If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:49 pm Yeah, something's gotta give. Is there any word on an expanded limit for next year?
I think at a minimum they will allow the return of all current players (including Seniors) plus those already signed in the early period. For Liberty, that would put them at 15 if both Parker and Cuffee return. The next question is, what happens if someone transfers out in the Spring? Can they replace them even though they are at or above the normal limit of 13, or is their limit now 15 regardless?

Of course, none of this addresses the issue after next year, when you still have a roster full of players who have been given an extra year of eligibility. I wonder if the geniuses in Indy even gave a thought to the Pandora's box they were opening? I still haven't heard an explanation as to the rationale behind it. I can totally understand allowing anyone who chooses to opt out without losing a year. Giving an extra year to athletes who played a full season really doesn't seem to be justified or make sense.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Whatever decisions need to made will take shape as the season progresses. So many unanswered questions remain. Dobbs is an interesting case. Fiery little guy who can create off dribble. Listed at 6-3, but that's his wingspan, not his standing height.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:20 am
Cider Jim wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:02 pm
oldflame wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:15 amWe haven't had a recruit who put up the kind of numbers he has been this year since Zach Farquar's dad Steve scored 49 a game and led the nation in scoring for tiny Blue Anchor Christian in NJ.
My source says the older Farquar didn't even attend a high school that owned a gym. All his games were away games! :shock:
Welcome to the homeschool life. The Sanders boys & Ryan Kemrite did OK without a home gym. I go back to my question about Scar. It is not like he's calling games right now.
That's an interesting point. A player develops top-end skills playing one on one. Jesse Sanders was not disadvantaged in a tiny homeschool league, but, on the contrary, in a quite favorable position w/Tom Sanders as an older brother and very challenging sparring partner. He pushed Jesse beyond perceived limits. Coaches, systems, and league play cannot teach you that. The only way to build high-level skills is to be challenged to the point where you are forced into a situation where you have to create.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts

Our 2021 class continues to put up video game numbers. Peebles has always been a scoring machine, but Venzant has really exploded this year. Likely explanation is that his 4 star backcourt mate the last couple of years has transferred, leaving Joseph to carry the load. Looks like he is doing all he can. 8)
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 6th, 2021, 11:53 am Venzant is an explosive player. So excited to see him contributing in a Liberty Flames uniform next season!
He most resembles a considerably more athletic version of Cuffee. I expect Cuff will be returning next year, otherwise Venzant would be pretty much a plug and play replacement. His recent scoring and rebounding heroics aside, he is first and foremost an ELITE defender.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I've never heard Ritchie talk about recruits before they arrived on campus the way he does about Peebles and Venzant. It's usually like he is from Missouri. It would be great if Cuff and Parker come back, but I also would not be surprised if they both get reduced minutes. I think these guys are just too good to ride the pine.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ritchie isn't exactly hiding his affection for Peebles. It's pretty safe to assume that he's playing. We had something like a 9 man rotation the year we advanced in the tourney. So, there's a way to make it work, successfully.
By Geraldos Mustache
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:31 pm I've never heard Ritchie talk about recruits before they arrived on campus the way he does about Peebles and Venzant. It's usually like he is from Missouri. It would be great if Cuff and Parker come back, but I also would not be surprised if they both get reduced minutes. I think these guys are just too good to ride the pine.
Probably too early, but how would you compare Peebles and Venzant talent vs. the guards currently on Liberty's roster? I suppose the only objective measurement would be recruitment rankings, but those can be very flawed.

Does anyone believe Peebles and Venzant can be impact players their first year?

Perhaps we use Dobbs as the benchmark. He's a true freshman getting solid minutes off the bench. Do we believe Peebles and Venzant will be of his caliber or even higher? Would love to get anyone's thoughts on this...
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Good discussion.

The coaching staff always said Dobbs was the most ready of the four freshmen this season. They've also always talked raved about Peebles more than any other recruit since they've been here this second stint. How will that relate to him as a freshman? The jury is still out.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
jinxy wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:38 pm Cole webster. 6”6 jr. Smith mountain lake christian academy via oakland. Hes legit. Dont think weve offered yet but i know he has a couple offers from out west where he was. The staff has made contact with him.

Hes playing the point! Saw him do a windmill dunk and then pop a silky smooth transition 3. He looks like he could shoot up another 2 o 3 inches.
I got to see Webster play in person last night. He definitely looks the part - very long and has room to grow. He might be thinner than Lovell Cabbil was as a freshman though. He has good handles, his shot seems to be below average for a guard, but again can't teach that height. If I was a DI coach, I would be concerned that he's not dominating more on the VACA level. I believe he had around 12-15 points last night, and a 5'11 quick guard forced him into 3 turnovers.
By Geraldos Mustache
Looking for recruiting info and/or videos of Cole Webster - Smith Mountain Lake Christian Academy. Not much out there. Can any of you provide more on this prospect?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Webster is a JR, which would make him class of 22. There's a thread for that. Recent article says he is now 6'8". Those 2 inches certainly make him a more interesting prospect IMHO, but he looks so frail, I don't see him being able to play much inside unless he can put on some muscle.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 13th, 2021, 4:10 pm You start to get the sense that this kid has the potential to be something special in ways seldom seen on this level.
Joseph Venzant might end up being as good or better. He has over 2600 points in HS despite not being his team's #1 option until this season (he has been a starter since 8th grade). Not as freakishly skilled as Peebles, but 6'4" and super athletic and had the reputation of being the best defender in the gym every time he stepped foot on the court, whether HS or AAU.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Webster is a project missed most of his soph season between injury and covid. He is all about projection. The skill is there. He posterized a poor rvcs kid with a full 2 hand slam driving the baseline a couple weeks back.

I would think hes a small forward long term. Hes 6”6 but i think he will be 6”8 eventually.

No video. Its locked down to parents only at our games. I can tell you from seeing him in person the potential is there.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 13th, 2021, 5:57 pm
paradox wrote: February 13th, 2021, 4:10 pm You start to get the sense that this kid has the potential to be something special in ways seldom seen on this level.
Joseph Venzant might end up being as good or better. He has over 2600 points in HS despite not being his team's #1 option until this season (he has been a starter since 8th grade). Not as freakishly skilled as Peebles, but 6'4" and super athletic and had the reputation of being the best defender in the gym every time he stepped foot on the court, whether HS or AAU.
What really grabs your attention with Peebles is his craftiness. Also, tremendous instincts and poise. Venzant appears to be a solid versatile addtion. Looks promising for both.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Brody Peebles' HS career came to an end last night as he scored 39 points in a 62-59 loss in the tournament. Tons of congratulatory comments for his great career on his twitter, but this one should be a real blast from the past for Liberty fans who have been around for a while.

flamehunter liked this
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]