If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I don’t want this fact to get lost in all the excitement:

Ritchie McKay has taken us from a team ranked in the 300s to a legitimate top 50 team.

None of us thought he could do that this quickly, if ever.

I know we can win on Friday, but let’s also take a minute to soak in this accomplishment because it’s pretty amazing.
By tyndal23
Agreed. It has been good old school basketball and refreshing to watch - not just some Cinderella story on a hot streak. Love the way they play D and pass the ball around and work for good looks ( admittedly a bit boring with our O the 1st 2 years of McKay, better last year and just plain fun this year ). 12 days off is a long time, hopefully we don’t start off slow and can play solid all game - if so we really can beat this team unless they go crazy on 3 pointers.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t want this fact to get lost in all the excitement:

Ritchie McKay has taken us from a team ranked in the 300s to a legitimate top 50 team.

None of us thought he could do that this quickly, if ever.

I know we can win on Friday, but let’s also take a minute to soak in this accomplishment because it’s pretty amazing.
I am not at all surprised that McKay made us a respectable team so soon. I think he will continue to make us even better every year.
As football continues to improve (it has to), and we get to a bowl game, etc. it will lift the profile of the school even more. As a result, it will help all of the sports. RMK will do well, regardless. He is a great coach and has the right contacts. I just hope we can keep him until he retires.
Finally, and I hate to be negative, but I don't see us with much of a chance to beat MSU, maybe 1 in 10. I hope like heck we do, (I have a very annoying neighbor, who graduated from there), but don't think we have enough size/depth down low. We will have to shoot extremely well from behind the arc to pull this one out. In spite of the win or loss Friday, this has been an excellent season for us. So happy for the entire team and staff.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: I am not at all surprised that McKay made us a respectable team so soon. I think he will continue to make us even better every year.
As football continues to improve (it has to), and we get to a bowl game, etc. it will lift the profile of the school even more. As a result, it will help all of the sports. RMK will do well, regardless. He is a great coach and has the right contacts. I just hope we can keep him until he retires.
Finally, and I hate to be negative, but I don't see us with much of a chance to beat MSU, maybe 1 in 10. I hope like heck we do, (I have a very annoying neighbor, who graduated from there), but don't think we have enough size/depth down low. We will have to shoot extremely well from behind the arc to pull this one out. In spite of the win or loss Friday, this has been an excellent season for us. So happy for the entire team and staff.
ESPN's BPI gives us a 23.4% chance of winning Friday night, as well as a 4% chance of making the Sweet 16. Neither are particularly high for a 12 seed.

Either way, I was thinking the same thing. It's very possible that we see Liberty's best basketball team of all time this year as well as the best football team of all time. It's a good time to be a fan of the Flames.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]