If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
A Sea of Red wrote: February 21st, 2020, 10:07 am Updated Bracketology watch for the Flames this morning:

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-brack ... h-week-16/
There are limitless variables and they change from week to week. Nevertheless, this is fun to kick around. I especially like the ESPN projection that week for a #12 Liberty vs. #5 Michigan State match up. I am not particularly confident Liberty would be competitive in that game like we were last year vs. #5 Mississippi State - HOWEVER - the opportunity to play a high profile team like Michigan State and Coach Izzo is HUGE. We all know Michigan State has a massive fan base and is a national program that even the casual fan pays attention to. Just being paired against Sparty creates enormous exposure for Liberty - especially in the Midwest/BigTen country.

In short - if Liberty is going to suffer a first round loss, please let it be at the hands of a high profile team with a massive fan base so LU gets the exposure.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LU is projected to face Colorado as a 12 seed in the Midwest region according to the latest Bracketology. Virginia is a 9 seed in the same region which would set up a TB-RMK showdown in the Sweet 16 if we beat the Buffs and the Penn St./North Texas winner in R32 (and UVa beat Illinois and Kansas)
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
BJWilliams wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm LU is projected to face Colorado as a 12 seed in the Midwest region according to the latest Bracketology. Virginia is a 9 seed in the same region which would set up a TB-RMK showdown in the Sweet 16 if we beat the Buffs and the Penn St./North Texas winner in R32 (and UVa beat Illinois and Kansas)
Liberty could also meet Baylor for the national title in the same bracket. Both are about as likely to happen.
PAmedic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:16 am
A Sea of Red wrote: February 21st, 2020, 10:07 am Updated Bracketology watch for the Flames this morning:

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-brack ... h-week-16/
There are limitless variables and they change from week to week. Nevertheless, this is fun to kick around. I especially like the ESPN projection that week for a #12 Liberty vs. #5 Michigan State match up. I am not particularly confident Liberty would be competitive in that game like we were last year vs. #5 Mississippi State - HOWEVER - the opportunity to play a high profile team like Michigan State and Coach Izzo is HUGE. We all know Michigan State has a massive fan base and is a national program that even the casual fan pays attention to. Just being paired against Sparty creates enormous exposure for Liberty - especially in the Midwest/BigTen country.

In short - if Liberty is going to suffer a first round loss, please let it be at the hands of a high profile team with a massive fan base so LU gets the exposure.
Not sure how anyone could feel that way after last year. If we were to get a 12 seed, there are likely going to be 5 seeds in the bracket we are capable of beating. I'm no longer satisfied with first round "exposure". Pulling for a favorable matchup like we had against Mississippi State.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 9:28 am
BJWilliams wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm LU is projected to face Colorado as a 12 seed in the Midwest region according to the latest Bracketology. Virginia is a 9 seed in the same region which would set up a TB-RMK showdown in the Sweet 16 if we beat the Buffs and the Penn St./North Texas winner in R32 (and UVa beat Illinois and Kansas)
Liberty could also meet Baylor for the national title in the same bracket. Both are about as likely to happen.
Not saying it's likely necessarily but I was looking across the line and if things fell a certain way, that is something to look forward to on the second weekend of the tournament
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 2:25 pm I am thinking anywhere from 8 to 14. Not too many teams will have 30 wins
Yeah, but did they play anyone? :lol:

(Just to ask your question back to you)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 2:25 pm I am thinking anywhere from 8 to 14. Not too many teams will have 30 wins
Wow. Really going out on a limb, aren't we? I see no way we are better than an 11 or worse than a 13.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sometimes teams get a decent seed, only to get shafted in 2nd round by match ups created with other teams and seeds. More on this later.
By Didlibertywin
The selection committee will set it up for a 11-14 seed to pull an upset. It gives them ratings and creates a buzz. Liberty was one of those teams with a favorable match up last year because they thought we could pull it off, and we did. I think they'll give us another favorable match up this year. Hopefully it's Greensboro.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Didlibertywin wrote: March 10th, 2020, 12:51 pm The selection committee will set it up for a 11-14 seed to pull an upset. It gives them ratings and creates a buzz. Liberty was one of those teams with a favorable match up last year because they thought we could pull it off, and we did. I think they'll give us another favorable match up this year. Hopefully it's Greensboro.
I disagree that Liberty was given a favorable match-up and setup for victory. We were an underdog playing 3,000 miles from home and played our best game of the year on a national stage. The team earned the first Liberty MBB win in NCAA postseason history. Please don't cheapen it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The selection committee swears they don't consider "matchups" in making the bracket, and for the most part I believe them. Mississippi State was a good matchup for us because they were a turnover-prone team, not because they weren't talented and a legit 5 seed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If anyone believes the Selection Committee, I have some prime beach front property in Morgantown, WV for sale. The committee considers matchups, regardless of what they say. They always cherry pick certain teams for easy tournament, and some for tough tournament.
Andy Katz (whoever he is) has LU projected as a 12 seed playing Auburn in Sacramento. I hope he's wrong.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I have seen a few projections with us playing Auburn but I hope its not in Sacramento.
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]