If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, we know so far that we are opening with Radford at the Vines, and should also have a return game with Navy at home. Then there is this:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 6&teamID=6

Bahamas Showcase in Nassau, beginning Nov.22 against Morgan State. Other teams are Rice, Milwaukee, UMKC, George Washington, Evansville and E Carolina. Looks like a winnable tournament to me.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a team UMKC's new coach can cobble together after having an all-time record 11 players enter the transfer portal. Apparently 1 of them has since announced he is staying and a few others are considering it, so it may not be quite as bad as it sounds, but still............... :shock:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
the non-conference schedule is shaping up to be a pretty well rounded schedule. Forget football season, lets bring on basketball season!
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I like the tourney early in the season. Would have liked the chance to play a top 100 team there. LSU will be tough. Would like to see a couple more high major names. They don't have to be top 25 but it was nice to see the Vandy, Georgetown, Alabama, and UCLA names on the schedule last year... Gave us some name recognition nationally in season.

However, it is nice not to see there are no sub D-1's on the schedule yet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I like the tourney early in the season. Would have liked the chance to play a top 100 team there. LSU will be tough. Would like to see a couple more high major names. They don't have to be top 25 but it was nice to see the Vandy, Georgetown, Alabama, and UCLA names on the schedule last year... Gave us some name recognition nationally in season.

However, it is nice not to see there are no sub D-1's on the schedule yet.
There will almost certainly be a couple of non D-1 teams on the schedule as always, and I have zero problem with it. It serves a purpose from a coaching perspective. Virtually every low/mid major team does it, and even the high major teams accomplish the same thing by scheduling MEAC or BSC teams. You could put most of the ASUN in that category as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Nice tournament. Nicer resort
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Definitely some NET boosting potential in this one with perennial NCAA contender SMC on the other side of the tournament
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This bears a tiny bit of resemblance to the hypothetical tournament we discussed in a thread several months ago. LOVE it that we are playing GCU, but since this is being billed as a "classic" and not a tournament, I'm thinking it will be just the one game. With that lineup it would be great to have a final and 3rd place game as well.
Last edited by olldflame on June 25th, 2019, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 10th, 2019, 11:11 am the non-conference schedule is shaping up to be a pretty well rounded schedule. Forget football season, lets bring on basketball season!
That's the way I feel about softball.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thats a bummer that it will only be a doubleheader and not an actual "tournament". I think that Saint Mary's would be a nice boost for us given their strength as the number 2 in the WCC behind Gonzaga
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
More details on how the schedule is coming together can be found here.

A Sea of Red wrote:Liberty will begin defense of its ASUN men’s basketball regular season and tournament title on January 2nd at Florida Gulf Coast, as the full ASUN men’s basketball schedule was unveiled Tuesday.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Non-conference schedule is out:

Fewer high major opponents than last year, but only 2 non-D1s (which IMHO is the right number). If we are as good as I think we will be, the record for wins in a season is going to be short-lived.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Print is small and I not have my reading glasses, but I only see 2 games vs. P5 schools, Vanderbilt and LSU. Is this correct ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 18th, 2019, 3:57 pm Print is small and I not have my reading glasses, but I only see 2 games vs. P5 schools, Vanderbilt and LSU. Is this correct ?
Yes, and that is a fairly normal number for a school at our level. Last year we played 4 in the regular season, which I'm pretty sure is the most we have ever scheduled. Counting the tournament we played 6, going 2-4.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Manson's interview with coach McKay on the schedule.

https://www.aseaofred.com/flames-announ ... -schedule/

He says more than once that getting games was a "challenge" after what we did last year and with the talent and experience we have returning. “It was noticeably more difficult to get games,” McKay said after the team’s success last season. “But that’s natural. We will play anyone home-and-home that we felt was a Power 5 or a high mid-major. That will be something that we continue to pursue as much as we can.”
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
With success comes benefits and drawbacks. We definitely put ourselves on the map in 2018-19, but now we showed that we aren't going to be a "cupcake" game for a P5 so it makes sense that getting those games was going to be more difficult. I would love to see us build on our success and hopefully be able to get some of the more regionally based P5 programs down the road
Last edited by BJWilliams on July 19th, 2019, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]