If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Liberty up to 17 in the NET rankings. Man, I sure hope we beat LSU. It's crazy how big that game will be. It potentially holds our ticket to an at large and a top 25 ranking.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Our schedule has been really weak so far and we play in a very weak conference. It is going to be really tough for us to get the respect needed to get ranked. If we win against LSU and are still unranked then I am not sure we will be ranked unless we go undefeated.
adam42381 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm Our schedule has been really weak so far and we play in a very weak conference. It is going to be really tough for us to get the respect needed to get ranked. If we win against LSU and are still unranked then I am not sure we will be ranked unless we go undefeated.
Our schedule is a part of it. If we were a P5 team with the exact resume, we'd be ranked though. I think it has more to do with respect than strength of schedule. Strength of schedule is what will be said, but there are other reasons we won't be ranked.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, our conference affiliation certianly plays a role. I actually kind of hope we stay unranked. I like having added motivation haha. Plus we aren't a top 25 team at this point anyways.
By Jonathan Carone
If we were a P5, there'd be an assumption of talent level that would justify the ranking.

As a team in the ASun, that assumption simply isn't there. We're working from behind the 8-ball and have to go above and beyond to earn the ranking. For now at least. Keep doing things like what we're doing this year and eventually the benefit of the doubt will come.

The best case study is Gonzaga.

The 98-99 Gonzaga team was 25-6 going into the NCAA tournament as a 12 seed. That’s the first year they made their run to the Elite 8.

The following year, they were 24-8 going into the tournament and made a run to the Sweet 16. No ranking.

In 2000-2001, they were 26-4 (13-1 in conference) and made a Sweet 16 run. No ranking.

In 2001-2002, after starting 7-2, they broke in at #25 for the first time. They went 29-4 that year and finished the season ranked 6th overall.

Since then, despite being in a bad league, they've gotten the respect they deserve.

We may not ever get ranked this year, but we're on a trajectory that could lead us to some special places in the coming years.
thepostman, LUOrange, adam42381 and 2 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And the ASun is really bad. Worse than it was last year. So if we beat LSU and still aren't ranked (a good possibility) than we probably won't be.

Gonzaga at their infancy is a great reference point. We aren't Gonzaga at this stage but the pieces are here to build a special program.
ATrain liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I get it and agree. We can only hope we're on the Gonzaga trajectory. Obviously that's a best case scenario, but we're making great strides.

For me it's more about branding and positioning for the next conference realignment. Having a number by our name is important to show we can compete and bring something of value to the AAC. The casual fan doesn't even bother watching your games until their is a number by your name.

The AAC will have an easier time selling us to their fan base if they can say they added a ranked team to their league. Let's be honest, most fan bases will need something to overcome their perceived baggage that we bring. I know it's a long shot, but hey, I'm a fan so long shots is what I do.

I also think, we have a good case for being a top 25 team based on resume. The BPI shows our resume being the 10th best in the country and the NET has us at 17. Despite playing no great teams, we've seen how easy it is for great teams to lose to inferior opponents. I mean, isn't it 5 or 6 number one ranked teams have lost already. Kentucky lost to a crummy Evansville team and is still ranked.

Based on talent, I think we have a tougher sell, but I'm a believer that rankings should be based on resume more than perceived skill level. That's too subjective for me. Anyway, it's unlikely we get ranked this year, but keep winning and it all will resolve itself. Just will be a little more uphill than I'd like.
LUOrange liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Kricket wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm I'm a believer that rankings should be based on resume more than perceived skill level.
You're not wrong in that belief. But we both know unfortunately that's how the world works.
Kricket liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
A lot of you seem to be obsessed with a Top 25 ranking.
We are not a Top 25 team. We're just not. And that is ok.

What I don't want is for LU to sneak into the Top 25 undeservingly and then get embarrassed. I'm just fine staying out of the Top 25 and remaining undefeated.

