If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Nothing to complain about with that win. Beating a decent SEC team on the road and not being that surprised is an amazing feeling.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Myo is a straight beast! No disrespect to Caleb but Myo is making a case for our most valuable player.

Those of you who say Vandy is one of the worst P5's check yo self before you wreck yo self. They are middle of pack in the SEC and will most likely be a NCAA bubble team.
By Jonathan Carone
We played like garbage the first ten minutes and still won.

And our defense?

In the second half, we held Vandy scoreless for stretches of 10 minutes and 6 minutes. They literally only scored during a four minute span.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Our defense is just incredible. We didn't play good offensive basketball but their length really bothered us. Regardless, it is a win on the road against an improving Vandy team. I'll take it.
By LUDad
Good packline defense is why good teans don't want to play us. But you would think that good to elite ACC teams would run over themselves to schedule us simply to prepare for UVA.
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Like Coach McKay says, "Our packline travels." Play Basketball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: December 14th, 2019, 11:11 pm Good packline defense is why good teans don't want to play us. But you would think that good to elite ACC teams would run over themselves to schedule us simply to prepare for UVA.
Excellent observation.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
The win has moved us to 70th overall on Kenpom. I thought we'd move a little more than that.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That 2nd half d was elite level defense and the best ive seen in ritchies return. Vandy has a lot of skilled pieces but we just choked them out completely. I think vandy could better than expected.

Cuf and myo took us to the house in the 2nd half. To shoot that bad and start that cold and win on the road in the sec is nothing to scoff at.
By gerb
Liked how the sec announcer summed up Mayo’s game tonight:

“Baxter-Bell has been eating at the buffet tonight. First the appetizer, then the entree, then dessert and now he’s at the soft serve machine” as he dropped the last 2 free throws. Play Basketball
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 14th, 2019, 11:33 pm The win has moved us to 70th overall on Kenpom. I thought we'd move a little more than that.
What was Liberty before this game? Vanderbilt isn't even in the top 120 today, and I know they weren't close to the top 100 before the game. Beating a team outside the top 100 doesn't do much for the KenPom ranking unless it's an upset, in terms of ranking, or it's a complete domination type win.
JK37 liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 14th, 2019, 10:57 pm Myo is a straight beast! No disrespect to Caleb but Myo is making a case for our most valuable player.

Those of you who say Vandy is one of the worst P5's check yo self before you wreck yo self. They are middle of pack in the SEC and will most likely be a NCAA bubble team.
Vanderbilt is bad and the outlook for them is not good unless they have some good players currently out of commission that will be coming back soon. Ranked 13th out of 14 SEC teams on KenPom. Lost at home to Tulsa, who currently ranks 118th on KenPom. Struggled to win at home to #305 Texas A&M Corpus-Christi and #327 Southeast Louisiana, two teams picked to finish in the bottom half of the Southland Conference.

Warren Nolan projections have them as going a combined 1-11 against Quad 1 and Quad 2 teams with a 139 RPI. ESPN's BPI projects them with a record of 14.3-16.7 along with the second worst SEC record. Metrics have them as the underdog in 15 of their last 17 games. http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php? ... &year=2020

Perhaps they end up better than what all the math is saying, but right now they aren't good.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Vandy is a bit of an unknown which explains why they are so low in a lot of these rankings. They could very well end up being one of the worst teams in the SEC but they showed glimpses of being a halfway decent SEC team. Time will tell.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Vandy is young but they have a nice trio of Nesmith, Lee and Pippen. I think they'll win a few games.
By LUOrange
gerb wrote: December 14th, 2019, 11:53 pm Liked how the sec announcer summed up Mayo’s game tonight:

“Baxter-Bell has been eating at the buffet tonight. First the appetizer, then the entree, then dessert and now he’s at the soft serve machine” as he dropped the last 2 free throws. Play Basketball
That dude was one of the worst game announcers I've ever heard, and he was annoying as all get out. Especially in the first half when Vandy was playing alot better. He wasn't as bad in the second half, but that's because our Boys shut them down and he had to temper his bias.
Liberty22 liked this
By gerb
How about: Myo "Big Baby" Bell ?

Similar size to Glen "Big Baby" Davis?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
SInce Myo was a freshman my dad dubbed him the nick name, "BIG BUTT". So, every phone call I get during the games is, did you see BIG BUTT! It never loses its humor, haha.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote: December 16th, 2019, 4:09 pm How about: Myo "Big Baby" Bell ?

Similar size to Glen "Big Baby" Davis?
Davis is 6'9", so, not really. As far as size and build are concerned, I think Barkley is a closer comparison, but he was on another level as a player.
By cruzan_flame13
You mean remaining unhealthy and believing that his skill will help him through his career? :lol: Put down the fork!! I'm just kidding.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Vandy took Auburn to the wire on the road Wed. night, losing 83-79. I think it's safe to say they will not go winless in the SEC again this year.
Liberty22 liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 10th, 2020, 9:18 am Vandy took Auburn to the wire on the road Wed. night, losing 83-79. I think it's safe to say they will not go winless in the SEC again this year.
Fools gold, they haven't even come close to competing in any SEC game following that Auburn game. Losing by 19 at home to A&M and 21 at home to Tennessee is pathetic. With having to play at Kentucky on Wednesday, looks like they will go 0-8 for the month.

Told y'all they are bad...
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
When they came to Arkansas to play, they had their top 2 players out due to injury. I believe the top player was injured in the Auburn game.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]