If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 1:41 pm Anyone who goes up there to play football isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
You are not paying attention. UVA (like VT, by the way) makes some exceptions to ENTRANCE requirements for athletes. Once they are in school, they still need to pass 24 semester hours each year, and I would wager that is somewhat harder to do at UVA than it is at Tech. We need Cider to help set up that quizbowl match.
By LUOrange
I worked at a Lynchburg area high school a few years back when they were a dominant football team in the region, and the coaches stated then that Al Groh was a jerk that was hard to work with and blew off their kids. Tech (Beamer) and Liberty (Rocco) at the time was quite the opposite. Steinspring actually came in and keynoted the football banquet. Admittedly, I don't know if he charged or not. It was quite telling, as Tech was clearly the better program at the time. I would hope Bronco, Fuentes, and Freeze all have good relationships with the local high school coaches.

As for me, I root for 1. Liberty 2. Syracuse 3. UVA- thankful for their hospital. 4. Most VA schools afterwards.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm An unnamed high school coach told me that back in the day, that Al Groh got the administration to lower requirements for athletes, at Mr. Jefferson's University.
Lilly Isaacs, a former grammarian at Liberty, would laugh at your comment.

By the way, KSU does sit a bit higher than LU in regards to their Carnegie classification. Proximity to Atlanta and some really good programs might move the needle for some recruits. It is really hard to compare our schools since KSU is more than twice the size (online not included, of course).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:33 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm An unnamed high school coach told me that back in the day, that Al Groh got the administration to lower requirements for athletes, at Mr. Jefferson's University.
Bronco had to do the same. There is a short list of people that can get into UVa or Stanford and play football well.
Yeah, I’m sure LU has never had to do that.....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:00 pm LU didn't have to for the longest time since they had no standards. I think it has changed now but nobody got rejected unless they ran out of space.
Ohhh. I think you might be surprised
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:00 pm LU didn't have to for the longest time since they had no standards. I think it has changed now but nobody got rejected unless they ran out of space.
Hold up. Tell me you've nicknamed some low speed high drag SrA ”ASVAB Waiver” by now.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I haven't worked with a SrA in 6 years now but working with some folks from other branches sometimes makes my head hurt. But some of those cops I went to NCOA with on the other hand.... :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 1:41 pm Anyone who goes up there to play football isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Maybe so. It's all relative. Some sheds have sharper tools than others. :nod
Purple Haize liked this
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote: February 29th, 2020, 6:27 am I haven't worked with a SrA in 6 years now but working with some folks from other branches sometimes makes my head hurt. But some of those cops I went to NCOA with on the other hand.... :D
My badge and beret resent that comment.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]