If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Is this the best Liberty MBB team of all-time?

Yes
60%
No
8%
If they make NCAAs
27%
If they make NIT or NCAAs
6%
thepostman wrote:I think it's clear they are the best team of all time but now that the old timers are on board it solidifies it.

This team is special.
Win one in the Tournament first 8)
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I think it's clear they are the best team of all time but now that the old timers are on board it solidifies it.

This team is special.
Win one in the Tournament first 8)
This is the first team in the tournament which has a legitimate shot at doing that, other than the play-in game in 2013. Tied for most wins in program history. I think they're already there as best ever, no question.
ballcoach15 wrote:I will go on record as saying this is best LU men's basketball team of all time.
Good observation coach. Kinda like saying the Kardashian's have big butts. Obvious to anyone who has seen a basketball. Play Basketball This team played with the poise and talent never before seen on The Mountain.
I seriously doubt Ballcoach knows what a Kardashian is. :oldhag
Cider Jim wrote:I seriously doubt Ballcoach knows what a Kardashian is. :oldhag
I bet he likes big butts and he cannot lie.....
A Sea of Red wrote:Is this the best Liberty MBB team of all time?
Most definitely. I was in Charleston in '94 when we won the Big South and went to the Big Dance the first time. I've seen every LU team that has gone to the Big Dance. This year's team is by far the best in every aspect.
JK37 wrote:So the prequalifcation is the team must have gone to NCAA Tourney? I disagree.

I’m telling you ‘97 was a great team, talent-wise.
100% agree, and I believe they would have been in the dance were it not for Marcus White's groin injury during the BSC tournament. Despite Aluma's graduation, the 97-98 team was set up to be even better. Then TSHTF with mass dismissals and the coup de'tat which led to Meyer stepping down as HC
JK37 wrote:So the prequalifcation is the team must have gone to NCAA Tourney? I disagree.
Well, that's not what I said, but you certainly implied it. I was simply comparing previous NCAA Tourney teams to the current team. However, I do think that making the NCAA puts you in the conversation. Even the 2012-2013 team. Winning the big games when it counts is what great teams do. Those 4 teams plus last year's squad and probably the 1996-1997 team are the only legit teams in this conversation.
VarsityLu wrote:
Well, that's not what I said, but you certainly implied it. I was simply comparing previous NCAA Tourney teams to the current team. However, I do think that making the NCAA puts you in the conversation. Even the 2012-2013 team. Winning the big games when it counts is what great teams do. Those 4 teams plus last year's squad and probably the 1996-1997 team are the only legit teams in this conversation.
I totally disagree on the 2013 team. Being good for 4 days may have gotten them into the tournament, but it does not erase how BAD they were for 4 months. I don't see how you could put last years team in the conversation when it's so simple to compare and we are demonstrably better this year.
oldflame wrote:
VarsityLu wrote:
I totally disagree on the 2013 team. Being good for 4 days may have gotten them into the tournament, but it does not erase how BAD they were for 4 months. I don't see how you could put last years team in the conversation when it's so simple to compare and we are demonstrably better this year.
In the conversation doesn't mean they will come out on top. It simply means they earned the right to be considered. I think the six teams I mentioned have all done that. In my opinion, those are the best six LU teams of all time with this year's team being #1. I'd agree that the 96-97 team would be second. Last year's team and the 93-94 team would be in the mix for 3rd and 4th all time and I think you could argue it both ways. Personally, I'd put the 93-94 team 3rd simply because of the excitement they brought and how they blazed a new trail. Even their first round against UNC that year was amazing. Unforgettable, really. I think last year's team may have had more talent, but they didn't get it done when it counted. The 12-13 team would be sixth on my list, but again, they at least earned consideration.
Ewglenn wrote:If Buffalo Wild Wings is correct it would be the greatest team ever.

For some reason it isn’t copying the url correctly but they had us losing in the final to Cincinnati in one of their brackets.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote:
Well, that's not what I said, but you certainly implied it...
I never implied it, but I may have inferred it.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]