If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Geraldos Mustache
olldflame wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:46 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am
ballah09 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:19 am Dobbs reminds me of a poor man's Jesse. Nothing will stand out but he'll make everyone around him better.
On whose team? LU or their opponents? :lol:
I don't know why you have been down on Dobbs. :dontgetit I know these are "just numbers" but they are pretty good ones:
.507 shooting %
.903 FT % (best on the team)
.450 3 pt. % (best in the 8 man rotation)
38 assists/20 TO (better ratio than either Parker or McGhee)

Add to that the fact that he is pretty much fearless and in addition to being the floor leader of a 30-0 team last year in HS, he also ran the point for an AAU team where the other 4 starters were 4 and 5 star recruits.

Personally, I'm pretty glad we have him. 8)
Dobbs did great coming in off the bench and logged a lot of minutes as a true freshman. He'll mature and his game will only improve. He's a great asset to the team. Glad we have him. Looking forward to more growth from him in the years to come. I also like his toughness. Seems like a hard-nosed kid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:27 pm I mean Dobbs. The point guard
Everyone gets an extra year, regardless of their class or how much or little they played. How many of them will stick around to play 5 full seasons will mostly depend on what their options/opportunities are after 4.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:19 am Dobbs reminds me of a poor man's Jesse. Nothing will stand out but he'll make everyone around him better.
I don't know why you have been down on Dobbs. :dontgetit I know these are "just numbers" but they are pretty good ones:
.507 shooting %

Add to that the fact that he is pretty much fearless and in addition to being the floor leader of a 30-0 team last year in HS, he also ran the point for an AAU team where the other 4 starters were 4 and 5 star recruits.

The games I’ve seen him he has potential but he hasn’t been there yet. He did LU no favors against OkSt
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 21st, 2021, 10:35 pm
JK37 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:16 am He isn’t as physically gifted as Abii. But he’s a little longer. Similar agility and athleticism as Preston (who I think is sneaky-athletic). Maybe a tick better at applying his athleticism. Better leap, and much quicker second bounce. I like Oduro’s court awareness and ability to pass out of the post too. Not a great shooter, did most of HS scoring at the rim and in transition.

I think the court awareness would be a significant upgrade. Not that he has to fully replace Preston, but he would add some nice depth and probably battle for starter minutes. I didn’t realize so much until Friday just how tunnel-vision Preston can be. I can’t recall one great kickout. When he did, the pass was off. He got buried too deep as the game went on. Became like a black hole. I think Oduro would improve on that.

No clue if LU is even in on him this go-round. But he comes from a fabulous HS program at PVI. Well-coached.
Yep, he is so sneaky, one cannot even see it. (At least against real, athletic, players). 8) 8)
Maybe you’d prefer the word AGILE? He moves better than you’d think at first look. That’s all I meant.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:56 pm

.507 shooting %

The games I’ve seen him he has potential but he hasn’t been there yet. He did LU no favors against OkSt
Definitely more savvy than Parker in the paint.
Last edited by paradox on May 3rd, 2022, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, D.J Moore, a player we had a commitment for in the class of 22, has re-classified to 2021 and will be on campus this Summer!

If you recall, this is the player who committed the same day we offered. Really wants to be at Liberty, and is coming off a great JR year, leading his team to the final game of the state tourney, where he scored 28 points in a loss. More a PG than Peebles, but can also score. Having both him and Dobbs to facilitate will allow Brody to focus on what he does best and pretty much assures that Venzant will be playing the same role Cuffee did.
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I watched play my alma mater in the playoffs (Go Burg!) and he was a terrific distributor. He also showed strong perimeter defense and a flair for being clutch.

If someone in athletics has video of the Freddie Morgan it would be cool to show the kid what a PG from his HS did in dramatic fashion for the Flames.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:47 am I watched play my alma mater in the playoffs (Go Burg!)
Sly, is that a Wheelersburg reference? Play Basketball :oldhag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Excellent half hour with Chad and Jon, mostly on LU hoops, and including an interview with Brody Peebles. Also some insights into the overwhelming recent success of our athletic program.

LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting insight from Manson on a recent "mailbag" answer. He seems to feel that Ritchie may stand pat with the current roster of 12 scholarship players and save the one we have available to add to the 2022 class. If so, we will be needing to add a couple of walk-ons, because with Dean and Reed gone, right now they will barely have enough bodies for practice. I would also expect to see us get more active with another offer or 2 going to 2022 recruits.
By Liberty_25
olldflame wrote: April 15th, 2021, 11:19 am Interesting insight from Manson on a recent "mailbag" answer. He seems to feel that Ritchie may stand pat with the current roster of 12 scholarship players and save the one we have available to add to the 2022 class. If so, we will be needing to add a couple of walk-ons, because with Dean and Reed gone, right now they will barely have enough bodies for practice. I would also expect to see us get more active with another offer or 2 going to 2022 recruits.
So if they are adding walk ons.. Do you think they will hold a tryout in the fall or recruit them for PWO? Just curious because they would need bodies.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I do believe they have had open tryouts in the past. Not sure if any have actually gotten a spot on the squad from those under McKay. The last player I know for sure became a regular by that route was Kyle Ohman.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:10 am
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:47 am Going on the likely premise that we will have someone transfer out and be looking for an addition to this class, here is a possibility. With all the options in the portal, this one stood out to me because we offered him out of HS, which means he has already basically been vetted as a fit for the program. Not a grad transfer, and technically not immediately eligible, but it's becoming increasingly clear that the one-time transfer rule instituted for this year is going to be made permanent.

