If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I have been able to watch the majority of games this season and this game was typical of this team. Our offense disappears for long stretches then we suddenly focus and rally. Individually, the same thing. Caleb can be dominant or look lost, Scottie can be dominant or get frustrated and basically take himself out of the game, Cuffee, Rode, same thing. Flashes of brilliance but no consistency. The last few games it started to look like we had more urgency and focus but today we ran into a buzzsaw. I wasn't concerned with the initial deficit. Lipscomb shot 80%! It was the second half when we failed to take advantage of the opportunities to close to single possessions over and over that bothered me. We needed our studs to take over, we needed freshman to grow into their game and contribute like vets It has been 30 games. This team is good but it lacks the killer instinct of last year's team. Will it show up this week? I think it could. This is a celebrated senior class. I don't think they want to go out playing less than their best.

Last thought. I think the early season win streak against softer competition hurt the development of this team mentally. Just my two cents. I think they started to believe their own press. We are better playing with a chip on our shoulders.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I went and watched their Twitter... Our defense was pretty sorry on coverage of the 3pt shots. Noncommittal and lethargic.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Class of 20Something
How many years will it take for some of you to take the time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the pack line? I’m literally not a basketball fan and understand it.

Pack line removes the highest percentage shots. That is in the post. It forces teams to beat you from three. Note. Most teams we lost to shot above average percentages from three.

Gosh guys. It’s not hard. They weren’t lazy. They played how they’re coached. The system has an exploitable flaw.
SumItUp liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We weren't as crisp coming out of the double teams as they normally are, combine that with Lipscomb hitting everything and we missing everything it was s near impossible hole to dig out of.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:20 am We simply gave them too many 3 pointers. For some reason we didn't "come to play"
The numbers really contradict the notion that we "gave" them a boatload of 3s. They only took a total of 15, which is a LOW number. Making 10 of your first 11 is just something that never happens.................... well, almost never.

I give Lipscomb credit for being disciplined in their shot selection. A lot of teams would be jacking up 3s on every possession if they had a hot start like that. They stuck with their plan.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When they hit first 10, game was basically over. Granted, we cut into lead., but never got ahead .
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 1st, 2020, 11:23 am When they hit first 10, game was basically over. Granted, we cut into lead., but never got ahead .
But had a chance to win. So you once again are incorrect that the game was basically over.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: March 1st, 2020, 10:33 am How many years will it take for some of you to take the time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the pack line? I’m literally not a basketball fan and understand it.

Pack line removes the highest percentage shots. That is in the post. It forces teams to beat you from three. Note. Most teams we lost to shot above average percentages from three.

Gosh guys. It’s not hard. They weren’t lazy. They played how they’re coached. The system has an exploitable flaw.
Watch the Lipscomb highlights and then compare it with the UNF highlights. We were slower to the shooter, especially in the first half.
By Class of 20Something
I don’t care how fast you get on the shooter. When a team is shooting 56.5% FG and 73.3% 3PT there is no practical way to beat them. You tell any coach a week before a game that their opponent is going to shoot those marks, the only option is to play keep away and absolutely limit possessions.

The best FG% team in the country is 52.6%. And for the record, Liberty is top 20.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:18 am I don’t care how fast you get on the shooter. When a team is shooting 56.5% FG and 73.3% 3PT there is no practical way to beat them. You tell any coach a week before a game that their opponent is going to shoot those marks, the only option is to play keep away and absolutely limit possessions.

The best FG% team in the country is 52.6%. And for the record, Liberty is top 20.
When a team is getting really good looks and no hand up in their face, they will shoot better than average. The reason I looked at the Lipscomb Twitter feed was because of some things McKay had said about the weak defense in the first minutes of the game. Don't get me wrong... They were lights out throughout the game, but the 3pt production at the beginning percentage wise wasn't much different than the game as a whole; they just had less open looks after their initial 8 treys.
jinxy liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Contested 3s matter. Some were some werent. Not our best game defensively at all. North florida made a lot deep contested 3s the first game. Second game we were better but still had too many open. First half of lipscomb i remember at least 4 or 5 being wide open. They were certainly hot but it was not a good half defensively. We also gave up 3 or 4 uncontested layups.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]