If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mississippi State University
Starkville, Mississippi

SAP Center at San Jose, CA - Home of the NHL Sharks
Opened in 1993 - Seats 17,496

MSU Hoops Official Site

Ben Howland
4th Season as MSU Head Coach

2018-2019 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ....... 23-10
    SEC ............ 10-8
    Neutral ........ 4-2

NOV 09 - AUSTIN PEAY .................................. W, 95-67

MGM RESORTS MAIN EVENT REGIONAL ROUND
    NOV 11 - HARTFORD ..................................... W, 77-59
    NOV 16 - LONG BEACH STATE ....................... W, 79-51

MGM RESORTS MAIN EVENT in LAS VEGAS
    NOV 19 - vs. ARIZONA STATE ......................... L, 67-72
    NOV 21 - vs. SAINT MARY'S ........................... W, 61-57

NOV 26 - ALCORN STATE ............................... W, 88-65
    NOV 30 - @ DAYTON ..................................... W, 65-58
    DEC 04 - MCNEESE STATE ............................. W, 90-77

NEVER FORGET TRIBUTE CLASSIC in NEWARK
    DEC 08 - vs. CLEMSON .................................. W, 82-71

DEC 15 - CINCINNATI .................................... W, 70-59
    DEC 19 - WOFFORD ....................................... W, 98-87
    DEC 22 - vs. WRIGHT STATE in JACKSON ..... W, 67-63
    DEC 29 - BYU ................................................ W, 103-81
    JAN 08 - @ SOUTH CAROLINA ..................... L, 82-87 [OT]
    JAN 12 - OLE MISS ........................................ L, 77-81
    JAN 15 - FLORIDA ......................................... W, 71-68
    JAN 19 - @ VANDERBILT ............................... W, 71-55
    JAN 22 - @ KENTUCKY .................................. L, 55-76
    JAN 26 - AUBURN ......................................... W, 92-84
    JAN 29 - @ ALABAMA .................................... L, 79-83
    FEB 02 - @ OLE MISS .................................... W, 81-75
    FEB 06 - LSU ................................................. L, 88-92 [OT]
    FEB 09 - KENTUCKY ...................................... L, 67-71
    FEB 12 - ALABAMA ....................................... W, 81-62
    FEB 16 - @ ARKANSAS .................................. W, 77-67
    FEB 20 - @ GEORGIA .................................... W, 68-67
    FEB 23 - SOUTH CAROLINA .......................... W, 76-61
    FEB 26 - MISSOURI ....................................... W, 68-49
    MAR 02 - @ AUBURN ..................................... L, 75-80
    MAR 05 - @ TENNESSEE ................................ L, 54-71
    MAR 09 - TEXAS A&M .................................... W, 92-81

SEC TOURNAMENT in NASHVILLE
    MAR 14 - vs. TEXAS A&M .............................. W, 80-54
    MAR 15 - vs. TENNESSEE .............................. L, 76-83

NCAA TOURNAMENT at SAN JOSE
    MAR 22 - vs. LIBERTY ................................... 6:27 PM CT

Key Players

#1 Reggie Perry
    6' 10" 245 lbs Freshman Forward
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 9.8 Pts, 7.1 Rebs & .5 Assists + 50.9 FG%

#2 Lamar Peters
    6' 0" 185 lbs Junior Guard
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 11.7 Pts, 2/0 Rebs & 5.2 Assists + 82-of-215 (38.1%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#11 Quinndary Weatherspoon
    6' 4" 205 lbs Senior Guard
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 18.2 Pts, 4.7 Rebs & 2.9 Assists + 53-of-133 (39.8%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#23 Tyson Carter
    6' 4" 170 lbs Junior Guard
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 10.5 Pts, 2.0 Rebs & 1.5 Assists + 59-of-160 (36.9%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#35 Aric Holman
    6' 10" 225 lbs Senior Forward
    Thru 33 Games: Averaging 9.7 Pts, 6.2 Rebs & 1.3 Assists + 44-of-102 (43.1%) on 3-Pt Attempts
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Was busy last night to participate in a lot of the discussion on here but I am pumped! I think this will be a very interesting matchup and honestly could go either way. I think it'll be close game and I'll spend a lot of time yelling at my tv
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
They are turnover happy and like we’ve seen with UCLA I think our pack line defense will cause them fits. Their size does worry me but we beat UCLA earlier and they were the tallest team in the nation so.

