If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That makes it tough. Was hoping to be more like 50 40. We will need to smoke ksu and north alabama and solidly beat njit and nfu and hope lipscomb struggles and has a couple close games. Honestly think fgcu may give them a tough game.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:and hope lipscomb struggles and has a couple close games.
Why would we hope that? Doesn't their strength in NET help us? :dontgetit
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
jinxy wrote:and hope lipscomb struggles and has a couple close games.
Why would we hope that? Doesn't their strength in NET help us? :dontgetit
Not when it comes to gaining the tiebreaker for first seed in the ASUN tournament. If both LUs finish 15-1, that will go to the team with the better NET ranking.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I have to go back and look but i believe margin of victory is a key component of net along with sos and road games. I may be mixing up net And kenpom.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I have to go back and look but i believe margin of victory is a key component of net along with sos and road games. I may be mixing up net And kenpom.
NET takes margin into account, but caps it at 10 points. I don't see us catching them if we both win out, regardless of scores. Considering what happened in the 2 regular season games, playing them again in Nashville doesn't look so bad.

It would however make a difference in our first round opponent. As things stand now, KSU will be the 8 seed, with the 7 seed up for grabs. As the 2 seed, it is quite possible we would face Jacksonville in the first round, a matchup that scares me.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:I have to go back and look but i believe margin of victory is a key component of net along with sos and road games. I may be mixing up net And kenpom.
NET takes margin into account, but caps it at 10 points. I don't see us catching them if we both win out, regardless of scores. Considering what happened in the 2 regular season games, playing them again in Nashville doesn't look so bad.

It would however make a difference in our first round opponent. As things stand now, KSU will be the 8 seed, with the 7 seed up for grabs. As the 2 seed, it is quite possible we would face Jacksonville in the first round, a matchup that scares me.
Margin is capped at 10 points for one component of the ranking, but another component is net efficiency (essentially your offensive points per possession minus your defensive points per possession)...so the wider your margin of victory, the better your net efficiency...and that's not capped, so there is still incentive to win by more than 10, even if the margin of victory component does have a cap.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... committee/
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
oldflame wrote:

Margin is capped at 10 points for one component of the ranking, but another component is net efficiency (essentially your offensive points per possession minus your defensive points per possession)...so the wider your margin of victory, the better your net efficiency...and that's not capped, so there is still incentive to win by more than 10, even if the margin of victory component does have a cap.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... committee/

Good info WEF, as per usual. Thanks.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

Kennesaw is three games behind Jacksonville/UNF with five to play. Owls would probably have to go 3-2 or 4-1 just to have a chance to get out of 7th. Looks pretty unlikely.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
oldflame wrote:

Kennesaw is three games behind Jacksonville/UNF with five to play. Owls would probably have to go 3-2 or 4-1 just to have a chance to get out of 7th. Looks pretty unlikely.
Kennesaw is currently in 8th, with Stetson in 9th and out of the tourney as things stand. I was thinking more along the lines of Jacksonville finishing strong and dropping someone else like N Alabama to that 7th seed. While we have beaten Jacksonville twice, both have been a struggle. I'm hoping we don't have to face them in the first round. If the Dolphins could climb up to 5th, they would be on Lipscomb's side of the bracket.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looking ahead at Lipscomb's schedule, it looks like FGCU is our best hope to knock them off. They hung with the Bison in Nashville, losing 89-81, and would be at home for the rematch. Lipscomb beat their other 3 remaining opponents handily. Of our remaining 4 opponents, we beat 3 by 20 or more. The exception was N Florida, who played us tough before going down 70-64. I think the prospects of our passing Lipscomb in the NET if we both win out are pretty much nil.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Kennesaw is three games behind Jacksonville/UNF with five to play. Owls would probably have to go 3-2 or 4-1 just to have a chance to get out of 7th. Looks pretty unlikely.[/quote]

Kennesaw is currently in 8th, with Stetson in 9th and out of the tourney as things stand. I was thinking more along the lines of Jacksonville finishing strong and dropping someone else like N Alabama to that 7th seed. While we have beaten Jacksonville twice, both have been a struggle. I'm hoping we don't have to face them in the first round. If the Dolphins could climb up to 5th, they would be on Lipscomb's side of the bracket.[/quote]

I swore I had responded to this the other day, but I guess I forgot to hit submit or something.

My bad on my post. I didn't realize that the A Sun only took eight teams and that UNA was eligible this year. Sometimes, leagues won't allow transitioning members to play in the tournament.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
It's now lonely at the top of the ASUN in men's basketball. Play Basketball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Hopefully Lipscomb will lose another game. And we win out.
Now we control our own destiny.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
One of my sources' source says that Liberty will now host the ASUN tournament. Ballcoach, see if your source agrees with mine.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:One of my sources' source says that Liberty will now host the ASUN tournament. Ballcoach, see if your source agrees with mine.
All of the ASUN MBB tournament games are played at the home court of the higher seed. With Lipscomb having lost their 2nd conference game, if we can win out and get the first seed, we would play all our tournament games at home.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:That would be great, since we probably have the best venue in ASUN.
I'm not sure you understand. It is not a single-site tournament, so the "best venue" is irrelevant. The 1-4 seeds will all play their first round games at home. After that, games will be played at the home court of the higher seed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:That would be great, since we probably have the best venue in ASUN.
I'm not sure you understand. It is not a single-site tournament, so the "best venue" is irrelevant. The 1-4 seeds will all play their first round games at home. After that, games will be played at the home court of the higher seed.
I was 99% sure that's the way it is. But it's great to be "at home".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The Vines Center is not the best venue in the ASUN

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]