If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
2 seconds of wisdom?
With our schedule we should win plenty of games. We will lose one or two we should not.
Same as we saw in the last game of the touney last year our lack of power in the paint will bite them in the arse.
Power in the paint tonight would have locked this down in the second half.
I hope I am wrong and game one did not give me enough information to be wise.
Great win especially on the resiliency side cause the beat us hard in the second half. I hope they remember this half and use it all year as motivation.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Went to the game tonight. Great atmosphere. Would be nice to get back to the days of old in there on a consistent basis and use the new arena for volleyball.

Parking in the parking garage is a big mistake. Sitting still for 15 mins. Smh.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Radford is a good team that should win the Big South, ballcoach and Jones is preseason POY.

As for the game, we have two future stars in Rode and Robinson. It was disappointing to see them going away from Scottie when the shots weren’t falling instead we were taking wild shot clock buzzer beating shots. A lot of breakdowns on defense in the second half as well.

Nice crowd. They need to be consistently loud.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: November 8th, 2019, 11:06 pm Went to the game tonight. Great atmosphere. Would be nice to get back to the days of old in there on a consistent basis and use the new arena for volleyball.

Parking in the parking garage is a big mistake. Sitting still for 15 mins. Smh.
No no no...can't do that. We must play in a smaller arena all the time. Everyone knows that here will not be a home court advantage in the Vines Center. Can we even get more than 4000 fans ever???
Best thing to do is make sure to only allow visiting teams that no one knows about.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Rode and Robinson are the real deal. They looked more composed and efficient than most of our returners. Thought Robinson deserved more minutes (8 points and 2 assists in 10 minutes). No way we can redshirt either of them. Guard play has definitely regressed with the departure of Cabbil. McGhee and Pacheco didn't play well. May have to go with a bigger lineup more often. Not much depth at the guard position, unless Price can contribute (especially without McDowell). After hearing so much about him, would have liked to see what Preston has to offer inside. Looked great on both sides of the ball in the first half. We have the potential to be better than last year. Glad roundball is back. Go Flames!
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Solid win. Radford lacks the outside shooting but they are athletic and long and jones is as good as anybody we will see.

Random thoughts
Myo outplayed scottie again
Two frosh are going to be studs
Crowd was great
Mcdowell..terrible timing. Should have been done earlier
Will need to work price in to the mix if mcdowell is leaving and maide is out for season.
Still curious to see preston as well.
Free throw shooting killed us.
Radford is solid defensively
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but he's still going to lose a year of eligibility even if he's getting redshirted. Sitting out is kind of selfish, IMO. You might as well play and contribute then transfer so you don't lose a year. All this sounds like he got his feelings hurt with Robinson getting minutes.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: November 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm No offensive rebounding all night.
Most college teams are weak on offensive boards. Soon as shot is released. Other 4 players immediately drop back on defense. Personally I don't like it. I like for 2 guards release and get back on defense, then 3 players crash the boards. Also, by doing this, you can pressure inbound play if shot is good, and maybe steal ball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my memory is correct. Jones and #11 scored 45 of Radfords 60 points. Jones had 6 at halftime. For whatever the reason, our defense didn't come out of locker room to start 2nd half.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 11:23 am
Just John wrote: November 8th, 2019, 10:13 pm No offensive rebounding all night.
Most college teams are weak on offensive boards. Soon as shot is released. Other 4 players immediately drop back on defense. Personally I don't like it. I like for 2 guards release and get back on defense, then 3 players crash the boards. Also, by doing this, you can pressure inbound play if shot is good, and maybe steal ball
Unstubstantiated, but stated as a fact in typical bc fashion. How much emphasis is placed on offensive rebounding varies greatly from team to team depending on their system and the coach's philosophy. McKay, Bennett and other coaches who build their team around the pack line defense, want their opponents to have to face that D with their half court offense on every possession. A premium is placed on NOT allowing fast breaks, and when you crash the boards with 3 or more players, you open yourself up to that.

It's worked out fairly well for both Liberty and UVA just won a national championship with it, but I'm sure you believe they'd both be better doing things your way.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’ll[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]