If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Title IX has nothing to do with Coach's pay. Actually it doesn't have anything to do with coaches, if my memory is correct.
By Ewglenn
Everything he has done has been top notch. Turning the program around in four years, 20+ win seasons, ncaa bid/win, now getting the two highest rated commits coming in the next two classes. He needs to be at 1 million to ensure he is not poached by anyone except if a P5/BE team comes knocking.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Everything he has done has been top notch. Turning the program around in four years, 20+ win seasons, ncaa bid/win, now getting the two highest rated commits coming in the next two classes. He needs to be at 1 million to ensure he is not poached by anyone except if a P5/BE team comes knocking.
I'm as excited as can be to have signed Kyle Rode and gotten a commitment from Isiah Warfield. I think they are really talented players and great fits for our program. Having said that, I think too much has been made about how they are our 2 highest rated recruits ever. Both of those ratings came from 247 sports, a service that apparently thinks Dale Layer is still our coach and we have only one commitment for 2019.

https://liberty.247sports.com/Season/20 ... l/Commits/

The other services have their issues too, but just sayin.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Tech might be looking for a new coach. Texas A&M prepared to offer Buzz Williams its vacant head coach position.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Maybe they will hire Dale Layer. :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Tech might be looking for a new coach. Texas A&M prepared to offer Buzz Williams its vacant head coach position.
That will be an interesting choice for Buzz. What A&M is going to offer him (reportedly at least 3.5 mil) is not a huge jump from the 3 mil he makes now, and he could certainly leverage this into an upgrade. He has a pretty good thing going in Blacksburg, and would be rebuilding at A&M. Having said that, the fact that he is from Texas probably means the Hokies should start looking. A&M reportedly has "no secondary candidate."

https://gigemgazette.com/2019/03/30/tex ... -williams/

As far as Layer is concerned, his going along would be a stone cold, lead pipe cinch.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I actually think its a no brainer for buzz. They will pay whatever is needed. (See jimbo from fsu which has much deeper pockets). Better facilities and a better chance at sustained success in sec. Buzz has done as much as he can at vt with the location facilities etc. He still has duke unc and uva within 2 hours plus louisville will be back and fsu is here to stay as well.

Also hes from texas i believe and there is a little beef between him and ad i have heard. That was also the case at marquette so you start to wonder if some of that is buzz. Finally tech has lost money mast couple years thanks to fuente and buzz deals and football has underperfomed. As a state school that stuff matters in terms of money.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Would McKay be considered for a Va tech opening. It would land him in the ACC with his buddy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Tech might be looking for a new coach. Texas A&M prepared to offer Buzz Williams its vacant head coach position.
They offered and he accepted. Will they look to Marquette again for their head MBB coach?
By 1slimmaroon
I am hearing that Tech is pursuing Greg Marshall from Wichita State. Makes sense, since he is from the area and coached basketball at Cave Spring in Roanoke. I hope that transpires and not Coach McKay leaving.
By 1slimmaroon
Yes, I have also heard Wojo from Marquette. All seem to be good candidates. .
Agreed, just not Coach McKay.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This would be Marshall's first HC job where he had to deal with playing second fiddle to football.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:This would be Marshall's first HC job where he had to deal with playing second fiddle to football.
Which I’m not sure he is ok with
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:This would be Marshall's first HC job where he had to deal with playing second fiddle to football.
Which I’m not sure he is ok with
:nod

He reportedly passed on potential high major offers the year he took WSU to the final 4 because he liked the situation there with basketball being the center attraction.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
3 reasons I don't think Ritchie is going anywhere.

1) He loves it where he is.
2) Things look like they are only going to get better.
3) If he went to VT, he would have to go up against Bennett at least twice a year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:I agree with 1 & 2. RMK would say "bring it" to #3.
Oh, he's a competitor, and the day will no doubt come when they will lock horns, but it's pretty clear neither of them wants it right now, or it would have happened.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
SumItUp wrote:I agree with 1 & 2. RMK would say "bring it" to #3.
Oh, he's a competitor, and the day will no doubt come when they will lock horns, but it's pretty clear neither of them wants it right now, or it would have happened.
He said as much in a recent interview. He doesn't relish playing UVA with Bennett any time soon.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I agree with both of you. If the administration takes care of him and I think they will, he'll be around a long time. He won't, however, be making a career decision out of lack of desire to compete against a friend.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jerry just tweeted we gave Ritchie a multi-year extension.
That is fantastic news. Shows that their is mutual commitment there and rewards Ritchie for doing such a fantastic job.

Won't stop the speculation during each off season but that comes with the territory.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]