If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Has passed away at age 46.

So glad we honored him by admitting him to our HOF while he was still with us. Without a doubt one of the greatest ever to don the red, white and blue.
LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Veritas
I watched nearly every home game that Peter played in when I was an undergrad student. At some point during his time at LU, he also worked for me when I managed floor maintenance for the university. He was humble, diligent, and kind, in addition to being an exciting player to watch. Too short of a life.
LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Peter was the greatest shot blocker that I've ever seen in person. RIP.
Veritas, LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm 21 of 25 from the field
50 points
22 rebounds
12 blocked shots

Sound familiar?
Those were the numbers Peter put up against Charleston Southern, Towson and Campbell in the 94 BSC tournament as he led the Flames to their first NCAA bid, winning tourney MVP honors as a Freshman. I was there to see all of it, and it still may be the highlight of my Liberty fan experience.
Veritas, LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Veritas
That ‘97 team, though. Heartbreaking to see them not make it to the tournament. Back then, I thought of LU as a basketball school, with football as a sideshow (probably a reflection of my biases).
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Without a doubt, Peter was the very best to ever put on a LU uniform. so sorry to hear of his passing. Loved Peter.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
I was a freshman at Winthrop when Aluma was a senior...he was one of the first opposing players in the Big South that I watched that left an impression on me...
By LUOrange
Peter Aluma was and is my all time favorite Liberty MBB player. He was dominating on the court, but the nicest guy off of it. I loved watching him play. It was also great that Liberty had their own dominating big man in an era of basketball filled with dominating big men. It's a shame that Liberty didn't or couldn't bring Peter back around on staff in some way. At least Peter's in a better place next to our Heavenly Father. Prayers for his family.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
It has been a while since I have posted on here but I did want to say a word or two about Peter. It was my pleasure to coach him for 2 seasons and I considered he and the rest of the guys in the program as friends and brothers. I wasn't much older than the guys I coached and I was dubbed by Eric Pothoven as "Ploach Scar". I used to challenge the guards to be better and I was good enough to push them around and give them a hard time. But Aluma was different. I never tried to challenge him at the rim because he was a monster in the paint. He was one of the best shot blockers I ever saw. He was 3rd in the nation his Sr year behind Tim Duncan and Marcus Camby. I spoke to every scout in the NBA that year as they watched him play. Aluma never let that pressure bother him. He was mature beyond his years and a really great guy to coach.

I am going to miss the big fella. The last time I saw him was the weekend of his HOF induction. Coach McKay opened up practice to the former players that weekend and 2 of us showed up: Aluma and me. We both got to speak to the team. Aluma's words were so wise. He told them to enjoy their time here because it all goes so fast. He told them to have a servant's heart. He lived that when he was a player I can tell you.

Anyway, I am glad he got to be inducted before he passed. He will be missed.
SumItUp, Baybird, cruzan_flame13 and 7 others liked this
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Not to detract from the loss of such a great athlete, but I saw the article posted on LU's site and noticed they quoted aseaofred... is this the first time LU has officially recognized this site in a public facing way?
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]