If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 7:50 pm And to be clear, I really thought Archie Miller was a good hire.
Lateral move from Crean. But I think Crean had done all he could.
By LUOrange
Geraldos Mustache wrote: March 16th, 2021, 6:53 pm McKay is developing quite a fine resume for himself. He deserves it. What a fantastic man.

I don't see any end in sight with the streak of 20-game win seasons, winning the ASUN, making NCAA Tournament appearances. Liberty and McKay are big fish in a small pond (ASUN Conference). Recruiting continues to improve. I am so excited about some of the talent coming to Liberty in the next 2 years.

McKay could be a lifer at Liberty. I hope he never leaves Lynchburg. Just need to pay him what he's worth. The exposure for the school is massive with consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. We are (in the process of) becoming a national name in both basketball and football. So awesome!
What's even more impressive is that our program all the way around is very good and competitive, pretty much winning or finishing second in almost every sport. Field Hockey is 5fh int the country, golf in top 20. Even our club sports hockey teams are nationally ranked! I think someone we all know called this, "The Golden Age of Liberty Athletics."

We should be/hopefully are positioned well for the next round of realignment.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote: March 21st, 2021, 8:56 am Eventually programs will start sniffing around.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 725342001/
Seems like a dumb, space-eating article. Borders on click-bait. Dutcher? I’d be surprised. Pitino? He’s said aloud this is his last stop before retirement.

Hmm, let’s just look at the bracket and see what mid-major names we recognize.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:36 am
lawrenceq wrote: March 21st, 2021, 8:56 am Eventually programs will start sniffing around.

Seems like a dumb, space-eating article. Borders on click-bait. Dutcher? I’d be surprised. Pitino? He’s said aloud this is his last stop before retirement.

The article was published on 3/17, which was before he made his statement about being done with the big-time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm
JK37 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 11:36 am

The article was published on 3/17, which was before he made his statement about being done with the big-time.
Got a link to that statement? I'm not at all surprised, but I was not aware.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It was on his post game presser. ESPN even had a headline. Yes, I’m too lazy to link it
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And he’s been saying it since he was hired. He said it again on ESPN’s Bracketology show on selection Sunday.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:56 pm It was on his post game presser. ESPN even had a headline. Yes, I’m too lazy to link it
Great news for us. That pretty much means he is a lifer, because I certainly can't see him going anywhere else that is NOT the big time. Now we need him to talk HF into doing the same. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 21st, 2021, 12:56 pm It was on his post game presser. ESPN even had a headline. Yes, I’m too lazy to link it
Great news for us. That pretty much means he is a lifer, because I certainly can't see him going anywhere else that is NOT the big time. Now we need him to talk HF into doing the same. 8)
My bad. Sorry to get your hopes up. I thought you were talking about Pitino
Apparently I’m too lazy to read as well Study Study :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
On further review, it looks like lawrenceq was referring to Pitino in his original post, but it was a bit confusing in a thread about McKay. I think there is a good chance it's true anyway, but I suspect Ritchie is reluctant to make statements like that after what happened his first go-round at Liberty.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2021, 1:17 pm On further review, it looks like lawrenceq was referring to Pitino in his original post, but it was a bit confusing in a thread about McKay. I think there is a good chance it's true anyway, but I suspect Ritchie is reluctant to make statements like that after what happened his first go-round at Liberty.
IMVHO RMK is here unless he gets a Blue or at least Blue/Grey blood offer. Like HCHF most jobs at this point are gonna be lateral moves or a small jump. RMK can build and maintain something at LU. You very easily could juxtapose Pitino and RMK’s name in that statement
ballcoach15 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Every time I talked to a RM during his time at UVA about their offense, he would chuckle. It cracked them up how much attention their offense got when they were just looking for something that

IU isn’t blue-blood anymore, so we’re safe there.
Sly Fox liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 4:57 pm Every time I talked to a RM during his time at UVA about their offense, he would chuckle. It cracked them up how much attention their offense got when they were just looking for something that

IU isn’t blue-blood anymore, so we’re safe there.
They’re still a blue blood. Just on hard times.
By Liberty_2023
Thankful for Mckay and think he will be a lifer at liberty. Could turn us into a high level midmajor like Villanova. Hopefully we can consistently be in the second round of the NCAA tournament over these next few years and then build into something even greater over time.
flameshaw, LU 57 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not sure what mid-major even means, if it can be applied to programs like Villanova and UConn. Obviously, the Big East has always been a major--and some years--"the" major. So, if mid-major can be applied to them, then the term is pretty useless.

We are light years away from anything even closely resembling Villanova and their three national championships.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
For some people Mid-Major means anyone who isn’t in the P5, which is silly since the P5 designation is about football.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]