If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of North Florida
Jacksonville, Florida

UNF Hoops Official Site

Matthew Driscoll
10th Season as UNF Head Coach - Longtime Scott Drew Assistant Prior to UNF

2018-2019 Schedule/Results
  • NOV 09 - @ PENN STATE ............................ L 72-87
    NOV 14 - EDWARD WATERS ........................ W 95-83

CANCUN CHALLENGE
    NOV 17 - @ WRIGHT STATE ........................ L 72-89
    NOV 20 - vs. SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI ........ W 64-48
    NOV 21 - vs. JACKSONVILLE STATE ............ L 78-83

NOV 27 - @ FLORIDA .................................. L 66-98
    NOV 29 - FLORIDA A&M .............................. W 81-62
    DEC 01 - @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN ........ W 76-70
    DEC 11 - @ MINNESOTA ............................. L 71-80
    DEC 13 - @ FIU .......................................... L 89-102
    DEC 15 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN ........... W 68-61
    DEC 19 - @ # 11 FLORIDA STATE ................ L 81-95
    DEC 29 - @ #12 AUBURN ........................... L 49-95
    JAN 02 - FLORIDA NATIONAL .................... W 104-76
    JAN 05 - NORTH ALABAMA* ...................... W 96-67
    JAN 09 - @ LIPSCOMB* ............................. L 66-81
    JAN 12 - FGCU* ........................................ W 87-66
    JAN 16 - @ STETSON* .............................. W 87-77
    JAN 19 - @ LIBERTY* ................................. L 64-70
    JAN 21 - NJIT* .......................................... L 72-76
    JAN 24 - JACKSONVILLE* ......................... L 81-86
    JAN 27 - @ FGCU* ..................................... L 80-88
    JAN 30 - @ KENNESAW STATE* ................ L 64-81
    FEB 06 - LIPSCOMB* ................................. L 55-92
    FEB 09 - @ NORTH ALABAMA* ................... W 82-73
    FEB 13 - KENNESAW STATE* ..................... W 80-57
    FEB 16 - @ NJIT* ...................................... W 64-63
    FEB 20 - @ JACKSONVILLE* ..................... W 80-73 in OT
    FEB 23 - LIBERTY* ..................................... W 75-70
    FEB 26 - STETSON* ................................... W 77-67

ASUN TOURNAMENT
    MAR 04 - QUARTER: NORTH ALABAMA ...... W 76-66
    MAR 07 - SEMI: @ LIBERTY
    MAR 10 - CHAMPIONSHIP

Key Players

#0 Noah Horchler - DIsmissed from Team
    6' 8" 210 lbs Junior Forward (JUCO Transfer)
    In 28 Games: Averaging 16.0 Pts, 9.3 Rebs, 1.3 Assists & 1.8 Blocks + 54.9 FG%

#2 Wajid Aminu
    6' 7" 190 lbs Junior Forward
    Thru 32 Games: Averaging 11.6 Pts, 6.5 Rebs, 1.3 Assists & 1.8 Blocks + 54.5 FG% + 10-of-26 (38.5%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#3 JT Escobar
    6' 3" 183 lbs Junior Guard (Ole MIss Transfer)
    Thru 32 Games: Averaging 10.0 Pts, 2.0 Rebs & 1.2 Assists + 74-of-196 (37.8%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#10 Ivan Gandia-Rosa
    6' 1" 190 lbs Junior Guard (JUCO Transfer & Puerto Rico National Teammate of Georgie)
    Thru 32 Games: Averaging 10.6 Pts, 3.2 Rebs & 5.3 Assists + 57-of-151 (37.7%) on 3-Pt Attempts + 75.0 FT%

#11 Garrett Sams
    6' 7" 195 lbs Junior Guard/Forward
    Thru 32 Games: Averaging 12.2 Pts, 4.9 Rebs & 2.5 Assists + 58-of-171 (33.9%) on 3-Pt Attempts + 81.6 FT%
ballcoach15 wrote:Pay back time.

:roll: :roll:
"Pay back?" They beat us in a basketball game which is what basketball teams are supposed to do. Our focus will be totally on correcting the things we did wrong which allowed that to happen.
I was shocked to see that ESPN BPI has us at a 93% chance of winning this game. I was thinking maybe 80% at best. This will be a tough game if the first two meetings are any indicator, but thats what March is for, right? Gotta win some tough ones.
North Florida is certiantly a team trending in the right direction but if we can pick up where we left off last night then I think we will be fine. 2 full days to prepare and rest up will also be a very good thing.
WinthropEagleFan wrote:If this was in another thread, I'm sorry for repeating it here, but Noah Horchler was dismissed from the UNF program back in late February...so you all don't have to worry about him in the semis (and no surprise that today he announced that he will be transferring).

https://www.news-journalonline.com/spor ... -dismissal
Does anyone know why he was dismissed? He played really well against Liberty.
Kolzilla41 wrote:
WinthropEagleFan wrote:If this was in another thread, I'm sorry for repeating it here, but Noah Horchler was dismissed from the UNF program back in late February...so you all don't have to worry about him in the semis (and no surprise that today he announced that he will be transferring).

The only thing I'm aware of is it was his second violation for the same thing and Driscoll has a hard and fast "2 strikes you're out" policy. He had good numbers against us, but we won, whereas they have continued to play well without him, winning 7 straight, including the win over us. We're gunna need to bring our A game.
oldflame wrote:
Kolzilla41 wrote:

The only thing I'm aware of is it was his second violation for the same thing and Driscoll has a hard and fast "2 strikes you're out" policy. He had good numbers against us, but we won, whereas they have continued to play well without him, winning 7 straight, including the win over us. We're gunna need to bring our A game.

You mean “our A-Sun game” :D :lol: :lol: :D
Dalegarz1 wrote:5 point game at the half. Need to guard the arc better and hit our free throws!
Yeah, we should be up by 10 points or so. Hope we play better in the second half.

2-7 from 3 point range and 3-8 from free throw isn't great.
If Aminu is the best defensive player in the ASun then YIKES, Scottie James took him to school over and over and over again. And no that's not intended to be a knock on Scottie at all. A defensive POY should be able to provide some resistance instead of getting destroyed.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Great win and atmosphere. I dont get how they went 16 and 17. They have/had a lot of talent. Scottie had one of his best games of the season. I think the key to avoiding those lulls is to keep featuring him and ay through him. We never had the huge drought tonight and that helped tremendously.

Hope cabbil is ok. Certainly need him on short turn around.
Last edited by jinxy on March 8th, 2019, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jinxy wrote:Great win and atmosphere. I dont get how they went 16 and 17. They have/had a lot of talent. Scottie had one of his best games of the season. I think they key to avoiding those lulls is to keep featuring him and ay through him. We never had the huge drought tonight and that helped tremendously.

Hope cabbil is ok. Certainly need him on short turn around.
The reason they lost 17 games on the season is the same reason they lost this one. The 16 turnovers they committed last night was their AVERAGE on the year, and with us doing a great job of taking care of the ball and only committing 6, those 10 extra possessions made all the difference in a game where they made almost half of their 27 3s.
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]