If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I will say this though. As bad as the college game is at the top, the bubble resumes from the major conference teams are going to be as bad as they have ever been. If there isn’t a plethora of total tournament long shots pulling off upsets and winning their conference tournament, committee might not have much of a choice to deny a LU team whose only losses are LSU and the ASun title game. If they beat LSU and run through the ASun for all but the title game, LU is a lock.
Kricket liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: December 15th, 2019, 10:56 pm I will say this though. As bad as the college game is at the top, the bubble resumes from the major conference teams are going to be as bad as they have ever been. If there isn’t a plethora of total tournament long shots pulling off upsets and winning their conference tournament, committee might not have much of a choice to deny a LU team whose only losses are LSU and the ASun title game. If they beat LSU and run through the ASun for all but the title game, LU is a lock.
Yeah, the only way LU could get an at large is if they don't lose until the title game. Unfortunately, the offense is just not consistent enough right now for me to think that'll happen. In my mind it is ASun title or bust.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 15th, 2019, 11:51 pm The NET rankings come out tomorrow. It should give us a good idea if we have a shot at an at large.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -20-season
Second year in a row that they should have just waited until the new year to release the rankings. Far too little data for for their formula to make reasonable rankings.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: December 16th, 2019, 9:41 pm
Kricket wrote: December 15th, 2019, 11:51 pm The NET rankings come out tomorrow. It should give us a good idea if we have a shot at an at large.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -20-season
Second year in a row that they should have just waited until the new year to release the rankings. Far too little data for for their formula to make reasonable rankings.
I think this year they waited about 2 weeks longer. Either way, I think it shows Liberty has a real shot at an at large if we keep winning.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
It’s going to change quite significantly. Remember, it had some ridiculous team like Davidson #1 last year in the first release. And two weeks longer of a wait at this time of year is pretty insignificant with many teams having a light schedule due to exams.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
So here's another shocking update to our BPI Projections. We currently sit at 31st in the BPI however our resume is the 10th best in the country and should be projected as a 3 seed based on the BPI resume... :shock:

Here is the updated game by game projection:
@LSU - 34.6%
@FGCU - 94.8%
@NJIT - 88.2%
N. ALA - 97.2%
Jacksonville - 95.8%
Lipscomb - 94.9%
@N. Florida - 77.4%
@Stetson - 92.2%
Kennesaw St. - 98.8%
FGCU - 98.8%
@Jacksonville - 87.2%
@ N. Ala - 90.2%
NJIT - 96.3%
N. Florida - 92.7%
Stetson - 97.9%
@Kennesaw St. - 96%
@Lipscomb - 81.5%

The new projected is 29.15-1.85. Our odds of being undefeated are 9.578% and they go up to at least 28% with a win at LSU.

Right now, in terms of tournament projections, the BPI has us projected as a 7.1 seed with the predicted tournament results:
Round of 32: 59.5%
Sweet 16: 26.2%
Elite 8: 11.5%
Final Four: 4.8%
Championship Game: 1.6%
National Champs: 0.6%

Better teams then us have lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament, but our odds in the tournament are better than Kentucky, Wisconsin, Indiana, BYU, etc.

Obviously this is skewed a bit, because it's unlikely we get a 7 seed in the tournament, however this is ESPNs projections so it carries a fair amount of weight. I'm continuously surprised by this team and far Ritchie McKay has helped the program come.

It's hard to say that any coach in the country would have done a better job than McKay has over the last 5 years. I know we're focused on football and Hugh Freeze, but McKay is the best coach we have on the mountain. We need to do whatever we can to keep McKay around for the long -term.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am
It's hard to say that any coach in the country would have done a better job than McKay has over the last 5 years. I know we're focused on football and Hugh Freeze, but McKay is the best coach we have on the mountain. We need to do whatever we can to keep McKay around for the long -term.
Absolutely. pay the man whatever he wants so he doesn't leave us
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
I don't know about "best coach on the mountain". IMO both Freeze and McKay are in the exact same category. That is, open checkbooks as long as they stay hungry, honest, and healthy. By healthy I mean, until they are too old to continue.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 12:05 pm I don't know about "best coach on the mountain". IMO both Freeze and McKay are in the exact same category. That is, open checkbooks as long as they stay hungry, honest, and healthy. By healthy I mean, until they are too old to continue.
I don't disagree Freeze could be what McKay is. The difference is McKay took a team ranked in the 300s and turned it into a team fighting for a top 25 ranking. He helped us consistently move about 70 slots up every year. What he's done is ridiculous to me.

This may be somewhat controversial, but I'm not sure Freeze has done much more than what Gill would have done. Granted, he seems to be setting us up for improvement much more than Gill would have in recruiting and branding, but we'd have to be competing for a top 25 spot in the next 4 years in football to match what McKay has done and I just don't see it happening.

Freeze, best case, does what McKay has already done, so edge to McKay.

