If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Is this the best Liberty MBB team of all-time?

Yes
60%
No
8%
If they make NCAAs
27%
If they make NIT or NCAAs
6%
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Right up there with the 1997 team, maybe better but it depends on what you look at. Aluma, White, Jackson, Reed, and Sorenson. Graham and Caldwell off the bench. That team had a lot of talent but lacked a signature win. This year Lipscomb and UCLA were our signature wins
I know that 97 team had some big playmakers, but when you look at who we have played this year and the consistency put on display week in and week out (aside from the first Lipscomb game) this team has become the best team in the history of LU BBall. It would be hard to argue against them even if we don't make it to the NCAA or NIT. Wins vs. #30 ranked Lipscomb, UCLA, Kent State (19-6), Georgia State (18-8) and then the 5th best scoring defense in ALL of college basketball. As of today, LU is 54th in newest NET rankings. According to NET Rankings we have beaten 4 teams rated in the top 140.

If our next loss is the title game to Lipscomb our record would be 28-6 as the final record before post-season play.

28 wins before postseason play, let that sink in! :D
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Yes. And it isn't close.

For Liberty, making the postseason tournament can't be the deciding factor in success -- simply because one bad game in a conference tournament final doesn't mean we aren't a good team. It happens to the best of teams.
ballcoach15 wrote:Now that softball and baseball have started, I have lost track of basketball, but is there anyway possible the ASUN can be a "2 Bid League" to NCAA tournament ?
Lipscomb would have to be at about 30 in the NET ranking and lose to Liberty in the final(dropping them to about 40) to make that happen. Liberty does not have a path to get in at large unless the committee is truly committed to allowing top mid majors in over 12+ loss Power conference teams.

Lipscomb would need double digit wins in all remaining and conference games to climb those 7 spots because of the weakness of the ASUN as a whole.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A team that hasn't been mentioned, and deserves consideration is the 1991-92 squad (our first year in the Big South). Their 22 wins falls 1 short of our D1 record, but their 7 losses and .759 winning % are records to this day. What made that all the more remarkable was the fact that they were 5-22 the previous year, and set what at the time was the all-time NCAA record for most improved record from one year to the next. That was the first year of eligibility for Julius Nwosu. Matt Hildebrand and Chris Toomer were Sophomores, and their best player was 6'9" SR Mike Coleman, who has been WAY underrated among the big men who have played for LU. They lost by 2 to eventual champion Campbell in the tourney semis, with what would have been the game winning 3 pointer rimming out at the buzzer. I was there to see it on a neutral court in Anderson, SC.

Having said all that, I do believe this team (barring some sort of bizarre collapse in the next few games) is the best LIberty team ever.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:A team that hasn't been mentioned, and deserves consideration is the 1991-92 squad (our first year in the Big South)...They lost by 2 to eventual champion Campbell in the tourney semis, with what would have been the game winning 3 pointer rimming out at the buzzer. I was there to see it on a neutral court in Anderson, SC.
Oldflame, is that the game where Jerry, Sr. didn't cancel classes but gave everybody an excused absence who went to the game? The LU campus was a ghost town that day, with only faculty wishing they could have gone to the game, too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:A team that hasn't been mentioned, and deserves consideration is the 1991-92 squad (our first year in the Big South)...They lost by 2 to eventual champion Campbell in the tourney semis, with what would have been the game winning 3 pointer rimming out at the buzzer. I was there to see it on a neutral court in Anderson, SC.
Oldflame, is that the game where Jerry, Sr. didn't cancel classes but gave everybody an excused absence who went to the game? The LU campus was a ghost town that day, with only faculty wishing they could have gone to the game, too.
I'm pretty sure that was the 94 championship game in Charleston, which of course we won. That was also against Campbell. I was at that one too, played in the cavernous N Charleston Civic Center. Over 2000 Liberty fans, mostly students, and maybe 100-150 from Campbell. It was that showing from our fans that likely got us hosting honors for the tournament the next 4 years.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was the 94 championship game in Charleston, which of course we won. That was also against Campbell. I was at that one too, played in the cavernous N Charleston Civic Center. Over 2000 Liberty fans, mostly students, and maybe 100-150 from Campbell. It was that showing from our fans that likely got us hosting honors for the tournament the next 4 years.
And we never won at home. :cry:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sad, but true. I remember UNCA coach Randy Wiel whining about our having too much of an advantage hosting the tournament, but despite drawing some great and supportive crowds, I sometimes think the players felt pressured to win at home, and it may have ultimately worked against us.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I was afraid this survey would JINX us, and it did. :nono :frustrated
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
How is that debatable? Those schools were in the bottom of the conference and absolutely terrible. North Florida is in the top 4 and is a decent squad. Should we have lost? Of course not...but it also isn't nearly as bad as those losses you mentioned.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Don't get me wrong, we shouldn't have lost that game. It was probably one of the poorest RM coaching jobs I have seen. Just because we shouldn't of lost doesn't mean it is nearly as losing to those football teams you mentioned.
GREAT WIN, Sly. And on the big stage of ESPN, beating Lipscomb twice this year in Nashville. :clapping
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]