If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
That’s actually really impressive

Well done HCRMK and guys
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I’m concerned that UCLA has an opening
Too many names on that list already. Unless a LOT of dominoes fall, I don't think we will have to worry about Coach leaving soon. Now MAYBE after next year, (I expect us to be better next season), he will be high on someone's list. Hopefully he will decide that leaving LU once, was enough.
The UVA coach is considered #1 on UCLA's list right now, which could impact RM's future. For some reason, I don't think he would want to follow Bennett at UVA. Just guessing.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think McKay is here to stay... He's got a great opportunity here and I think he and his family likes it here. He will get paid and he has full control over the program.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Too many names on that list already. Unless a LOT of dominoes fall, I don't think we will have to worry about Coach leaving soon. Now MAYBE after next year, (I expect us to be better next season), he will be high on someone's list. Hopefully he will decide that leaving LU once, was enough.
The UVA coach is considered #1 on UCLA's list right now, which could impact RM's future. For some reason, I don't think he would want to follow Bennett at UVA. Just guessing.
Sorry, but my East Coast bias says that TB would be crazy to go to UCLA. They had their day... is it really better than UVa? I think UVa has a bit more prestige and has a significantly bigger endowment (because we all know that is the most important thing). Yeah...I'm sure that sounds pretty naive.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Sorry, but my East Coast bias says that TB would be crazy to go to UCLA. They had their day... is it really better than UVa? I think UVa has a bit more prestige and has a significantly bigger endowment (because we all know that is the most important thing). Yeah...I'm sure that sounds pretty naive.
Bennett leaving UVA for UCLA would be crazy. LU for UCLA......
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Maybe I am being naive, but I see RM being here for a very long time. UVA changed him.

So happy this program continues to reach new heights. Now, let's make some noise next week!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Maybe I am being naive, but I see RM being here for a very long time. UVA changed him.

So happy this program continues to reach new heights. Now, let's make some noise next week!
I’m not sure you are wrong. But....
By tyndal23
I think Ian will be a major influence on JR ( if he isn’t that in to hoops ) keeping McKay happy financially and P5 offers at bay. We have an opportunity to be a Gonzaga with McKay and new arena ( I know that is easy to throw out and much harder to do ) but McKay is absolutely the PERFECT fit for LU as a man, coach and leader. $ should not be a factor if we are truly trying to be the best in all sports.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I think UCLA is a better job than UVA. Right now, the best thing about UVA is Bennett. If he were to leave, UVA becomes a mid-level ACC team again. It is much easier to win a PAC12 title than an ACC title and UCLA does have a rich history. Someone who could revive that program would leave a legacy that would last many, many, moons.
I admit to being just a little prejudiced. I root for UCLA, Duke, UVA, in that order. Play Basketball
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I think UCLA is a better job than UVA. Right now, the best thing about UVA is Bennett. If he were to leave, UVA becomes a mid-level ACC team again.
I agree 100%. The Wooden days will never return to Westwood but that program is in the perfect position to own the west coast once again with the right staff who can lock down L.A. talent.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We were comparing the jobs between L.A. & C-Ville. The Bruins have been down for so long that the value of that slot has been lost on most. But it is still there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We were comparing the jobs between L.A. & C-Ville. The Bruins have been down for so long that the value of that slot has been lost on most. But it is still there.
I dunno if UCLA can get back or has anything left. They’ve pretty much proven incapable of making a splash on the National scene without incurring violations. Kids today see UCLA and think Bill Walton on TV. Not a good look.
But you bring in a guy like McKay who has pedigree with mid major success and give him a long run way and he will do well. To address Jon’s point, I didn’t think Bennett’s System would translate to the ACC and he did pretty could with it in the PAC 10
By ElmersTwin
Sly Fox wrote:
flameshaw wrote:I think UCLA is a better job than UVA. Right now, the best thing about UVA is Bennett. If he were to leave, UVA becomes a mid-level ACC team again.
I agree 100%. The Wooden days will never return to Westwood but that program is in the perfect position to own the west coast once again with the right staff who can lock down L.A. talent.
The best part of the UCLA gig (besides the brand) is the ease of making it into the tourney at this point. The PAC 12 is a crap shoot and a half.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I would love to see Bennett leave for UCLA. ( or any school)
Why the hate, Ballcoach? Bennett is a good Christian coach, and we are indebted to him for teaching McKay the Pack Line.
As I have been thinking about how cool it is for any one of us to look at the AP poll or Coaches poll and see Liberty receiving votes this question has come to my mind, "did anybody on this board expect us to receive votes in either poll this year?" The beauty of this is that if we win 1 game in the tournament the final AP and Coaches polls could have us higher in both of these polls. Reality also is that if we make a sweet 16 run which is not unrealistic for a 12 seed or 13 seed then we could even be ranked in the top 25 when the final polls come out. This is no doubt uncharted waters for our basketball program and I am loving it!

Something else I have been tossing around in my mind. Gonzaga is ranked #1 in the country and they are now a perennial powerhouse in college basketball. I understand due to their conference affiliation why they are not a Power 5. But are they really a mid-major due to their year in and year out success as well as their year in and year out national ranking? With Gonzaga as the example and with our quick ascend since Coach McKay's return how soon could LU become a perennial top 25 team like Gonzaga?

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]