If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I knew something was up when he didn't dress for the game. I have been 99% sure he would eventually transfer for over a year, but was thinking he would do it as a grad transfer after this season. With the rapid emergence of Rode and Robinson, I guess he decided he just didn't want to spend another year riding the pine. Typical RMK class to have him remain a part of the team in all aspects except for games until he leaves (I assume after this semester.) Don't know if they have a spot for him, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him end up at W&M, where his brother played.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
What does this mean this year as well as going forward? I don't expect us to go with 8 players like we did last night on a regular basis. Our 9 and 10 players right now are the 2 redshirt FR, Preston and Price. Maide is out with an injury and we were planning to redshirt him, but apparently it is not something that should keep him out all year, so he may be an option later. Of course the other thing this does is open up another scholarship for the class of 2020. I could definitely see us going the grad transfer route again, since we are losing so many veterans and now would only have one Senior (Cuffee).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For those who are questioning Keegan's timing, the cliche "hindsight is 20/20" comes to mind. Easy to say he should have done it last Spring, but from everything I have heard, the kid absolutely loved being a part of this team, and although I'm sure he was disappointed with his role last year, I think with Gumbs graduating he believed he had a shot at more minutes. Then Rode and Robinson come in and immediately blow by him on the depth chart. The only negative for him is that if he transfers in January he will actually only have a season and a half at his new school.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but it seems clear as day. With Ritchie making the generous and almost unprecidented move to invite Keegan to continue to be a part of the team, working out, practicing, and doing all the things any red-shirt who had NOT announced he is going to transfer does, it would be foolish for him to transfer in January. He can stay right where he is, and is almost certainly on track to graduate in the Spring. Then he can transfer as a grad student and play immediately with 2 full seasons of eligibility remaining.
By hoop20
oldflame wrote: December 5th, 2019, 5:19 pm I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but it seems clear as day. With Ritchie making the generous and almost unprecidented move to invite Keegan to continue to be a part of the team, working out, practicing, and doing all the things any red-shirt who had NOT announced he is going to transfer does, it would be foolish for him to transfer in January. He can stay right where he is, and is almost certainly on track to graduate in the Spring. Then he can transfer as a grad student and play immediately with 2 full seasons of eligibility remaining.
I thought the same thing. If he played for 3 years and graduated in 3 years, he would still have 2 years to play at his new school and would not need to redshirt. This makes me think he is leaving in January. The timing is certainly weird.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I certainly didn't see that coming! :shock: Maybe he tested the waters but didn't like anything better than old LU. I wonder if he's got a GF here? :cheerleader
By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
KEEGAN MCDOWELL HAS BEEN “UNEXPECTED BLESSING” FOR LIBERTY BASKETBALL
By: Jon Manson

A great write up from Manson about the journey that McDowell has had with the Flames. From deciding to transfer, to changing his mind and now to flourishing in Coach McKay's program. All of this capped off by receiving conference player of the week honors this past week.

I think it is safe to say that we are all happy he had a change of heart, including McDowell.

SOURCE
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]