If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 18th, 2021, 7:16 am Brody Peebles' HS career came to an end last night as he scored 39 points in a 62-59 loss in the Alabama state tournament. Tons of congratulatory comments for his great career on his twitter, but this one should be a real blast from the past for Liberty fans who have been around for a while.

By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I think he played 6 years of varsity basketball where his dad was the coach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:21 pm That's usually not in the best interest of the player in the long term.
I think that's accurate in general, and anecdotally, Jeremy's playing career was cut short by injuries (which may or may not have had anything to do with his playing so much at a young age). I like to think I am pretty good at keeping up with what is going on with former Liberty players, but there was not a lot of info available about what happened with Jeremy after he left. Good to see he is coaching, and apparently still believes in the mission of the school.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not saying that was the reason. Just saying that in many circumstances, it doesn't end well. There are obvious exceptions like Duke legend Bobby Hurley.

I agree that no one seems to know about Jeremy. Also, glad to see that he's a positive role model and doing well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
LMT Online wrote:Argyle Liberty Christian was well aware of where Midland Christian senior guard and Liberty University signee Joseph Venzant was on the basketball court at all times when they played for the TAPPS 1-6A title on Saturday night.

The Warriors constantly defended Venzant with double and triple teams in the rescheduled regular season finale played at McGraw Event Center.

Despite the attention, Venzant rose to the occasion by scoring a game-high 15 points, but Liberty’s game plan ended up working in the end.
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, it looks like we have offered a 6' PG for this recruiting class. If true, this would seem to indicate that:

1) We will have a scholarship open, which would require someone to transfer out.
2) We anticipate needing a PG, which could mean Parker is not returning.

It hasn't shown up on verbalcommits yet. We've had recruits tweet offers erroniously/prematurely before, so I'm not assuming this is 100% accurate just yet.

I have no inside info, but I have a feeling Parker will be moving on, probably to play professionally overseas. Last I heard, his dad is coaching the Taiwanese national team, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Going on the likely premise that we will have someone transfer out and be looking for an addition to this class, here is a possibility. With all the options in the portal, this one stood out to me because we offered him out of HS, which means he has already basically been vetted as a fit for the program. Not a grad transfer, and technically not immediately eligible, but it's becoming increasingly clear that the one-time transfer rule instituted for this year is going to be made permanent.

Josh Oduro
6'9" transfer from George Mason
3 years of remaining eligibility
Averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes for GMU this year.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/josh-oduro
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... josh-oduro
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:47 am Going on the likely premise that we will have someone transfer out and be looking for an addition to this class, here is a possibility. With all the options in the portal, this one stood out to me because we offered him out of HS, which means he has already basically been vetted as a fit for the program. Not a grad transfer, and technically not immediately eligible, but it's becoming increasingly clear that the one-time transfer rule instituted for this year is going to be made permanent.

Josh Oduro
6'9" transfer from George Mason
3 years of remaining eligibility
Averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes for GMU this year.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/josh-oduro
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... josh-oduro
Do you believe this would be an upgrade to Preston and a more mature (ready now) player than Abii ?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
He isn’t as physically gifted as Abii. But he’s a little longer. Similar agility and athleticism as Preston (who I think is sneaky-athletic). Maybe a tick better at applying his athleticism. Better leap, and much quicker second bounce. I like Oduro’s court awareness and ability to pass out of the post too. Not a great shooter, did most of HS scoring at the rim and in transition.

I think the court awareness would be a significant upgrade. Not that he has to fully replace Preston, but he would add some nice depth and probably battle for starter minutes. I didn’t realize so much until Friday just how tunnel-vision Preston can be. I can’t recall one great kickout. When he did, the pass was off. He got buried too deep as the game went on. Became like a black hole. I think Oduro would improve on that.

No clue if LU is even in on him this go-round. But he comes from a fabulous HS program at PVI. Well-coached.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:17 pm From what I heard, we’re heavily after Cam Martin. All American Big at the D2 level.
That would certainly be in line with Ritchie's recent past in pursuing non-D1 transfers, and if he is going hard after him, it would also indicate he is a fit both on and off the court. There are almost certainly some high profile programs interested, so no point in wasting a lot of time and effort only to get rejected by someone who is adverse to Christian culture and a few rules.

Here's a pretty good/informative article on Martin from a local MO fishwrap.
https://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/loca ... 609ec.html

Verbalcommitts profile
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cam-martin

He started his college career at new ASUN member Jacksonville State, which would mean he would get to face them twice next year if he becomes a Flame.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:16 am He isn’t as physically gifted as Abii. But he’s a little longer. Similar agility and athleticism as Preston (who I think is sneaky-athletic). Maybe a tick better at applying his athleticism. Better leap, and much quicker second bounce. I like Oduro’s court awareness and ability to pass out of the post too. Not a great shooter, did most of HS scoring at the rim and in transition.

I think the court awareness would be a significant upgrade. Not that he has to fully replace Preston, but he would add some nice depth and probably battle for starter minutes. I didn’t realize so much until Friday just how tunnel-vision Preston can be. I can’t recall one great kickout. When he did, the pass was off. He got buried too deep as the game went on. Became like a black hole. I think Oduro would improve on that.

No clue if LU is even in on him this go-round. But he comes from a fabulous HS program at PVI. Well-coached.
Yep, he is so sneaky, one cannot even see it. (At least against real, athletic, players). 8) 8)
stokesjokes liked this
By Tnobes
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 8:47 am
olldflame wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:31 pm I've never heard Ritchie talk about recruits before they arrived on campus the way he does about Peebles and Venzant. It's usually like he is from Missouri. It would be great if Cuff and Parker come back, but I also would not be surprised if they both get reduced minutes. I think these guys are just too good to ride the pine.
Probably too early, but how would you compare Peebles and Venzant talent vs. the guards currently on Liberty's roster? I suppose the only objective measurement would be recruitment rankings, but those can be very flawed.

Does anyone believe Peebles and Venzant can be impact players their first year?

Perhaps we use Dobbs as the benchmark. He's a true freshman getting solid minutes off the bench. Do we believe Peebles and Venzant will be of his caliber or even higher? Would love to get anyone's thoughts on this...

I'm from Minnesota, saw Dobbs play in high school. He's good, he knows how to win and has that winner mentality and he doesn't make mistakes. I don't think he is as skilled as Brody or Joseph offensively or defensively, those 2 seem like ballers, drake dobbs is a floor general
olldflame liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:19 am Dobbs reminds me of a poor man's Jesse. Nothing will stand out but he'll make everyone around him better.
On whose team? LU or their opponents? :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am
ballah09 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:19 am Dobbs reminds me of a poor man's Jesse. Nothing will stand out but he'll make everyone around him better.
On whose team? LU or their opponents? :lol:
I don't know why you have been down on Dobbs. :dontgetit I know these are "just numbers" but they are pretty good ones:
.507 shooting %
.903 FT % (best on the team)
.450 3 pt. % (best in the 8 man rotation)
38 assists/20 TO (better ratio than either Parker or McGhee)

Add to that the fact that he is pretty much fearless and in addition to being the floor leader of a 30-0 team last year in HS, he also ran the point for an AAU team where the other 4 starters were 4 and 5 star recruits.

Personally, I'm pretty glad we have him. 8)
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I have a question: Will Warfield, Jackson, and Abai be freshman next year or Sophomores? Not sure if COVID applies to underclassmen or just Seniors. Obviously Donna would be a Sophomore I think.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]