Josh Oduro
6'9" transfer from George Mason
3 years of remaining eligibility
Averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes for GMU this year.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/josh-oduro
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... josh-oduro
Do you believe this would be an upgrade to Preston and a more mature (ready now) player than Abii ?
Oduro appears to have had second thoughts. His name has been removed from the transfer portal, and he is back on the GMU roster.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Liberty_25 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:54 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabriel McKay join the team as a walk on.
Has there been any word on him potentially joining the team?
Jon has his sources. 8)
I don't, but I wouldn't be surprised either. That is exactly what Gabriel was planning to do before he got the offer from Omar Mance at Trevecca Nazarene. He hasn't been playing a ton there, and it's almost certainly a partial scholarship, so he would actually be better off financially with the full tuition and live at home deal he would get at Liberty. Plus........... live at home. Plus................ be a part of something special. Seems to have worked out great for his brother.
By Liberty_25
olldflame wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:28 am
Liberty_25 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:54 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see Gabriel McKay join the team as a walk on.
Has there been any word on him potentially joining the team?
Jon has his sources. 8)
I don't, but I wouldn't be surprised either. That is exactly what Gabriel was planning to do before he got the offer from Omar Mance at Trevecca Nazarene. He hasn't been playing a ton there, and it's almost certainly a partial scholarship, so he would actually be better off financially with the full tuition and live at home deal he would get at Liberty. Plus........... live at home. Plus................ be a part of something special. Seems to have worked out great for his brother.
Yeah for sure I definitely agree with you it would make sense and all! I guess we will see soon enough!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
One of the most highly rated HS prospects currently in the portal is Issac McBride, a 4* PG out of Arkansas we recruited a couple of years ago. He signed with Kansas, left before ever playing, and is now transferring again after a year at Vandy, where he was in the unfortunate position of playing behind Scottie Pippen JR. Kid was an absolute stud in HS and won multiple state championships while putting up huge numbers, but PG is no longer a position of need for us.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The ratings often don't coincide with the actual evaluators on the coaching staff. Not saying that this would be the case with this guy. Only our staff would know. We certainly wouldn't pass on Max Abmas, if he wanted in. You always look to improve.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:09 am The ratings often don't coincide with the actual evaluators on the coaching staff. Not saying that this would be the case with this guy. Only our staff would know. We certainly wouldn't pass on Max Abmas, if he wanted in. You always look to improve.
Apparently we wanted him badly out of HS, and it looked like we had a legit shot until Kansas "swept in". Can't blame him for succumbing to the draw of a blue blood program, but the decision proved to be disastrous for him, as for whatever reason, he hated it so much there that he couldn't even wait for practice to start before jumping into the portal. If I recall, I posted here questioning his decision to go to Vandy because of the presence of Pippen JR at PG. He should have 4 full years of eligibility wherever he lands. I suspect if Moore had not re-classified, we might have pursued it.

Was the Abmas reference just a "for instance"? I don't see him in the portal.
By Honest Abe
olldflame wrote: April 20th, 2021, 7:03 am One of the most highly rated HS prospects currently in the portal is Issac McBride, a 4* PG out of Arkansas we recruited a couple of years ago. He signed with Kansas, left before ever playing, and is now transferring again after a year at Vandy, where he was in the unfortunate position of playing behind Scottie Pippen JR. Kid was an absolute stud in HS and won multiple state championships while putting up huge numbers, but PG is no longer a position of need for us.
I remember him being on our board. PG may no longer a need for us, but having watched his limited highlights from Vandy, the kid looks good against good competition! With 4 years eligibility, I would go after him anyway.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 20th, 2021, 12:58 pm
paradox wrote: April 20th, 2021, 9:09 am The ratings often don't coincide with the actual evaluators on the coaching staff. Not saying that this would be the case with this guy. Only our staff would know. We certainly wouldn't pass on Max Abmas, if he wanted in. You always look to improve.
Apparently we wanted him badly out of HS, and it looked like we had a legit shot until Kansas "swept in". Can't blame him for succumbing to the draw of a blue blood program, but the decision proved to be disastrous for him, as for whatever reason, he hated it so much there that he couldn't even wait for practice to start before jumping into the portal. If I recall, I posted here questioning his decision to go to Vandy because of the presence of Pippen JR at PG. He should have 4 full years of eligibility wherever he lands. I suspect if Moore had not re-classified, we might have pursued it.

Was the Abmas reference just a "for instance"? I don't see him in the portal.
No, we don't need to start an Abmas thread. Although it would've been nice. As far as the McBride situation is concerned, I don't know what to make of that one. Very strange. Doubtful that he ends up here though.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]