If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
Tough for Liberty to climb in the rankings with teams like Kentucky Christian and Trinity Baptist on the schedule.

I checked out Trinity Baptist...
Not only are they win-less, they actually lost in OT to a Community College.
They share a campus with a Kindergarten and Elementary school. See campus map here... http://www.tbc.edu/map

I honestly believe it would be better to play no one than to play this level of competition.
By cruzan_flame13
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 4:19 pm Tough for Liberty to climb in the rankings with teams like Kentucky Christian and Trinity Baptist on the schedule.

They share a campus with a Kindergarten and Elementary school. See campus map here... http://www.tbc.edu/map

I honestly believe it would be better to play no one than to play this level of competition.
I don't like it either, but we just have to build on what we have. I'm sure McKay did his best to get some decent schools on the schedule. Oldflame did make a good point about teams not wanting to lose to us, although I find it hard to believe that it was hard to at least find more games against at least the top 125 teams. Nonetheless i'm not there when the schedule is being arranged so who knows. Hopefully our schedules will be better in 2020 and onward.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 4:19 pm Tough for Liberty to climb in the rankings with teams like Kentucky Christian and Trinity Baptist on the schedule.

These games do NOT affect our rankings............... AT ALL. They are treated as if they do not exist by all the rating services. It would be much worse from that standpoint to schedule more bottom feeder D1 teams like Maryland-Eastern Shore and SC State. They actually count. As far as playing more high major opponents is concerned, after a while I/we get tired of saying it. We can't force those teams to play us, and right now we are not an attractive matchup for them. Too much to lose and too little to gain.

For the record, we are currently ranked second in the CI mid-major poll and actually received a first place vote, which means somebody thought we were better than Gonzaga. :shock:
By LUDad
I think the packline defense has a lot to do with the difficulty in getting good games. I would relate it to no one wanting to play a good triple option team. It gets your team all out of sorts.
By Geraldos Mustache
oldflame wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

These games do NOT affect our rankings............... AT ALL. They are treated as if they do not exist by all the rating services. It would be much worse from that standpoint to schedule more bottom feeder D1 teams like Maryland-Eastern Shore and SC State. They actually count. As far as playing more high major opponents is concerned, after a while I/we get tired of saying it. We can't force those teams to play us, and right now we are not an attractive matchup for them. Too much to lose and too little to gain.

For the record, we are currently ranked second in the CI mid-major poll and actually received a first place vote, which means somebody thought we were better than Gonzaga. :shock:
Old Flame - your comments are duly noted. I understand that these games "don't count" against our rankings. They "do count" toward our record. They are not exhibition games. We are 10-0 and there are articles patting Liberty on the back for achieving a 10-0 record for the first time in school history etc.

But who did we play?

Mark my words - we are going to have a very attractive record approaching the Tournament. I believe we will win our Conference, win our Conference Tournament and head back to the NCAA. How will they seed us? I am concerned these games will negatively impact us.

This is a quality team. Probably better than last year. I don't want anything to take away from the quality product LU is building.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
AP poll had us 31st for their latest poll. It is possible depending on what happens this week to the teams in front of us that when we beat Vandy that we make the jump to 25th in the nation!
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm AP poll had us 31st for their latest poll. It is possible depending on what happens this week to the teams in front of us that when we beat Vandy that we make the jump to 25th in the nation!
There are currently only two people voting for LU (Mark Berman and Sam Blum), so you're going to need to get a lot more people to add LU to their ballots before getting into the top 25.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We are far from a top 25 team. We are better than last year, but I am not drinking the Kool Aid. If we beat Vandy and LSU than maybe we should get a few votes. Right now, our undefeated record is artificially propping us up. IMHO.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, it does stink that we haven't played some better teams, but from what I saw last night GCU has a really good chance of winning their conference as does Radford in the Big South. Yet, I am super grateful we have beaten everyone and taken care of business in each of those games unlike Puke and Craptucky.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:49 pm We are far from a top 25 team. We are better than last year, but I am not drinking the Kool Aid. If we beat Vandy and LSU than maybe we should get a few votes. Right now, our undefeated record is artificially propping us up. IMHO.
You couldn't be more right. Our team is great but closer to 50 than 25. And one loss, and we won't get a single top 25 vote.
By Jonathan Carone
I’d agree with top 50 more than top 25. It’s nice to get the recognition but unfortunately we don’t have tons of opportunity to show how good we are this year to earn a higher ranking.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
No we shouldn't be ranked in basketball, mostly because of our poor schedule. But then again, if one believes App State is the 22nd best football team in the country, than yeah, we should be ranked in the top 5. :) Polls are pretty much useless.
ballcoach15 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
You have a point there flaneshaw but it will be nice to see that number and Liberty's name beside it. We need all the national attention that we're blessed with.
Dalegarz1, flameshaw liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If we can get ranked, it will be good PR for University.

A bowl game and ranked basketball team this week will bring us PR nationwide.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
If we're undefeated through LSU, I think we get in the top 25. Not before then though.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The AP (Writer's) Poll are generous. The USA Today Coaches Poll not so much.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I know im in the minority on this but i dont mind flying under the radar. Atleast until lsu. I certainly dont think we will be this week but if we win both games this weekend we certainly could heading to lsu and then if we win all 3 i certainly think we will be ranked after lsu.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]