To me, being the only remaining undefeated team in the nation is much more valuable than a Top 25 ranking. There is a lot more to discuss (good and bad) with remaining undefeated. People will want to know - who is this Liberty team? They will go back and forth debating the weakness of our schedule and conference vs. our undefeated record and there is a lot of mileage we get out of that. It's press. Good press - bad press. It's all good press as long as they spell your name right.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Being ranked in the Top 25 might be Rat Poison. I agree, but hope we are able to secure a decent seeding.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I don't get the logic. Don't get ranked high because we might lose? :dontgetit

Being undefeated and ranked are not mutually exclusive. Both are great things and both draw attention to the program.

Our mission in sports is to ultimately draw attention to the school and our faith. When you're casually scrolling through channels and there's a game with a top 25 team and two unranked teams, which one is more likely to draw your attention?

Even my wife knows a team is good by seeing the number next to the name on the bottom of the screen. It develops our brand. You don't think recruits see that? You don't think they'd tell their friends they got an offer from a top 25 team?

I guess my point is it matters to me because it matters to others. Same reason you dress nice when you go to a job interview. Perception.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I guess my thinking is I know we aren't actually a top 25 team yet. We are really good but just not quite there yet.

With that said, it will be really, really cool if we are ranked if we beat LSU.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 24th, 2019, 12:22 pm A lot of you seem to be obsessed with a Top 25 ranking.
We are not a Top 25 team. We're just not. And that is ok.

What I don't want is for LU to sneak into the Top 25 undeservingly and then get embarrassed. I'm just fine staying out of the Top 25 and remaining undefeated.

To me, being the only remaining undefeated team in the nation is much more valuable than a Top 25 ranking. There is a lot more to discuss (good and bad) with remaining undefeated. People will want to know - who is this Liberty team? They will go back and forth debating the weakness of our schedule and conference vs. our undefeated record and there is a lot of mileage we get out of that. It's press. Good press - bad press. It's all good press as long as they spell your name right.
This post is so contradictory. You say being undefeated is press, good press, bad press. Whatever.

Isn't being top 25 the same? Explain how being top 25 isn't a sign we're getting press? It's literally votes from the press that get us in the top 25. :lol:

Also, you say we're not to 25 like it's a fact. The NET and our actual resume on ESPNs BPI indicate otherwise.

I don't think our talent is top 25 either. I don't really care. We have a resume that is worthy of being in the top 25 and being there would be great for the university.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Also, I find it slightly obnoxious when people come to a thread titled "poll watching" and pretend they have no interest in the polls.

I shouldn't have to explain this... but... you may read more comments about the polls in this thread in the future.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Don't get me wrong, I may think we aren't a top 25 team but I am very interested in the polls. I'm a walking contradiction I know :lol:
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:51 pm Don't get me wrong, I may think we aren't a top 25 team but I am very interested in the polls. I'm a walking contradiction I know :lol:
No, that's a healthy stance. I feel the same.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:51 pm Don't get me wrong, I may think we aren't a top 25 team but I am very interested in the polls. I'm a walking contradiction I know :lol:
The way this year is shaking out I don’t see why LU couldn’t be considered Top 25 with a win over LSU. There are no dominant teams this year. On any given night LU could be one of the Top 25 programs in the a Country.
Kricket, thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I came to this thread because at first glance, I was thinking pole watch. North Pole, pole dancing, you get the idea. :)
Kricket liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:16 pm I came to this thread because at first glance, I was thinking pole watch. North Pole, pole dancing, you get the idea. :)
We’re you specifically hoping for one option over the others?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:15 pm
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:16 pm I came to this thread because at first glance, I was thinking pole watch. North Pole, pole dancing, you get the idea. :)
We’re you specifically hoping for one option over the others?
Absolutely. 8) 8) 8)
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 24th, 2019, 4:59 pm I don't get the logic. Don't get ranked high because we might lose? :dontgetit
Being undefeated is an accomplishment. It does not mean, however, that we are one of the best 25 teams in the country. It would be better for the team to play the underdog, with a chip on their shoulder, than to be over confident because of being "ranked."
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]