If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Up only 35-29 at the half. Homesley with 18, but Georgie got 2 fouls early and only played 8 minutes.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
One of TV announcers said we "took the crowd out of the game". Anyone know how big crowd was ?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm One of TV announcers said we "took the crowd out of the game". Anyone know how big crowd was ?
It was a softball size crowd.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm One of TV announcers said we "took the crowd out of the game". Anyone know how big crowd was ?
Box score says 933.

https://www.liberty.edu/wwwadmin/global ... MB2030.pdf
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 10:54 pm Hard to believe they have a Top 50 recruiting class.
The Atlanta area is loaded with HS talent. Their new coach focused locally and signed a 4 star and a 3 star recruit who are HS teammates from Sharpsburg, which is an hour away from Kennesaw. He also signed another 3 star from Newnan, which is just 15 minutes from Sharpsburg. He was able to sell 3 very good players who have probably known each other since they were kids to come and play together an hour away from home. Good job by him.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
KSU campus isn't a good recruiting tool. One of worst I have been on.

Their parking makes LU's good plentiful.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:14 am KSU campus isn't a good recruiting tool. One of worst I have been on.

I explained how coach Abdur-Raheem pulled off this recruiting class, but of course you are right. They should have never considered going to school and playing basketball at a place where parking for softball is so inconvenient. :roll: :rofl
No, their campus is not as nice as Liberty's. Not many are. Things like that are only one factor in a recruit's decision and not the most important by a long shot.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Recruiting class rankings don't mean a lot once you get out of the top 20 or so, because not all players have been rated by every service. Using Liberty's 2020 class as an example, we have 2 3-star players, but don't show up in the 247 rankings because only one of them, Isiah Warfield, was rated by 247, while Drake Dobbs is rated 3-star by Rivals. If you go to Verbal Commits, which is pretty much the go-to site when you want to take a quick look at recruiting, all of KSU's signees are listed as 2-star because VC does not include 247 in their composite rating and, for whatever reason, none of KSU's signees have been rated by ESPN, Rivals or Scout.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/kennesaw-state

Another interesting note is that with their 5 November signees, KSU is currently -2 in spots available for 2020, meaning they are 2 over the scholarship limit, yet it looks like they are still actively recruiting for that class. What this means is that a very minimum of 2 players from this year's team will be leaving, which is not likely to hurt them at all considering their talent on hand.
Last edited by olldflame on February 28th, 2020, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:54 am
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:14 am KSU campus isn't a good recruiting tool. One of worst I have been on.

I explained how coach Abdur-Raheem pulled off this recruiting class, but of course you are right. They should have never considered going to school and playing basketball at a place where parking for softball is so inconvenient. :roll: :rofl
No, their campus is not as nice as Liberty's. Not many are. Things like that are only one factor in a recruit's decision and not the most important by a long shot.

When I drove onto KSU campus the first time, I asked myself, why would any recruit come here, if they have other offers ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 9:54 am
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 8:54 am

When I drove onto KSU campus the first time, I asked myself, why would any recruit come here, if they have other offers ?
#Oblivious
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
An example of how little a campus means. High Point's campus is one of the nicest in the country, and they have a palace of a new arena under construction and scheduled to be completed by next season. In spite of that, and also having a coach who has had years and years of success at the very highest levels of college basketball, including a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, they can't get any high level recruits to come there. There may be more than one factor, but it's pretty clear that the primary one is that Tubby Smith (whether it is deserved or not) is viewed as an old coach that the game has passed bye.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I will be the first to admit recruiting is a funny business. Heck even some football recruits sign with UVA. That proves most anything is possible if stars and moon are aligned and wind is blowing in right direction.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:42 am I will be the first to admit recruiting is a funny business. Heck even some football recruits sign with UVA. That proves most anything is possible if stars and moon are aligned and wind is blowing in right direction.
If you cannot see the multiple reasons that some recruits choose a place like UVA, you are blinded by your baseless hate. To name a few:

Beautiful campus
World class academics
Some of the best coaches in the country

I am not especially a fan of UVA, although I pull for their basketball team because of Bennett, and other teams on occasion, depending on the opponent.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My dislike of UVA football (and basketball) is not baseless.

For the record, I respect their baseball and softball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:22 am My dislike of UVA football (and basketball) is not baseless.

For the record, I respect their baseball and softball.
Any basis at all it has in your mind has to do with things that happened decades ago when nobody associated with the programs now was around. I call that baseless. Bennett and Mendenhall run 2 of the most spotless programs in college athletics.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:14 am High Point...can't get any high level recruits to come there.
High Point likes to call itself "the Harvard of the South." Their strong academics might actually HURT their basketball recruiting process. UVa used to have a similar problem, until they found the right coaches to recruit the right student-athletes. Study
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
An unnamed high school coach told me that back in the day, that Al Groh got the administration to lower requirements for athletes, at Mr. Jefferson's University.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm An unnamed high school coach told me that back in the day, that Al Groh got the administration to lower requirements for athletes, at Mr. Jefferson's University.
Virtually every university in the country which has high academic standards and also plays sports at a high level makes some entrance exceptions for athletes. Once they are in, the academic requirements to remain eligible are set by the NCAA. Some don't need to make entrance exceptions because their standards aren't that high to begin with. 8) In any event, those standards are not different from sport to sport at a given school.

On the "undercard" of the annual UVA-VT football game, I'd love to see a quizbowl match between the 2 football team. I think we all know who would win THAT one. 8)
Last edited by olldflame on February 28th, 2020, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize liked this
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: February 28th, 2020, 12:20 pm An unnamed high school coach told me that back in the day, that Al Groh got the administration to lower requirements for athletes, at Mr. Jefferson's University.
Bronco had to do the same. There is a short list of people that can get into UVa or Stanford and play football well.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anyone who goes up there to play football isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]