If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For the second game in a row, we will be facing our most talented and probably toughest opponent. After the disaster that began last year with the injury to Darius Garland (one game after he torched us) :flamingdevil continued with an 0-18 SEC season, and ended with the firing of Bryce Drew, the Commodores are a very different team under former NBA star Jerry Stackhouse, and early results have been very encouraging.

They are 6-2, with the losses coming to a very good Richmond team in OT on the road and more recently Tulsa at home. They are led by 6'6" F Aaron Nesmith and 6'2" G Saven Lee, both of whom were part of last year's team, but appear to have really stepped up their game, combining for 40 ppg between them. Chief among the newcomers is PG Scottie Pippen JR (his dad was pretty good, you know).

In our favor is the fact that the game is the day after the end of finals, so the student section will likely be limited to locals. Don't know if the rest of their fans have gotten over last year and are ready to turn out in force for a game like this. Likely not a huge crowd. Lord willing, I plan on being in it to see my first Liberty game in several years.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:15 pm For the second game in a row, we will be facing our most talented and probably toughest opponent. After the disaster that began last year with the injury to Darius Garland (one game after he torched us) :flamingdevil continued with a winless SEC season, and ended with the firing of Bryce Drew, the Commodores are a very different team under former NBA star Jerry Stackhouse, and early results have been very encouraging.

They are 6-2, with the losses coming to a very good Richmond team in OT on the road and more recently Tulsa at home. They are led by 6'6" F Aaron Nesmith and 6'2" G Saven Lee, both of whom were part of last year's team, but appear to have really stepped up their game, combining for 40 ppg between them. Chief among the newcomers is PG Scottie Pippen JR (his dad was pretty good, you know).

In our favor is the fact that the game is the day after the end of finals, so the student section will likely be limited to locals. Don't know if the rest of their fans have gotten over last year and are ready to turn out in force for a game like this. Likely not a huge crowd. Lord willing, I plan on being in it to see my first Liberty game in several years.
didn't we lose by like 8 or nine points? Garland was good though! I'm not sure about this one, but this is a winnable game. I wish I was able to go to this game.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:22 pm
oldflame wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:15 pm For the second game in a row, we will be facing our most talented and probably toughest opponent. After the disaster that began last year with the injury to Darius Garland (one game after he torched us) :flamingdevil continued with a winless SEC season, and ended with the firing of Bryce Drew, the Commodores are a very different team under former NBA star Jerry Stackhouse, and early results have been very encouraging.

didn't we lose by like 8 or nine points? Garland was good though! I'm not sure about this one, but this is a winnable game. I wish I was able to go to this game.
It is definitely a winnable game, and one we need to win if we want to have a statement victory on our resume in March (assuming we win the ASUN tournament). Hopefully we can pull out the W in Nashville.
By PAFlame
Winnable? Absolutely, nothing based on statistics or previous games shows me or the experts that Liberty will struggle in this one or have too many problems. We need to remember that this Vanderbilt team frankly isn't too great but also not bad per se. Toughest opponent for the Flames so far? Sure, I would agree with that assessment. That being said, cannot afford a slip-up here if we want to bank on the at-large backup in case we slip up along the way in the A-Sun tournament.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Being a road favorite at an SEC opponent makes me nervous. Perhaps primarily because this hasn't happened very often ... but possibly twice in two weeks this month.

Anxious to see us step up and show the rest of the hoops world that we are for real.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Biggest challenge to date for sure. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. We don't have many games like this all year so we need to win these if we want a higher seed come Tournament time.

By GoLU_13_21
Those on the Vandy board are pretty sure they'll come away with the W. After so many seasons watching LU I think this will be a

Vandy 85
LU 79

Outcome. They have two that will make it to the basket in the lane.
By chris leedlelee
I truly believe that we are better than last year, and we beat a Mississippi State team that is arguably better than Vandy. I don't see why we shouldn't be favored. ESPN actually has us as a 60% favorite.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: December 14th, 2019, 2:11 pm ESPN actually has us as a 60% favorite.
Finally some RESPECT. :clapping
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I would dare say the consensus is we are better than we were last year. I fear we lose this game because I'm a jaded Liberty fan.

With that said, I think we have proven we are better than Vanderbilt but will it translate to a win? Who know but my gut says no.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
As of today our SOS is 348. Vandy and LSU should get us in the 200s but the ASUN, outside of N Florida is very week unlike last year. That's not going to help with seeding in the NCAA tournament. Duquesne one of the 5 unbeaten teams left is beating Radfor by 17 at half.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm I would dare say the consensus is we are better than we were last year. I fear we lose this game because I'm a jaded Liberty fan.

With that said, I think we have proven we are better than Vanderbilt but will it translate to a win? Who know but my gut says no.
I have the same feeling. Hope we're wrong though.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TV? I see SEC Network+, but it is not shown on my Direct TV guide on 611 or alternate. TIA
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I believe if you have the sec network you should be able to use the watch espn app. That is what I plan on using
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm TV? I see SEC Network+, but it is not shown on my Direct TV guide
I've got the SEC Network on DishNetwork, and the game is not showing there either. :frustrated :banghead
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
SEC Network+ is streaming only. As mentioned above, you can watch it through the ESPN watch app if your TV provider shows the SEC network in your programming package.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks, I think I can stream it on my Chromecast.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You can tell both teams have been off for a while. May be a few minutes for both teams to settle in
By LU 57
Struggling against their length. Vandy getting hands in our passing lanes.

We are getting open looks though. Hopefully, we can start knocking them down.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]