If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Someone is still salty

By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:12 am Someone is still salty
The fact that Bill Walton has to sneer at Liberty every time it comes up, instead of just focusing on the basketball aspect of LU, says more about Walton's character than LU.
Liberty22 liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
What is ironic is that Bill Walton played under a wonderful Christian man in John Wooden and yet you hear nothing but praise come from Walton's mouth about Wooden. I fell sad for Walton, I just wish he would taste and see that the LORD is good.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:48 am What is ironic is that Bill Walton played under a wonderful Christian man in John Wooden and yet you hear nothing but praise come from Walton's mouth about Wooden. I fell sad for Walton, I just wish he would taste and see that the LORD is good.

Wooden was also a self-described liberal democrat who voted for Obama. It’s possible to love Wooden and also be opposed to Jerry/Liberty.
By tyndal23
I think his dislike of LU is genuine and real to him based on what he thinks he knows, but I also think he is actually open minded enough and self secure enough to come and visit, listen politely and then speak. AOC, - no way.
By LU 57
tyndal23 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 9:28 pm I think his dislike of LU is genuine and real to him based on what he thinks he knows, but I also think he is actually open minded enough and self secure enough to come and visit, listen politely and then speak. AOC, - no way.
I would have to see that to believe it.
jinxy liked this
By tyndal23
Maybe, but I could see himself “ taking an invite “ coaxed by his network or whomever and spend a day with Ritchie behind the scenes of LU hoops and have a platform to speak in front of LU students about his “ politics” and walking away genuinely impressed. I heard him speak about an anti war rally he first went to and Wooden sat him down and told him about the “ other side “ and didn’t try and talk him out of being a protestor but to just be open and try and understand all sides of it - he really respected Wooden for it.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:37 pm Maybe, but I could see himself “ taking an invite “ coaxed by his network or whomever and spend a day with Ritchie behind the scenes of LU hoops and have a platform to speak in front of LU students about his “ politics” and walking away genuinely impressed. I heard him speak about an anti war rally he first went to and Wooden sat him down and told him about the “ other side “ and didn’t try and talk him out of being a protestor but to just be open and try and understand all sides of it - he really respected Wooden for it.
Nice to think that would be possible, but I can't imagine him being willing to sit with Jr. Plus, who knows what happens when two bags of hot air get together!
By tyndal23
Rogers u think JR is the devil reincarnate and do nothing but bash him. As for Walton, I lived in CA and heard him weekly during hoops - no, living there didn’t make me more liberal it actually made me way more conservative - but people have a tv or media image of someone until they know more - I wasn’t a big fan of the little I knew about Sr - but loved the D1 aspect of LU football - after coming and being around him - grew to really admire him - and while I didn’t agree with every secondary interpretation of scripture or politics - I still haven’t met anyone I have agreed 100% with - I just know I respected him for backing and living what he believed. I am also aware of the “creative salesmanship” he did to keep the doors open. As for Jr - I think he does a much better job managing the $ but keeps the conservative Christian vision intact for the U.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 12:31 am Rogers u think JR is the devil reincarnate and do nothing but bash him. As for Walton, I lived in CA and heard him weekly during hoops - no, living there didn’t make me more liberal it actually made me way more conservative - but people have a tv or media image of someone until they know more - I wasn’t a big fan of the little I knew about Sr - but loved the D1 aspect of LU football - after coming and being around him - grew to really admire him - and while I didn’t agree with every secondary interpretation of scripture or politics - I still haven’t met anyone I have agreed 100% with - I just know I respected him for backing and living what he believed. I am also aware of the “creative salesmanship” he did to keep the doors open. As for Jr - I think he does a much better job managing the $ but keeps the conservative Christian vision intact for the U.
Now, now, that is a bit extreme. There are plenty of us that are also full of hot air!
I do work to keep the fan boys in check, though. :D
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 5th, 2020, 8:13 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:12 am Someone is still salty

"Liberty... If ever there was a mis-applied name".
Yikes!
Like most diehard lefties, he is ignorant as to what Liberty is. Maybe Bernie can straighten him out. I'm sure they are Facebook friends.
By Class of 20Something
He makes a point though. Liberty is somewhat known for the rules. It is somewhat ironic.

Walton isn't capable of keeping his bias out of his work. It's annoying and unprofessional but he can get away with it.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]