If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The fact that we are seeing players like Nolley who have already used their redshirt year and are not graduating enter the portal may be revealing. I think the one transfer rule is a done deal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:45 am Deals like Nolley's are one reason I not like Transfer portal. Apparently he didn't "get enough shots".
Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. You don’t like the transfer rule unless it benefits your teams. If it does you think the coaches are wise with tremendous judgment. If it doesn’t it’s the scourge of college athletics.
At least be honest
thepostman liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 18th, 2020, 11:45 am Deals like Nolley's are one reason I not like Transfer portal. Apparently he didn't "get enough shots".
"Sources" :roll: He shot it 462 times (100 more than Homesly for the same scoring average). Made just 37% overall and 31% from 3. He needs to shoot better, not more. I'm sure he has more than one reason he wants to transfer, but regardless, if he is not happy where he is, he should have the right to go elsewhere. He stayed around a year longer than the coach that recruited him and some of the other players. If in fact he has a selfish attitude, they are better off without him.
Last edited by olldflame on March 18th, 2020, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In the News & Advance article, his dad was quoted as saying the Tech coach played him out of position as a power forward when he is a wing player.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
His dad also said that in 2nd half of season, when teams played better defense on him, the coaches did not coach him up, or words to that effect.
I believe this whole deal is more his dad than Nolley.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve watched VT coach’s system for years. Dad is showing ignorance by using antiquated terms like “power forward”. He doesn’t have a traditional 4 in his system!

Based on that, I’m sure the coaches are happy to see dad and son gone. Addition by subtraction. Next!
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s not the know-nothings who are the problem. It’s the ones who think they know but actually have no clue who ruin everything.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
What meddling dad heard: "Forget this "I'm a wing" crap tinkerbelle." You're gunna play power forward, and you're gunna like it." What the coach actually said: "Young man, we need you to hit the boards harder, take it to the hoop more, and not shoot so many 3s."
ballcoach15 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Despite the steady flow into the transfer portal nationally, there has been no news on outgoing transfers from ASUN teams in several days. We do have one incoming. Sam DeVault, a 6'10" C from Austin Peay, where he redshirted this year as a FR, is transferring to new ASUN member Bellarmine.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 18th, 2020, 3:38 pm What meddling dad heard: "Forget this "I'm a wing" crap tinkerbelle." You're gunna play power forward, and you're gunna like it." What the coach actually said: "Young man, we need you to hit the boards harder, take it to the hoop more, and not shoot so many 3s."
And, as the Old Men's Club likes to say, "There is no 'I' in TEAM." :nono :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 11:26 am
oldflame wrote: March 18th, 2020, 3:38 pm What meddling dad heard: "Forget this "I'm a wing" crap tinkerbelle." You're gunna play power forward, and you're gunna like it." What the coach actually said: "Young man, we need you to hit the boards harder, take it to the hoop more, and not shoot so many 3s."
And, as the Old Men's Club likes to say, "There is no 'I' in TEAM." :nono :oldhag
But there is ME
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am
Cider Jim wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 11:26 am
But there is ME
You left out the rest of the Kobe quote. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Another incoming ASUN transfer, and this one should make an impact. 6'8" grad transfer Eli Abaev from Austin Peay to FGCU. Averaged 7.9ppg and 7.7rpg.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Derrick Flowers, a seldom used 6'4" JR G from Jacksonville, has entered the portal. In a related note, 6'9" twin brothers Cameron and Zameron Boozer (not kidding) have commited for 2020. Jacksonville was the only D1 offer for either of them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Right up until game time for our opener against Radford, Liberty was the only D1 basketball team that did not have a transfer last year. Then the McDowell news broke. We've touched on the fact that while we have just one scholarship for 2020 (McDowell's) that could change if someone on the current roster decided to move on. There are a few who are in situations where they may be considering it. By way of speculation, and going strictly by their current and projected team roles and likely academic status, here are the players with eligibility remaining categorized by their likelihood of transferring.

NO WAY
Elijah Cuffee
Darius McGhee
Kyle Rode
Shiloh Robinson

SLIGHT CHANCE
Brendan Newton
Blake Preston

MORE THAN A SLIGHT CHANCE
Josh Price

?????
Martin Maide

As far as I am aware, all of these players are totally bought in with the school mission and team culture, and reasons for leaving would be based on basketball issues. Cuffee and McGhee are returning starters. Rode and Robinson were rotation players and almost certainly fit in future plans. I don't see any of them as looking for "greener pastures".

You could certainly make an argument that Newton is a player who would be a better fit and play more in a system that is more big man friendly, but he has already used his redshirt and should be graduating next Spring (or maybe December). I think it's far more likely he would stick around at least another year, get his degree, and then consider a grad transfer. To some extent it depends on how good incoming FR Abii is and who we get as a grad transfer, but it seems to me that Preston's chances to play more next year are good, so I would be surprised if he were to leave at this point.

Price is in a tough situation. All reports are he has made improvement, and he certainly can shoot the rock, but he was behind a walk-on (Reed) on the depth chart this year, and while Georgie and Caleb are graduating, we have at least 3 guards coming in plus Maide (who played ahead of him when they were HS teammates) coming off redshirt. I would not be at all surprised to see him look for a place where he would have a chance to play more.

Martin Maide is somewhat of a mystery. Ritchie has said "he's going to be really good", and I have heard he would have been in the rotation this year if not for the injury which led to him being red-shirted. I don't see him leaving.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm curious to know whether Brendan is graduating this Spring. He has already used his red-shirt year, so unless he is immediately eligible, he will lose a year. Can't blame him or wish him anything but the best. Great young man who loved being at LU. It just wasn't the right system for him to thrive as a player. If he finds a landing place in a system that puts more emphasis on post play, I think he may surprise some people with his production, and of course transferring to a lower level would allow him to play immediately and potentially be a real force.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm He's on track to graduate this spring
That's fantastic. After 3 years under one of the best coaching staffs and strength and conditioning programs anywhere he will leave a much better player and athlete than he came. Put him in a program that plays a zone defense and likes to feed the post and I think some people are going to be surprised.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:06 pm Whenever he played, he always seemed to put some "numbers on the stat sheet".
Whenever he played it was either in the closing minute or 2 of a blowout win or against a non-D1 opponent. The reason he did not play more is not offensive. He was not able to do the things on defense the pack line requires. Put him on a team that plays zone and I think he will thrive.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUOrange
I'm sad to see him leave, but it's probably for the best for him. He was always the best teammate on the bench during games and when he did play, it seemed he did fairly well. I hope he can stay D1 and go somewhere and get quality minutes. I think a good big man is always necessary. I guess he just wasn't athletic enough for McKay. I hope we can get another decent big man to spell Preston so we have that 1-2 tandem that we had with Scottie and Myo.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]