If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I've been looking into going to this tournament, and was pleasantly surprised to find both a flight and lodging (in a nice hostel with great reviews) are affordable. Thinking I just may just do it. Anyone else planning to go?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What kind of hotel prices, oldflame?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For anyone who may be thinking about it, here is some info on costs I have picked up so far. Everything is based on a 4 day trip departing on 11/21 and returning on 11/25. I would expect some might consider a longer stay while you are there. You will need a passport. The Bahamas actually does not require it for entry, but since 2009, US citizens traveling abroad by air need one to re-enter the country.

Airfare: My situation is unique, but for those in the Burg/VA/Carolinas the round trip fare from RDU to Nassau on American Airlines is as low as $342.

Admission: All sessions pass for up to 12 games is $40.

Lodging: Rooms in the "official" tournament resort start at $215/night. Unlimited bus pass to and from the tourney site from there is $40. As one may expect in a tourist destination like this, there is a HUGE choice, and a lot depends on how particular you are, but overall, it is not cheap. In looking at "budget" hotels (for me under $100/night) almost all of them are dumps based on reviews. I would say you could probably get something pretty nice for 150-200, but that really wasn't an option for me. I have used hostels in the past, and never had a bad experience, so I looked into that, and found a couple of places that had excellent reviews where a bed in a dormitory situation is under $50. Not for everyone, but if I pull the trigger on this, that's the way I will go.

Transportation: Still looking into public transportation options. Some higher-end hotels provide free airport transfers. Otherwise you are looking at $30 and up each way for a taxi. Car rentals from the airport start at $60/day for a compact. If I had at least 1 other person to split the cost, I would definately rent a car.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I remember when we played in the Bahamas over Christmas back in the day. Those stories were and are legendary at my school. Ha
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This tournament just got a lot more interesting. The Evansville team that beat #1 Kentucky last night is in the field. I'd love to see us play them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Evansville is actually playing ECU in their opening round game. If we meet them, it would be in the final.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Rice would be a good second round match-up; they're sitting at 4-1. Would arguably be our toughest game to that point.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: November 16th, 2019, 9:05 pm Rice would be a good second round match-up; they're sitting at 4-1. Would arguably be our toughest game to that point.
Let's get past Navy first.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: November 17th, 2019, 9:57 am
LU Grad 11 wrote: November 16th, 2019, 9:05 pm Rice would be a good second round match-up; they're sitting at 4-1. Would arguably be our toughest game to that point.
Obviously, and Morgan State in the first round of the showcase. Rice would have to get past Milwaukee, as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: November 17th, 2019, 9:57 am
The thread is about the Bahamas Showcase. It IS permissible to discuss future matchups.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Because the original venue is still being used to house people from other islands displaced by Dorian, the tourney will now be played in an actual ballroom at the BahaMar Resort.

"Intimate" Nice spin. :D Maybe it's just me, but that ceiling looks awfully low. Seating won't be an issue. Crowds are always sparse for these things, except for maybe the big ones in Hawaii.

In looking at my options, I decided going to the tourney was not a wise use of my resources. Since I actually have a view of the Caribbean from my front door, the beach and weather don't mean a lot to me. I would have been going for the basketball. I'm excited about (weather permitting) going to see the Vanderbilt game on the 14th, which is a 5 hour drive from my sister's house, where I will be spending 3 weeks over the holidays. It will be the first Liberty game of any sport I have seen in person in years.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I would think. The picture was taken in a way that makes the ceiling looked lower than it is, but I still think it is too low.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If the drop ceiling comes out, wouldn't you lose most of your lighting. :dontgetit This sounds like a problem for Ballcoach and his sources to figure out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 20th, 2019, 12:28 pm That drop ceiling has to come out, right?
Not sure if that's possible, but if it is, I would think they would have done it BEFORE laying the basketball floor. They will have to have some "ground rules" for what happens if a ball hits the ceiling.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Looking at the door frames on the far wall I estimate that ceiling to be about 18-20 ft high tops. That's pretty low. I honestly think it's more like 16 ft.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 20th, 2019, 8:13 pm Am I wrong to think this tournament looks and feels like a joke now?
The field is certainly no joke. The venue situation is unfortunate, but it was out the organizer's control. I highly doubt the resort would have agreed to temporarily house the hurricane victims staying at the original venue so the games could be played there.
By Jonathan Carone
I know the field isn’t a joke. The venue just makes it feel illegitimate. I get the reason for it and totally understand, but it’s all but guaranteed some weird bounce off the ceiling is going to mess up at least one game. And who knows what it’ll be like to shoot in there.

I guess what I’m most bummed about is this was going to be some really good basketball and now it feels like that’ll be taken away because of the venue.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
There's no way that ceiling is high enough to shoot a 3-ball or maybe even a three throw. :shock:
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 20th, 2019, 8:47 pm I know the field isn’t a joke. The venue just makes it feel illegitimate. I get the reason for it and totally understand, but it’s all but guaranteed some weird bounce off the ceiling is going to mess up at least one game. And who knows what it’ll be like to shoot in there.

I guess what I’m most bummed about is this was going to be some really good basketball and now it feels like that’ll be taken away because of the venue.
Agreed. There's gotta be a better option than that you'd think.
By LU 57
A local HS or athletic club would be better. Shoot, setting up the floor in a parking lot might be better.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]