If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

oldflame wrote:Yup.
It does include grad transfers. I think the number on that is somewhere between 150 and 200. The total is going to be close to 1000 by the time the dust has settled. About 20%.
I’d put grad transfers in a different category similar to JUCO transfers. Hard to believe though that 20% of players transfer. I would have put that number at 10–15. BUT that’s about 1 or 2 players per team or so. That makes sense.
Purple Haize wrote:
It does include grad transfers. I think the number on that is somewhere between 150 and 200. The total is going to be close to 1000 by the time the dust has settled. About 20%.
I’d put grad transfers in a different category similar to JUCO transfers. Hard to believe though that 20% of players transfer. I would have put that number at 10–15. BUT that’s about 1 or 2 players per team or so. That makes sense.
Per verbalcommits.com, the final count last year was 878, of which over 600 were "immediately eligible".

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018

It looks like about half of those immediately eligible players were grad transfers, with the rest being players going to non D1 schools and JUCOs, or getting some sort of hardship exemption. That's a guestimate on my part, because they don't separate them out and it's way more work than I want to do to sort that out and get a count by looking at each player's eligibility status and where they are going.

Bottom line is that it works out to about 2.5 per school total, fairly equally divided between grad transfers, players moving down to a lower division, and those transferring to another D1 school and sitting a year. Of the players doing D1-D1 transfers, it appears only a small fraction were "moving up" from low/mid-major to high major programs.
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Per verbalcommits.com, the final count last year was 878, of which over 600 were "immediately eligible".

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2018

It looks like about half of those immediately eligible players were grad transfers, with the rest being players going to non D1 schools and JUCOs, or getting some sort of hardship exemption. That's a guestimate on my part, because they don't separate them out and it's way more work than I want to do to sort that out and get a count by looking at each player's eligibility status and where they are going.

Bottom line is that it works out to about 2.5 per school total, fairly equally divided between grad transfers, players moving down to a lower division, and those transferring to another D1 school and sitting a year. Of the players doing D1-D1 transfers, it appears only a small fraction were "moving up" from low/mid-major to high major programs.
So really, you take out Grad Transfers and players transferring down a level it’s not that dramatic. I can see a good number of those Transferring down deciding they’d rather play somewhere than sit somewhere. It’s a personal choice and certainly not foundation shattering
Something which I believe "some people" overlook is the obvious fact that while almost 900 players transferred OUT of D1 programs last year, there were about 600 that transferred IN, with the remainder going to non D-1 or JUCO. That's a net loss of less than 1 per team and those are mostly players who were borderline D1 talents to begin with. The number of players transferring IN from the JUCO ranks probably pretty much cancels them out.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]