If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
Wondering if LU could strike while the iron is hot and request an automatic bid for next year for all basketball teams that had already punched their ticket for this year's tournament?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm Wondering if LU could strike while the iron is hot and request an automatic bid for next year for all basketball teams that had already punched their ticket for this year's tournament?
There’s no way that could possibly work. Sure your perennial teams would get in but not your mid majors on down. Not sure a team like Dayton San Diego St or BYU will be as good next year. Then you’d have to add at least another weekend to the National Tournament which would be crazy.
Your heart is in the right place but there’s no way this is possible
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2020, 12:32 pm
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm Wondering if LU could strike while the iron is hot and request an automatic bid for next year for all basketball teams that had already punched their ticket for this year's tournament?
There’s no way that could possibly work. Sure your perennial teams would get in but not your mid majors on down. Not sure a team like Dayton San Diego St or BYU will be as good next year. Then you’d have to add at least another weekend to the National Tournament which would be crazy.
I would think that you would simply need to provide at large bids to the 12 teams that punched their tickets if they fail to qualify automatically next year. It may take perhaps 6 slots from the available at large slots.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 12:49 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2020, 12:32 pm
I would think that you would simply need to provide at large bids to the 12 teams that punched their tickets if they fail to qualify automatically next year. It may take perhaps 6 slots from the available at large slots.
But those teams will have different rosters and may not be nearly as competitive. Look at LU’s roster next year compared to next.
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 1:01 pm A team could be 28-6 this season and 6-28 next season. A 6-28 team doesn't belong in NCAA tournament.

(Unless they win their conference tournament)
We belonged this year and didn't get to play. So what if we lose in triple overtime in finals of ASun next year. Why shouldn't we get an at-large bid for this year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 1:56 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 1:01 pm A team could be 28-6 this season and 6-28 next season. A 6-28 team doesn't belong in NCAA tournament.

We belonged this year and didn't get to play. So what if we lose in triple overtime in finals of ASun next year. Why shouldn't we get an at-large bid for this year.
What if the team is 16-16 and lose in the 2nd round of the ASUN?
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Still get an at large for losing our automatic this year. It's a one in a life time type execption. We are simply given a deferral for next year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Still get an at large for losing our automatic this year. It's a one in a life time type execption. We are simply given a deferral for next year.
But it’s not the same team
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: March 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm
LUDad wrote: March 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm

But it’s not the same team
That is immaterial. However, to beg the question, it is still possible that the team may still be the same IF they so desire.

https://www.timesnews.net/Basketball/20 ... pport.html
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Spring sports lost most of regular season, all of Conference season, in addition to tournament .

I heard NCAA refused to release bracket, as some had wanted them to.
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 3:05 pm Spring sports lost most of regular season, all of Conference season, in addition to tournament .

I heard NCAA refused to release bracket, as some had wanted them to.
That would be great if it is so. Might mean they realize they will need to provide at larges for some teams next year and want to minimize the damage to those who had already locked their spot.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 3:43 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 1:01 pm A 6-28 team doesn't belong in NCAA tournament.

Not even then Ballcoach.
I agree, although it's never happened (but theoretically could). I'm pretty sure our 2013 team, which had to win 4 games in the BSC tournament to finish at 16-19, was the worst ever to make it. I've always thought you could make a good argument that in 1 bid conferences, the auto-bid should go to the regular season champion, with a "mini-tournament" to break ties.
By LUOrange
oldflame wrote: March 15th, 2020, 4:10 pm
alabama24 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 3:43 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 15th, 2020, 1:01 pm A 6-28 team doesn't belong in NCAA tournament.

Not even then Ballcoach.
I agree, although it's never happened (but theoretically could). I'm pretty sure our 2013 team, which had to win 4 games in the BSC tournament to finish at 16-19, was the worst ever to make it. I've always thought you could make a good argument that in 1 bid conferences, the auto-bid should go to the regular season champion, with a "mini-tournament" to break ties.
I like the importance of the conference tournaments like we have now. I'd much rather have the NCAA save a few at-large bids for the mid and low major conferences for this very reason. With 35 at large bids and 4 going to the First Four, this is doable. Obviously, it'll never happen though.
ballcoach15 liked this
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]