If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:54 pm Refs were an absolute joke.
No worse than a couple of our guys played, though. That last foul by Holmesly? I thought it was a good call; Holmesly didn't need to hack him. Just the fact that UNF went inside on us so easily is frustrating but that is where we are the weakest and that is all UNF had to do with the last few seconds- drive inside and either a score or a foul is a given. One other question- why are we so bad on our free throws? I thought we had a pretty strong average last year.
Purple Haize liked this
By PAFlame
Not that upset with the loss, sure it was bad the whole game and we didn't look like we cared for a lot of it. The team can maybe afford 1 loss but not more the rest of the season for sure if there is any slim hope for the at-large. Regardless, need to learn from this loss and move on, because another one and it's for sure win the conference tournament or go home.
By Jonathan Carone
UNF shot 48%. Our season average is 36% for opposing teams.

We usually give up 5.5 threes per game at a 27.7% clip. UNF had 10 at a 35.7% range.

We typically give up 51.5 points per game. They scored 71.

On offense, our average game is 47.5% and tonight we shot 50%.

If we even played mediocre defense we win this thing by double digits.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:09 pm UNF shot 48%. Our season average is 36% for opposing teams.

We usually give up 5.5 threes per game at a 27.7% clip. UNF had 10 at a 35.7% range.

We typically give up 51.5 points per game. They scored 71.

On offense, our average game is 47.5% and tonight we shot 50%.

If we even played mediocre defense we win this thing by double digits.
Some of their shots were just ridiculous...probably 3 or 4 of those shots they would typically hit once every ten shots. UNF deserved the win.
By Risewithus
Should never have been close enough to matter. A lot of matador D.
[/quote]

I agree regarding the last call. I was more talking about ALL night calls. It was terrible. So was the defense. Team just Watched guys put back misses like a spectator. Game Saturday is at Stetson which is about an hour south. Considering going since these are the only 2 games i can get to from down here. Saving funds for long football season travels.
LU 57 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I thought both teams played outstanding and it was a good game. Its a shame the ref made a call where there should have been no call at the end. (Teams) should have decided the out come in overtime. Rematch should be fun.
Last edited by TH Spangler on January 23rd, 2020, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Risewithus
Some of their shots were just ridiculous...probably 3 or 4 of those shots they would typically hit once every ten shots. UNF deserved the win.
[/quote]

Agreed. One guy tried to pass from the three point line to a guy in the paint, ball went through the net for a three smh.
By Geraldos Mustache
Make no excuses about refs or shots taken. You just lost to the #189 power ranked team.
Think about that.
There are 188 better teams than #189.
We lost to them...
bluedevilflame liked this
By PAFlame
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:43 pm Make no excuses about refs or shots taken. You just lost to the #189 power ranked team.
Think about that.
There are 188 better teams than #189.
We lost to them...
Yes, the loss was bad and shouldn't have happened. We also should not take credit away from North Florida for taking advantage of a team that simply didn't show up to play. These games will happen to everyone, including some of the better teams in the country that go on to win national titles. It was only 5 years ago that this program was in such a dark place and getting worse everyday that we all would have been so apathetic, even proud that we only lost by 1 to the #189 team in the country. I know this team will bounceback after getting the wake-up call, the key is to not let this loss define the season.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Disappointed in the loss BUT we still are 19-2 which is incredible. I expect us to win out which would put us at 29-2 and just typing that is mind-blowing.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Glad the takes on the game are much more level headed on here than on twitter. That call at the end was awful but ultimately we put ourselves into the situation. I hope that this is a wake up call. We can't just sleepwalk through games and expect to win. We aren't good enough for that.
By Class of 20Something
I will say that there is a certain amount of "put ourselves in that position" that needs to be put on the refs and the fouls they called early. 11 total fouls in the first 10 minutes. Both our big men had 2 at the 10 minutes mark. That paces to lose them 2 minutes into the second half. That dramatically changes how you play the game. Late in the game, Myo was driving, the defender was backing with him and just fell over. Feet weren't set. Charge called. It was just so soft.

