If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone seen the new ASUN schedule ? Gone are home and away games with each team. Both games will now be played at same venue. We go to Lipscomb for first 2 conference games Dec 30, Jan 2 or something like that.
Objective is to cut down on travel expenses according to ASUN.
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Just me, but that schedule seems incredibly random and unfair. Maybe home court won't mean as much, though, with limited fans.

Don't like that scheduling idea at all.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
ASUN ANNOUNCES REVISED MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
By: Jon Manson

On Tuesday, the ASUN announced a revised men’s basketball schedule as the league looks to limit possible COVID-19 exposure and reduce travel expenses.

All teams will still face each of the other eight ASUN teams twice this season for a total of 16 conference games. However, both matchups against a given opponent will take place during a single weekend at a single location. All ASUN conference games are slated for Thursday and Saturday, beginning on New Year’s Eve.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This will obviously reduce travel expenses, but I don't see it making any difference in Covid risk. None. It is really ridiculous from a competition standpoint. I'm sure efforts were made to make it as balanced as possible, but there is no way playing the same team in the same place a couple of days apart can be as fair/equitable as home and home games several weeks apart. We are faced with going in to Nashville with a young team and zero experience in the post and playing Lipscomb with Asadullah twice to start our season. Not good. Not fair.
Last edited by olldflame on October 27th, 2020, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I guess the idea is that if someone has it in the short space between catching it and testing positive, it would only be spread to 2 teams instead of 3. Does anyone know the ticketing situation for basketball?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: October 27th, 2020, 4:44 pm This will obviously reduce travel expenses, but I don't see it making any difference in Covid risk. None. It is really ridiculous from a competition standpoint. I'm sure efforts were made to make it as balanced as possible, but there is no way playing the same team in the same place a couple of days apart can be as fair/equitable as home and home games several weeks apart. We are faced with going in to Nashville with a young team and zero experience in the post and playing Lipscomb with Asadullah twice to start our season. Not good. Not fair.
I'm sure covid played a small factor in decision making but this was mostly money motivated. College athletics programs, especially at the ASUN level, are hurting.

It may not be fair from a competition standpoint but this is the reality of the world right now whether we like it or not.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU got shafted on this schedule. LU and Lipscomb should have never played first week of season.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
This indicates to me just how much the other schools in ASUN are struggling financially. Kinda scary. Anyone hear any specific financial news from other league members?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was consulting with one of them back before the pandemic and they were struggling already. Honestly ticket revenue is not significant for most ASUN members. The loss of student revenue during the pandemic blows those numbers out of the water.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:04 pm I was consulting with one of them back before the pandemic and they were struggling already. Honestly ticket revenue is not significant for most ASUN members. The loss of student revenue during the pandemic blows those numbers out of the water.
That’s where I assumed it had to be from, but curious just how bad it is.

Never foresaw all this, of course, but glad I left that world.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:28 pm Crappy decision from a crappy conference.
I wonder did they consider just playing doubleheaders ? Play one game at noon, and 2nd game at 7:00
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 7:58 am I wonder did they consider just playing doubleheaders ?
Ballcoach, go back to the dugout. We don't do that Play Basketball . :nono
ballcoach15 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
We truly need to get out of the ASUN. It is hurting us, but there's no other option at this point unfortunately.

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think it's fair. As a fan, I still think we are in talent-upgrade mode, but we did lose the best senior class we've ever had and our roster this year is almost completely unproven. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up much better than projected, but I'm fine with being a bit of an unknown at the moment.
LUOrange liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Being picked second is a good thing. No reason to put the complete bullseye on such a young team. I think ashan could average something like 25 and 12 and we have nobody to check him.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This scheduling format gives visiting teams the shaft. I see Big South is doing it also, but they play back to back days. For the weaker teams, it probably doesn't matter as much as it will for the top teams in conference. personally, I see a lot of 2 game sweeps.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I see we're playing in Spacecoast Challenge. Purdue, Clemson and Mississippi State are other 3 teams.

Always good to play P5 teams, (in any sport). This can only help us get in P5 someday.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is correct. We play Purdue on 11/25 at 6 pm ET on CBS Sports Network. Then we play either Clemson or Mississippi State the next day in Melbourne.

And a quick check of the official schedule shows the league has switched from their original plan of Friday/Sunday games to a Saturday/Sunday alignment.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Anybody know if they are going to allow fans for the Space Coast Tournament? I couldn't find any ticket info online. I'm actually going to be in Melbourne for thanksgiving
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Conference schedule format has changed again. Teams will now play all conference games on back to back days vs each school. Helps some teams, shafts some teams.
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]