If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Virginia Polytechnical Institute & State University
Blacksburg, Virginia

VT Hoops Official Site

SAP Center at San Jose, CA - Home of the NHL Sharks
Opened in 1993 - Seats 17,496

Buzz Williams
5th Season as VT Head Coach

2018-2019 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ............ 25-8
    ACC ................. 12-6
    Neutral ............. 6-1

• NOV 09 - GARDNER-WEBB ........................................ W, 87-59

CHARLESTON CLASSIC in CHARLESTON, SC
    NOV 15 - vs. BALL STATE .......................................... W, 73-64
    NOV 16 - vs. NORTHEASTERN .................................. W, 88-60
    NOV 18 - vs. PURDUE ............................................... W, 89-83

NOV 24 - ST FRANCIS (PA) ........................................ W, 75-37

ACC/BIG TEN CHALLENGE
    NOV 27 - @ PENN STATE .......................................... L, 62-63

DEC 01 - CENTRAL CONNECTICUT ST ....................... W, 94-40
    DEC 05 - VMI ............................................................ W, 89-68
    DEC 09 - SC STATE ................................................... W, 81-44

BOARDWALK CLASSIC in ATLANTIC CITY, NJ
    DEC 15 - vs. WASHINGTON ....................................... W, 73-61

DEC 19 - NC A&T ...................................................... W, 82-60
    DEC 28 - MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE ...................... W, 85-40
    JAN 01 - NOTRE DAME .............................................. W, 81-66
    JAN 05 - BOSTON COLLEGE ...................................... W, 77-66
    JAN 09 - @ GEORGIA TECH ....................................... W, 52-49
    JAN 15 - @ VIRGINIA ................................................. L, 59-81
    JAN 19 - WAKE FOREST ............................................. W, 87-71
    JAN 21 - @ NORTH CAROLINA ................................... L, 82-103
    JAN 26 - SYRACUSE ................................................... W, 78-56
    JAN 30 - @ MIAMI ..................................................... W, 82-70
    FEB 02 - @ NC STATE ................................................ W, 47-24
    FEB 04 - LOUISVILLE ................................................. L, 64-72
    FEB 09 - @ CLEMSON ................................................ L, 51-59
    FEB 13 - GEORGIA TECH ........................................... W, 76-68
    FEB 16 - @ PITT ....................................................... W, 70-64
    FEB 18 - VIRGINIA ..................................................... L , 58-64
    FEB 23 - @ NOTRE DAME ......................................... W, 67-59
    FEB 26 - DUKE ......................................................... W, 77-72
    MAR 05 - @ FLORIDA STATE ..................................... L, 64-73 OT
    MAR 08 - MIAMI ........................................................ W, 84-70

NEW YORK LIFE ACC TOURNAMENT in CHARLOTTE
    MAR 13 - vs. MIAMI ................................................... W, 71-56
    MAR 14 - vs. FLORIDA STATE ..................................... L, 63-65 OT

NCAA TOURNAMENT in SAN JOSE, CA
    MAR 22 - vs. SAINT LOUIS ......................................... W, 66-52
    MAR 24 - vs. LIBERTY ................................................ 7:10 PM ET
This team is good. A know a few other posters were pretty much asking for VT. They don't have any bad losses so we're definitely going to have to continue to play disciplined ball and knock down open shots. They're not going to beat themselves.
I wanted tech for a ton of personal reasons. I think most would agree if we found a way into the sweet 16 and knocked off tech in the process, it would make it even sweeter.

Mississippi State probably has better individual talent but Tech is the better team and Liberty will certiantly have their work cut out for them.
Kricket wrote:We were seeded as the worst team left in the tournament.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... d-round-32

#NoRespect
Thankfully, this team and coaching staff never spends one second on considering (or so it appears) how they are perceived by the outside pundits. They keep plugging away, growing together as a team, and proving themselves. Personally, I like being the underdog...….when they bite, it hurts worse!
I know UVA is the overall #1 seed but Virginia Tech struggles against the Pack-line and has for the last couple of years. Guaranteed Ritchie has called Tony to get some pointers. We had the lead in the exhibition at half-time if I remember correctly. Tech is a better team than Miss St. but I think the match-up with Tech is more in our favor. Either way, we are playing for a berth in the freakin sweet 16!
Liberty is 14-3 all-time against the Hokies, but this is obviously the first meeting in the NCAA Tournament.
Is that true? I would not have guessed that.
For those who missed the McKay/Homesley interview tonight with Ernie Johnson, Clark Kellogg, Charles Barkley, and Kenny Smith, the two part video clip is here:
I continue to be impressed with Coach McKay’s poise and thoughtfulness on the big stage, and for the never quit attitude of this team.
Veritas wrote:For those who missed the McKay/Homesley interview tonight with Ernie Johnson, Clark Kellogg, Charles Barkley, and Kenny Smith, the two part video clip is here:
. I continue to be impressed with Coach McKay’s poise and thoughtfulness on the big stage, and for the never quit attitude of this team.
Loved this interview. The more I get to know this team and this coach the more likable they become. They are a fun group to get behind. Very special. I'm not sure how long this will last but I'm enjoying the ride.
ballcoach15 wrote:Reference a post above, UVA is not over all number 1 seed. Duke is #1 over all.
Who cares? This is a game thread for the Liberty Men's basketball team that is making history.
Sorry I haven't been by sooner to say congrats on beating Cowbell.

Hopefully Swofford hasn't already paid off your ref crew for tonight like he did in Charlotte. Not saying the outcome would have been different, but UVA having the zebras swallowing their whistles is what makes there defense so great. Hope you and OU end the season of the state schools that are operated by those who promote Infanticide.
VT is a really good team and their Coach is a class act. There would be no shame in losing to them. That said, I think we win tonight. The pressure is on them and we should be playing loose after getting past that first game. Our guys know they belong now. Play our game and I think VT gets tight down the stretch. We match up better with this team and I look for Scottie to play a bigger role.
Back in the day, (Dell Curry's freshman year), VT came to LU and played in Schilling Center.

LU tried to get UVA to come to first game in Vines center, even offering 50,000 check. The snobby hoos refused.

VT is a class act.
My favorite twitter comment at the half comes from one of our vocal critics.

Check out @RobDauster’s Tweet:

Respect.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in fa[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]