If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:39 pm All in all, I thought he should have gotten more minutes the past 2 seasons.
Would you have put Scottie or Myo on the bench more to give him more minutes? Or maybe Caleb? :roll:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm Brendan Newton to transfer
Are we guessing D1, D2, or D3? If he wants to stay in state, there's always Radford, from the Big South. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Are we guessing D1, D2, or D3? If he wants to stay in state, there's always Radford, from the Big South. Play Basketball
I really believe Brendan is a D1 player, and can be a contributor on the court at that level in a system that fits his talents better. Knowing now that he will be graduating and can play immediately with 2 years of eligibility remaining, my guess would be he will find a home at the D1 level, but that does not take into account what he wants to do academically or whether he wants to be in a Christian environment. I could see him doing well anywhere from a place like Trevecca Nazarine to a mid-major D1 program.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:08 am
I really believe Brendan is a D1 player, and can be a contributor on the court at that level in a system that fits his talents better. Knowing now that he will be graduating and can play immediately with 2 years of eligibility remaining, my guess would be he will find a home at the D1 level, but that does not take into account what he wants to do academically or whether he wants to be in a Christian environment. I could see him doing well anywhere from a place like Trevecca Nazarine to a mid-major D1 program.
With head coach Omar Mance at Trevecca, I can see that as a real possibility. The Masters University in CA has benefited from a few LU transfers (Hansel Atencia & Brock Gardner) in recent years who both enjoyed their experience. Unfortunately, this was Brock's last season and their opportunity to compete for an NAIA championship was cut short after qualifying as an at-large. For Brendan, what is most important? Does he want to stay close to home, play a lot, compete for championships, have a Christian environment, etc... At 7'2", he'll have some options.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:29 am
oldflame wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:08 am
With head coach Omar Mance at Trevecca, I can see that as a real possibility. The Masters University in CA has benefited from a few LU transfers (Hansel Atencia & Brock Gardner) in recent years who both enjoyed their experience. Unfortunately, this was Brock's last season and their opportunity to compete for an NAIA championship was cut short after qualifying as an at-large. For Brendan, what is most important? Does he want to stay close to home, play a lot, compete for championships, have a Christian environment, etc... At 7'2", he'll have some options.
I'm not sure the up tempo style they play at Master's would be a good fit for Brendan. He should certainly have a variety of options.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Good luck to Branden. I don't see him as a D1 player. Hope he lands somewhere where he can see the floor a lot. Seems to be a real good kid.
JK37 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Under the current rules, I don't see anyone else on our roster going into the portal. The couple of players who might otherwise be considering it have already used their redshirt year and would be far wiser to wait another year and graduate, which would put them in the same situation Newton was in this year. If the one time transfer rule goes through, that could change things.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
6'7" swing player Destin Barnes of Jacksonville has entered the portal. He was the Dolphin's leading scorer at 12.1ppg and won the ASUN Newcomer of the Year award after transferring in from JUCO last year. R-JR grad transfer, eligible immediately.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With not much else to do, I thought I'd make bold predictions regarding the 2 Liberty players in the transfer portal

Brendan Newton to Trevecca Nazarine
Keegan McDowell to William and Mary
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Keegan is likely going to another school unless COVID changed things.

I had to edit because I'm not sure if it is public.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: March 31st, 2020, 5:09 pm Keegan is likely going to another school unless COVID changed things.

I had to edit because I'm not sure if it is public.
Not public as far as I can tell. There was a "false alarm" that he was going to Wright State.
SumItUp liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]