If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:00 am Conference schedule format has changed again. Teams will now play all conference games on back to back days vs each school. Helps some teams, shafts some teams.
All this did is eliminate the day off between the 2 games, which theoretically will reduce cost and time missed from class. I don't see how it particularly favors or hurts anyone. The previous change to do away with home and home is the one that really shafted some teams, notably us.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
True, I was just repeating earlier post. We are team probably shafted the most. And I bet it was intentional by ASUN.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 11:32 am True, I was just repeating earlier post. We are team probably shafted the most. And I bet it was intentional by ASUN.
I normally don't like to promote conspiracy theories, but you have to be pretty naive to believe that our starting the season, with a young team, playing 2 games in Nashville against the pre-season favorites, is totally arbitrary.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
My goodness this schedule is doo doo. At what point do we stop playing these garbage NCCAA schools? And when do we limit the non D1s? We’re established now. We don’t need four of those anymore.
LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:40 pm Who are the non D1 schools on schedule
Bluefield, Carolina (not the school in Chapel Hill), UVA-Wise and Regent
By Jonathan Carone
Carolina University (formerly Piedmont International) is in Winston-Salem and is smaller than every public high school in the town.
By Ill flame
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 10th, 2020, 6:20 pm My goodness this schedule is doo doo. At what point do we stop playing these garbage NCCAA schools? And when do we limit the non D1s? We’re established now. We don’t need four of those anymore.
The non D1 schools don't lower our RPI like beating up on a terrible D1 school would. In my mind those aren't the issue although I wish they would limit it to 1 or 2 a year. We don't need to stack our schedule with P5 schools but we really need to be scheduling higher end mid major schools because that's the level this program is at right now. We dominate a schedule of mostly nobody's every year and wonder why no one takes us seriously.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Did anyone else get an email today, informing that season tickets purchased in may, will not be honored. Only 600 fans will be allowed in arena. Divided between donors, sponsors, player and coaches families and students.
stokesjokes liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:08 pm Atrocious home schedule. Unf is the only top 200 level team. Geez.
Well with only 600 fans allowed, no need to bring in big names this season
By LUOrange
The fortunate side of having my season tickets cancelled is not having to pay for games in this atrocious schedule. I'm sorry, but you're not going to attract local and casual fans playing UVA-Wise (D2), Bluefield (NAIA), Carolina U and Regent (both NCCAA). Could we really not get Longwood, VMI, Hampton or Norfolk State to beat up on? Or even Lynchburg or Randolpph? Could those ETSU, Campbell, WCU, and Gardner Webb football games not come with reciprocal MBB games? I'm sorry, but you're not even going to sell out the Lil'Arena with these non-D1 teams.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I can take every dollar I save by not going to basketball games, and apply it to softball this spring.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm Carolina University (formerly Piedmont International) is in Winston-Salem and is smaller than every public high school in the town.
That's the school that Tenn. Temple University merged with a few years ago. Study Play Basketball
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yes, the home schedule is lame, but this year it is what it is. We lost the best senior class we've ever had, and are in the middle of a pandemic. A few wins to build confidence in case those big games don't go our way isn't a bad thing. The other thing is, these small schools likely need the money, so I don't mind being a good neighbor in a bad year. I have no doubt that next year's schedule will look a lot better for home games.
stokesjokes, olldflame liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Putting together a schedule under these circumstances has to have been maddning. With the obvious pandemic cloud floating over everything, the idea of having students spend the majority of time on the mountain needed to be a priority. Then you factor in our success the past two seasons and you can get an idea of how reluctant other schools are to schedule games with us.

We are getting some pop in the bubble tourneys and the trip to Mizzou. So the cupcakes are just fine with me in a season where ticket sales may not happen at all if the pandemic numbers continue to rise like they have in recent weeks.

I actually like us throwing bones to likeminded schools like Regent and Carolina. But then again I am old school enough to remember when we played teams that no longer exist today.
thepostman, ATrain liked this
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote: November 11th, 2020, 8:06 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm Carolina University (formerly Piedmont International) is in Winston-Salem and is smaller than every public high school in the town.
That's the school that Tenn. Temple University merged with a few years ago. Study Play Basketball
Is that the old Piedmont Bible College in Winston-Salem? Played in a basketball tournament there in HS.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is indeed. I belueve my grandfather received some honorary doctorate there back in the day. As CJ pointed out, my dad's alma mater in Chatty has all their athletic memorabilia there on that tiny campus after they merged with Piedmont.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]