We just need to hit our shots.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
This will be a tough game. MSU has played toe-to-toe with some tough teams. We can't let them score in the 80's. We need to keep this under 70 to have shot; low to mid-60's is even better.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
My first job out of college was at the Arizona Daily Sun in Flagstaff covering Northern Arizona basketball in the 1997-98 season. Ben Howland was the coach at NAU. Some young dude name McKay was finishing up his second year at NAU's Big Sky rival Portland State before leaving for Colorado State. Crazy that they're seeing each other in the NCAAs some 20 years and several coaching stops later.
Kricket wrote:

Lunardi saying LU may be a perennial NCAA Tournament team...
That’s what I think is the fun part of this. We are on the front end of a run. As long as Ritchie is here, we should be contending.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Kricket wrote:

Lunardi saying LU may be a perennial NCAA Tournament team...
That’s what I think is the fun part of this. We are on the front end of a run. As long as Ritchie is here, we should be contending.
The future certainly looks bright. Going into this season, I expected to be good, but this was supposed to be Lipscomb's year. Hard to fault the Bisons on the season they had, and I would not be at all surprised if they make a run in the NIT, but we just kept on getting better and ultimately prevailed, a year ahead of schedule. The scariest thing going forward is that we will be venturing into unknown territory as far as the level of expectations is concerned. Lots of potential pitfalls there, but all indications are that Ritchie and his crew have the right mind set to deal with them.
I love how some have dubbed one of our worst losses to Vandy. That is total lack of intelligence. Vandy with Darius Garland was undefeated @ 4-0. Before only playing 2 minutes and scoring 2 points in his fifth game against Kent State, which is when he was injured for the season, Darius was averaging 19.75 points per game. Vandy with Darius would have been a bubble team at worst for the NCAA tourney. I give you all this to point to this one fact. . . WE CAN BEAT MISS. STATE!
By Pilotguy24
thepostman wrote:Was busy last night to participate in a lot of the discussion on here but I am pumped! I think this will be a very interesting matchup and honestly could go either way. I think it'll be close game and I'll spend a lot of time yelling at my tv
Agreed. It’s hard to not pick Liberty in all my brackets. No foul trouble and solid 3 pt shooting should keep us in the game. 6 years ago I had a front row seat in Dayton playing in the band watching John Caleb Sanders get fouled by NC A&T on his missed layup at the buzzer. Now I have a front row seat in front of my tv where I will probably disturb my neighbors with my excitement when they beat MSU and continue to make history for Liberty Basketball!

Side note: the replay of the 2013 game is on YouTube if any of you are interested in watching the last NCAA game Liberty played in.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Filling out brackets for contests tonight and looked through a lot of college basketball experts picks and was stunned by the number that picked LU to win in the first round. Granted a lot of people target 12-5 games for upset picks, but was surprised by the amount of respect the program has gotten so quickly. That's a great sign. Just hope we don't lay an egg.
Pilotguy24 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Was busy last night to participate in a lot of the discussion on here but I am pumped! I think this will be a very interesting matchup and honestly could go either way. I think it'll be close game and I'll spend a lot of time yelling at my tv
Agreed. It’s hard to not pick Liberty in all my brackets. No foul trouble and solid 3 pt shooting should keep us in the game. 6 years ago I had a front row seat in Dayton playing in the band watching John Caleb Sanders get fouled by NC A&T on his missed layup at the buzzer. Now I have a front row seat in front of my tv where I will probably disturb my neighbors with my excitement when they beat MSU and continue to make history for Liberty Basketball!

Side note: the replay of the 2013 game is on YouTube if any of you are interested in watching the last NCAA game Liberty played in.
I just went back and watched a little bit of this. Some things that stuck out to me:

1. How long and baggy were our shorts?
2. The shot clock seemed to take foreverrrrrr.
3. JVP was wide open under the basket about six times and nobody got the ball to him.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My editor asked me about if we had a chance in this game...i said we did, but only if we can keep the total below 140. Even as a fan and LU alum, i do not think we can hang in a high scoring affair.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think we scored 70 or more in almost every game this year (26 times).

We also averaged 74 a game and our two biggest wins were at Lipscomb with a total score at or above 140 points.

Mississippi State averages 77.3 points per game.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]