one dimensional player at all. He is primarily a 3 point shooter offensively, but he is a solid defender and passer, and obviously he knows the system, which is a huge advantage. I think it's naive to assume that we are better off with true Freshmen, but the beauty of Ritchie as a coach is that once they arrive he won't hesitate to use them if they show they are better than the veterans. As I have stated before, Price is in a tough spot. His prospects for PT going forward don't look good, but having used his red-shirt year, he's better off toughing it out til he graduates next Spring.

The big wild card is the vote the NCAA is scheduled to take on May 20 regarding the one-time transfer rule. If that passes (as it likely will) we will see an unprecedented second surge in the transfer portal. It could get really crazy some places, but probably not so much for us.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So in follow up. Mcdowell was not a part of the team for the last several months from what ive heard and i never saw him on the bench after maybe the 10th game. Also he was not terribly well liked in the locker room and i had heard at one point that was due to a vote from the players.

It smells like to me we couldnt get anybody better so we accepted him back. Ive heard the words quitter and individual thrown around quite a bit by multiple parties. My guess is rmk hopes this will change him and he will be more of a leader with the large void.

I still would not have taken him back.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]