If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I believe JM is still #1, but will not be for long.
Dan Manley was the first basketball coach in 72 and Dale Gibson helped him the next year.
JM recruited a couple of the best all-time at LU and did take us from a NCCAA team to D1. He overcame tremendous obstacles to grow a good program. Good guy, and he left at the right time. He was like Rocco, took us as far as he could and then moved on. The biggest mistake he made was not making an assistant coaching change, when he was warned about what was going on. (Not trying to start a fight, or say anything bad about anyone).
RMK, will easily be the GOAT if he stays a few more years and gets us to the dance, one more time. He has also been given the tools to do that. Love the guy and hope we have nothing but continued success. It would be fantastic if LU is his last job. Play Basketball
flameshaw wrote:I believe JM is still #1, but will not be for long.
Dan Manley was the first basketball coach in 72 and Dale Gibson helped him the next year.
JM recruited a couple of the best all-time at LU and did take us from a NCCAA team to D1. He overcame tremendous obstacles to grow a good program. Good guy, and he left at the right time. He was like Rocco, took us as far as he could and then moved on. The biggest mistake he made was not making an assistant coaching change, when he was warned about what was going on. (Not trying to start a fight, or say anything bad about anyone).
RMK, will easily be the GOAT if he stays a few more years and gets us to the dance, one more time. He has also been given the tools to do that. Love the guy and hope we have nothing but continued success. It would be fantastic if LU is his last job. Play Basketball
You are spot on regarding Jeff's biggest mistake, although I suspect it may have been too late for him to do anything about it.
Well, as if things weren't bad enough for the Bison's, with their head coach leaving for their cross town rivals and a boatload of points and rebounds graduating, now this.

Their best returning player, guard Kenny Cooper, has announced he is planning to enter the transfer portal.
Agreed. I see a lot of people on various social media platforms happy about this development but I couldn't disagree more. It does us no good to play in a weak conference. All of these recent developments weaken the conference and so therefore weaken our program. It makes our job much tougher.
thepostman wrote:Agreed. I see a lot of people on various social media platforms happy about this development but I couldn't disagree more. It does us no good to play in a weak conference. All of these recent developments weaken the conference and so therefore weaken our program. It makes our job much tougher.
+1
thepostman wrote:Agreed. I see a lot of people on various social media platforms happy about this development but I couldn't disagree more. It does us no good to play in a weak conference. All of these recent developments weaken the conference and so therefore weaken our program. It makes our job much tougher.
Certainly not optimal for our upward mobility to have so many conference opponents "rebuilding". It has been a top heavy conference for years, with the mid pack bad and the bottom awful. Next year the top could be just us, although I think N Florida will probably be pretty good (unless they have some more transfers).

I don't expect much from FGCU again, with their top 3 players gone and nothing all that impressive in the recruiting pipeline. It's looking to me like trying to cling to the last vestiges of the"Dunk City" legacy by promoting Fly to HC was a mistake. I give it another year or 2 before they move on from that. Jacksonville played us tough last year but they have SIX players transferring out (so far). NJIT loses their big man and Stetson and KSU are just plain awful. N Alabama might actually be the 3rd best team in the conference.
Unless changes are made, transfers will destroy college basketball, and hurt other sports also. I read recently there are nearly 1000 players in transfer portal. Some schools seem to recruit other schools more than they do high schools.
North Florida softball team even had 7 transfers on their roster. Free agency is more alive in NCAA than it is in the pro leagues.
ballcoach15 wrote:Unless changes are made, transfers will destroy college basketball, and hurt other sports also. I read recently there are nearly 1000 players in transfer portal. Some schools seem to recruit other schools more than they do high schools.
North Florida softball team even had 7 transfers on their roster. Free agency is more alive in NCAA than it is in the pro leagues.
You read wrong. 670 in the transfer portal to date:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

1000 is quite possible before it's over.

I have yet to hear you give any explanation as to why transfers would "destroy" college basketball. Does it present a challenge for coaches at times? Sure, but that is part of their job, and every one of them knows that the players are only doing what they can and will do themselves if they have the opportunity.

