If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
oldflame wrote: March 5th, 2020, 10:26 pm Attendance was only 2966, which is a bit disappointing, but the ones who were there certainly did their job. I would expect more than double that number Sunday.
Wikipedia says 6762 and that website would never lie to me so I'm gonna go with that.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The 6762 is from box score of February 22 game. I don't know why the box score from that game is being posted for last night's game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Yes, I just noticed that and deleted my earlier post. Seems bizarre that with the students getting in "free" (paid by LU) there would be fewer on hand for a tournament game than regular season.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If Sunday's game doesn't draw 8-9000, we have marketing and fan support problems.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
There is not really that much you can do to "market" a game in 3 days. Due diligence will be done and students and locals will know when and where it is going down and what is at stake. Lipscomb will no doubt travel well, since it's driveable. The number is meaningless IMHO. We have had some pretty big crowds this year where people spent much of the game sitting on their hands. Much more important that whoever shows up is totally engaged and loud like they were last night. I'd love to see us have the first ever total sellout in the final game at the Vines, but the turnout for last 2 games would indicate that's not likely to happen. Probably more like 7,500.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
oldflame wrote: March 5th, 2020, 10:00 pm
LUDad wrote: March 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm Looks like they are getting their moxie back
I think you meant mojo. Moxie is something they always bring.
Been watching Bidden too much lately. :shock: I do think they brought more energy into the game, especially in 2nd half. Thinking that maybe they had been playing not too lose instead of playing too win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: March 5th, 2020, 11:40 pm While it wasn't pretty, college basketball in March is all about surviving and advancing, which we have done so far. Stetson is a team with a bright future ahead.
It looked like Liberty basketball had a bright future at this point in 2009. Not trying to play Nostradamus here, but there are some real similarities. If Stetson can keep what they have and build on it, they will win a lot of games going forward, but the Athletic Program at Stetson has "issues". It would not be at all surprising if their coach and/or a couple of the Freshman stars leverage this year's success into a move to "greener pastures".
By Risewithus
ballcoach15 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 8:11 am If Sunday's game doesn't draw 8-9000, we have marketing and fan support problems.
Sure would love to come but I got to make the Spring game. Too quick of a turn around for me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
There's something magical about the turn of the calendar from February to March in college basketball. Teams you beat by 20+ you are clawing your way past or losing to outright, lower seeds in conference tournaments making runs to the final...they call it March Madness for a reason I guess.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Anyone have the attendance number for the quarters and semis of the 2004 Big South Championship? I know the final had an announced attendance of 8,515
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: March 6th, 2020, 11:51 am Anyone have the attendance number for the quarters and semis of the 2004 Big South Championship? I know the final had an announced attendance of 8,515
If you go to the basketball schedule page on the AD website, you can change the year at the top, and there will be a link to the box score after each game.
By Class of 20Something
Genuine question. What if they can't count students in the official number?

That crowd on TV looked like 5k maybe more.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: March 6th, 2020, 1:21 pm Genuine question. What if they can't count students in the official number?

The seats behind the benches were mostly full. On the other side it was maybe 1/3 full (which is why I thought we were a smaller crowd than Tuesday's game) and mostly empty in the end zones but I still thought we had close to 3500 - 4000.
By tyndal23
Chippy wrote: March 6th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: March 6th, 2020, 1:21 pm Genuine question. What if they can't count students in the official number?

The seats behind the benches were mostly full. On the other side it was maybe 1/3 full (which is why I thought we were a smaller crowd than Tuesday's game) and mostly empty in the end zones but I still thought we had close to 3500 - 4000.
Tv view did a great job of hiding the empty seats then - was louder than Redford opener ( by a lot ) on tv.
Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]