If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dalegarz1
Woeful offensive performance in the first half! We're up by 6, 22-16. Cuffee continues to struggle and we need to pick up the energy level on the offensive end.
By LU 57
Dalegarz1 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:45 pm Woeful offensive performance in the first half! We're up by 6, 22-16. Cuffee continues to struggle and we need to pick up the energy level on the offensive end.
I know winning ugly is a characteristic of the pack line, but man this is brutal. 🤮
By sstaedtler
Not a good performance at all. This team lacks people who can beat people off the dribble. Lacks offensive playmakers. They won't get away with this in the next two games.
ALAFlamesFan liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Gritty win but we will not make the NCAA Tournament playing like that. We are not sharp and not where we were this time last year. Prove me wrong guys!
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Feels like were waiting for a game to matter. We havent had one since unf that really had big time implications

Hopefully they figure it out by thursday. Im absolutely petrified of the ft line at the end of games. Who do we trust???
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FGCU is hanging with Lipscomb, trailing 49-45 with 12 minutes left. Asadullah having a monster game with 28 points and 11 rebounds so far.
By Risewithus
sstaedtler wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 9:34 pm Not a good performance at all. This team lacks people who can beat people off the dribble. Lacks offensive playmakers. They won't get away with this in the next two games.
Yesssss. I have mentioned this to anyone that would listen. I am in UNF country down here and that is the one thing that stands out. MCthree is the quickest but he doesn't handle the rock enough imo and gets put in the corner to wait for three opportunities most of the games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FGCU has taken a 61-58 lead with 5 :28 to play. With the re-seeding, we would play them if they can pull the upset. If not it will be Stetson.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Lipscomb pulls out the win 66-63. Asadullah had 40 points and 13 rebounds. :shock: We get Stetson next.
By chris leedlelee
This is March.....I believe the madness has just begun. I wouldn't expect a smooth ride to the conference championship, and I don't believe it would be wise to assume so.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I've been saying it for a while now. The ASUN is a better, more balanced, conference (except KSU) this year. Yes, the first round results ended up "chalk", but every game was very competitive, with the 4/5 matchup between Stetson and N Bama the only one ending up with more than a 6 point margin. Next year shapes up to be extremely interesting, with both Liberty and N Florida losing great Senior classes and a nationally ranked recruiting class coming is at KSU.
Last edited by olldflame on March 4th, 2020, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I certainly hope we play (mainly shoot) better against Stetson, but I totally disagree with the idea that we can't win this tournament if we don't. If any team is capable of "winning ugly", it's this one.

As far as our last 2 opponents being "scrub" teams is concerned, I disagree there too. NJIT was the 8 seed and have lost some games they probably should not have, but they have talent, and have beaten N Florida, Stetson and Lipscomb this year (but NOT Liberty.) Lipscomb is on a roll, having won 7 of their last 8, with the only loss at N Florida.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:01 am I hope we fix our offense before Thursday.
:roll:

We have one practice, and it will almost certainly be a light one. There won't be any "fixing" going on. We just need to get our rest, execute a bit better, and hit a few more shots.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NJIT's talent is definitely better than their record.
By Dalegarz1
I agree that we can we this tournament playing "ugly", however Our offensive execution needs to be better. It's more than a matter of hitting more shots. If you watch UVA run their sets, the energy level is considerably higher than ours. It seems as though we don't translate our excellent defensive energy to the other end. Perhaps, some of this is by design. Coach K has always said that if his players need a rest it should be on offense. I also agree with Risewithus about needing a guard that can break down the defense with dribble penetration. McGhee has shown that ability and I also think Pacheo-Ortiz can do more of that. The latter seems to give up the ball too quickly at times.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I can't fathom how we have dropped 7% as a team from last year to this year. The biggest head scratcher is Caleb from 71% to 58%. Although his percentage has jumped around 6% better since he switched up his form
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:04 am
ballcoach15 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:01 am I hope we fix our offense before Thursday.
:roll:

We have one practice, and it will almost certainly be a light one. There won't be any "fixing" going on. We just need to get our rest, execute a bit better, and hit a few more shots.
Sometimes a team can be coached up, without actually practicing. This happened with softball at South Carolina. On Friday and Saturday we were terrible at the plate.
Come Sunday vs Michigan and Elon, we were much improved with the bats. I asked did they take BP saturday night ? Was told they were just coached up.
By hoop20
Did anyone else notice that both times NJIT traveled to play at Vines, they only brought 4 bench players. On their team website, the team photo has 15 players. However, they only have 12 players listed on the actual roster, which means 3 did not make the trip to Lynchburg. Did 6 players decide to transfer/get injured/get suspended?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I noticed that the first trip to Vines. 3 players played all 40 minutes in that one.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Game in NJ, lots of players on bench in street clothes.

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]