Kyle(20) and Shiloh(14) both had more minutes than Scottie(13) and Myo(13). That changes the game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:00 pm
ballah09 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:54 pm Refs were an absolute joke.
No worse than a couple of our guys played, though. That last foul by Holmesly? I thought it was a good call; Holmesly didn't need to hack him. Just the fact that UNF went inside on us so easily is frustrating but that is where we are the weakest and that is all UNF had to do with the last few seconds- drive inside and either a score or a foul is a given. One other question- why are we so bad on our free throws? I thought we had a pretty strong average last year.
Homesley is a fantastic player and has had some big clutch performances, but at the end of both halves last night, he came up small. 2 missed FT after being fouled at the first half buzzer and then the unnecessary foul at the end of the game.

2 years ago we were top 5 in the nation in FT and last year almost as good. Way down this year. Our best shooters (Georgie, Darius and Cuff) are holding up their end just fine. Scottie and ESPECIALLY Homesley have been awful. It's never been a strong point for Caleb, but 52%? That's hack-a-Shaq territory :dontgetit

What makes it worse is that Caleb would otherwise be the guy who's hands we want the ball at clutch time because he can do so many things to get us a score. A lot of that goes away when an opponent knows he can't make FTs.
Last edited by olldflame on January 24th, 2020, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
Scottie’s minutes as a whole this season have been baffling to me. He’s supposed to be our best or second best player and he’s sixth on the team in minutes, barely playing 20 per game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:00 am Scottie’s minutes as a whole this season have been baffling to me. He’s supposed to be our best or second best player and he’s sixth on the team in minutes, barely playing 20 per game.
I’m glad he’s not the best or second best player on the team. He’s good but limited.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:00 am Scottie’s minutes as a whole this season have been baffling to me. He’s supposed to be our best or second best player and he’s sixth on the team in minutes, barely playing 20 per game.
And only 13 last night. In those 13 minutes he had 10 points on 5/6 shooting and 5 rebounds. Myo also only played 13. I suppose it could be a matchup situation on the defensive end where Ritchie felt Shiloh was better able to go out and contest the 3 against either Sam or Hendrickson, but with Scottie having such a productive game on offense? :dontgetit
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I imagine RM is trying to keep his bigs fresh but Scottie has picked up his play recently and I think it warrants more minutes but both Scottie and Myo were having difficulty on the defensive end last night.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Props to walk-on Tytus Dean who came into the game to give a foul and instead makes a steal that put us in a position to tie it up. If we have to foul there, with UNF in the double bonus, it probably doesn't come down to the buzzer like it did.
thepostman, SumItUp liked this
By FlamesRise

Anyone see this from last night too? 1. Glad all 200 of them said so. 2. Can't wait for our crowd to return the favor. With comments like this, our students will maybe actually stand and be loud for once, just like that Lipscomb game last year. Just need a better result than that one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:26 am I imagine RM is trying to keep his bigs fresh but Scottie has picked up his play recently and I think it warrants more minutes but both Scottie and Myo were having difficulty on the defensive end last night.
Ritchie has always limited Scottie's minutes and has explained why more than once. Scottie plays with such a high motor that he gets gassed quicker than most. RMK feels like he gets better quality minutes from him when he keeps it in the 20-25 range, but 13?

Just a passing observation; in a game like last night it would have been really nice to have the option to go to McDowell or Maide to match up with their bigs, who can shoot the 3. It also didn't help that Kyle Rode, although his minutes aren't down that much (played 20 last night) is clearly not 100%. I've heard he has had a nagging injury for some time. Much tougher to do "load management" when you are in conference play.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:39 amMuch tougher to do "load management" when you are in conference play.
And when you only have 7 other guys you trust to play.

Last night was the first time our short bench seemed to bite us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 24th, 2020, 10:18 am
oldflame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:39 amMuch tougher to do "load management" when you are in conference play.
And when you only have 7 other guys you trust to play.

Last night was the first time our short bench seemed to bite us.
That's true, but we were in the same position when we rested Homesley. The difference was that those were games in the Bahamas we really didn't need to win and then against non D1 schools our managers and staff could have beaten.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]