This is also personal preference, but I like the way the basketball team embodies unselfishness and humility. They play like Christians should play, strange as that sounds. McKay coaches like a Christian should coach. I mean, the way our team shares the ball and helps on defense represents our faith and school well.

I'm not knocking Freeze or the football team at all by saying that, because I'm not sure how to do that in football. Football is much less personal so I think it's difficult to connect on that deep of a level, but those are the reasons I'd put McKay a notch above Freeze for our University.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Have people forgotten already how bad we were when McKay came back? This is no disrespect towards Freeze, but nothing he does will compare to the job McKay has done. We were one of the worst D1 teams in the nation when McKay got here and look at us now, flirting with the top 25. Freeze is a good coach but was given s solid foundation to work with. Comparing the 2 just doesn't do McKay justice.

With that said, I sure hope they both stick around for a long, long time.
Kricket, alabama24 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I kind of feel like some never realize how bad we were.

This post I had last year is a good snapshot.
viewtopic.php?t=26564

Here's our BPI since McKay took over:
Year - BPI
Mid 2019-2020- 33
2018-2019 - 58
2017-2018 - 130
2016-2017 - 206
2015-2016 - 293
2014-2015 - 327 -Layer's last year

I mean, good grief, that's crazy.

Compared to Freeze, who started with a 116 FPI and we sit at 97 now. That's good movement but I need to see more.
thepostman liked this
By LU 57
What HCRM has done is nothing short of miraculous. No one would ever dispute that. On top of it he is absolutely the perfect spokesman for our university. His love for the Lord and his players shine through in every interview.

Give HCHF time. The back issue was a real curve ball. I think we win at least one more had that not happened.

He and his staff brought in 15 3- star recruits this year, as well as Auburn’s back up QB and a starting SEC tackle. In 2018 we had 2 3-stars. This thing is just getting rolling.
thepostman, Kricket, chris leedlelee and 1 others liked this
By Jonathan Carone
What Ritchie has done this go around is what it felt like he could do the first time. Only difference is this version is much more sustainable. By the time this freshman class are seniors, we’re going to be at a level most of us only dreamt of being.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:58 am What Ritchie has done this go around is what it felt like he could do the first time. Only difference is this version is much more sustainable. By the time this freshman class are seniors, we’re going to be at a level most of us only dreamt of being.
IMO he needed those few extra years under Bennett to really “get it”. That isn’t something a lot of coaches get to do. It’s great for him that he did and Incredible for LU he’s here. He’s gone from a good coach to someone special
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think he has said that in a few interviews as well. Being an assistant at UVA under Bennett really transformed him as a coach.

I'm just glad he still loves the 3 ball :D
Purple Haize liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:15 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:58 am What Ritchie has done this go around is what it felt like he could do the first time. Only difference is this version is much more sustainable. By the time this freshman class are seniors, we’re going to be at a level most of us only dreamt of being.
IMO he needed those few extra years under Bennett to really “get it”. That isn’t something a lot of coaches get to do. It’s great for him that he did and Incredible for LU he’s here. He’s gone from a good coach to someone special
I agree completely. We could’ve caught lightning in a bottle with Ritchie 1.0.

Ritchie 2.0 is capable of building a juggernaut.
By chris leedlelee
LU 57 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:45 am What HCRM has done is nothing short of miraculous. No one would ever dispute that. On top of it he is absolutely the perfect spokesman for our university. His love for the Lord and his players shine through in every interview.

Give HCHF time. The back issue was a real curve ball. I think we win at least one more had that not happened.

He and his staff brought in 15 3- star recruits this year, as well as Auburn’s back up QB and a starting SEC tackle. In 2018 we had 2 3-stars. This thing is just getting rolling.
In spite of all that we STILL won a bowl game, just imagine Liberty football in a few years after some time rising in the FBS!
By Geraldos Mustache
Kricket wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:29 am
Here's our BPI since McKay took over:
Year - BPI
Mid 2019-2020- 33
2018-2019 - 58
2017-2018 - 130
2016-2017 - 206
2015-2016 - 293
2014-2015 - 327 -Layer's last year

Thank you for re-sharing this BPI progression. Can any coach/program in the nation boast of such results? I imagine in the past, some coaches/programs have been able to climb the ranks this quickly - but this is happening at Liberty NOW and we are so blessed to be experiencing this.

The recruits just keep getting better. The facilities just keep getting better. Another trip (with success) in the NCAA Tournament and LU is going to become a "regularly talked about" program that is consistently in the conversation.

The only thing lacking is a desirable schedule with challenging, bigger name teams (both on the road and in Lynchburg). That will come in time. Top recruits want to play big-time opponents in big-time games. I am confident we will get there.
Kricket liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I know many were angry when he left. I was not, but I was disappointed. However, I think his leaving and coming back was to our advantage. The time spent up north was worth it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I was pretty angry. Only because of how he said he was going to be with Liberty for a long, long time and not long after that he was gone. It stung at the time but looking back I can certianly understand why he did it and respect him a whole lot for it. It has made him a better man and a better coach. Can't argue that.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]