As I have stated repeatedly, the vast majority of transfers are beneficial to all parties. The player gets a new start with a program that needs his services more and the school he leaves gets a scholarship to recruit a player who hopefully will be a better fit for them.

The insinuation that "recruiting" of players from other schools before they announce their intention to transfer is happening on any kind of a large scale is totally unsubstantiated, and quite frankly, wrong. Too much risk involved compared to the reward.

Yes, there are some coaches who emphasize transfers a lot in filling their rosters. We had one at Liberty for several years. Not a fan of that. It almost never works out well in the long run, but the solution is not to ban transfers. It has a way of working itself out. That former LU coach hasn't sniffed a real coaching job in 12 years.
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers should be granted only on a case by case basis, with a good need to transfer.

I knew a player who played for 4 high schools in 4 years. Then he went to college and I believe he played for 3 colleges in 4 years, maybe 4.

Your first statement is a totally made up personal opinion, and has nothing to do with reality. You have yet to ever come close to giving a reasonable explanation for why that is the way it "should" be.

What someone did in high school is totally irrelevant. We are talking about the NCAA.

There are a LOT of athletes who play for 3 schools in their NCAA career. 2 basketball players who started at Liberty come to mind off the top of my head; Chris Perez and Evan Gordan. There is nothing extraordinary about it, and it is perfectly permissible within the rules. You just don't LIKE it, which in your world makes it wrong. I am not aware of any NCAA athlete who has ever played for 4 teams. As far as I can tell, that is not possible within the rules as written, although perhaps there have been cases where a special exemption was made.
ballcoach15 wrote:Transfers should be granted only on a case by case basis, with a good need to transfer.

I knew a player who played for 4 high schools in 4 years. Then he went to college and I believe he played for 3 colleges in 4 years, maybe 4.
Define “Good Need”

You didnt answer my question. Here it is again because you love not answering questions.
thepostman wrote:Coaches leave all the time for better situations and that often has a greater impact than the majority if the college players who transfer. Is that also destroying college basketball?
No, coaches leaving isn't destroying college basketball. Problem with players leaving is the number grows each year.

With number of transfers in portal now, there are enough to stock over 50 teams with 13 players each.

Just a matter of time before someone gets caught paying a player to transfer.
That’s already against the rules! That’s the same logic idiot gun grabbers use. If they’re already committing violations, another rule isn’t going to stop them.

The NCAA is constantly loosening restrictions on players transferring because a coach left because that the biggest cause for transfers. Big shock here but you mentioned enough transfers for 50 thirteen man rosters. Take a stab at how many D1 schools changed coaches in the past month. Fifty one. It may not be causation but clearly there is a correlation. Assuming even distribution, we're looking at about 2 transfers per school. I'd love to see how those 650 break down for playing time. Starters, active bench, and never playing.
I would concede that putting the type of restrictions on transfers that ballcoach suggests might make it harder to "buy" one, but that is something that pretty much never happens as it is. To be honest, I have never heard of one. It's hard for me to fathom how someone could actually think that would be worth taking away the freedom and opportunity for hundreds of student athletes a year to put themselves in a better situation.
ballcoach15 wrote:No, coaches leaving isn't destroying college basketball. Problem with players leaving is the number grows each year.

With number of transfers in portal now, there are enough to stock over 50 teams with 13 players each.

There are fewer coaches than players. So 1 of 1 coach leaving a program would be more destructive than 1 of 13 players leaving a program
Also, Army math is weird. Unless there are 650 players in the transfer portal
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:No, coaches leaving isn't destroying college basketball. Problem with players leaving is the number grows each year.

There are fewer coaches than players. So 1 of 1 coach leaving a program would be more destructive than 1 of 13 players leaving a program
The current number is 684, so that's one thing that is not so weird.
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

The current number is 684, so that's one thing that is not so weird.
There are 684 players in the transfer portal? Does that include Grad transfers ? I’m not up to speed on my Transfer Portal. There are about 4500 D1 players. So that’s 15%ish?
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]