If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is done so the conference doesn't look like a complete joke attendance wise when their conference championship game is on national tv. Pretty straight forward stuff, ballcoach.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think it’s fun BC’s way too. SoCon does one site, men and women, same time. Pretty cool. Definitely a Harvard atmosphere. And city of Asheville has really embraced it. Big South suffered last year over at UNCA because city dwellers with no dog in fight went over to SoCon tourney in droves.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Reference single site, I got my words mixed up. What I meant by single site was " just 1 game at a site" . There are pros and cons, no matter which format is used. Biggest problem is some schools do not have facilities to host a conference championship game . Different sport, but I have seen this in softball the past 3 years in BSC.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I think it’s fun BC’s way too. SoCon does one site, men and women, same time. Pretty cool. Definitely a Harvard atmosphere. And city of Asheville has really embraced it. Big South suffered last year over at UNCA because city dwellers with no dog in fight went over to SoCon tourney in droves.
SoCon tournament has always been a solid event, and Asheville is a great fit. Been to a ton of 'em. This year's ought to be really interesting. Wofford, UNCG, Furman and ETSU are all really good.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote:Looking ahead at Lipscomb's schedule, it looks like FGCU is our best hope to knock them off. They hung with the Bison in Nashville, losing 89-81, and would be at home for the rematch. Lipscomb beat their other 3 remaining opponents handily. Of our remaining 4 opponents, we beat 3 by 20 or more. The exception was N Florida, who played us tough before going down 70-64. I think the prospects of our passing Lipscomb in the NET if we both win out are pretty much nil.
OF, you called it...

As to the different venues--intended or unintended--the tournament format places lower seeds at a disadvantage by having to travel to and from most/all the games. Top seed can focus all their time on preparing for their the next opponent.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Outside of Liberty and Virginia, who else runs a packline defense? Trying to see how it does in between our levels.
There are a few other teams that do, though they may do it differently. I believe Xavier and Michigan St also use it
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Outside of Liberty and Virginia, who else runs a packline defense? Trying to see how it does in between our levels.
He learned it from his dad who was a coaching legend in the D3 ranks at Wisconsin-Green Bay before moving up to The Mother Ship in Madison. He was incredibly successful at the D3 level and emulated by several coaches. “Back in the day”, if you wanted to learn how to teach half court Man to Man you went to listen/watch Dick Bennett or Bob Knight
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:
There are a few other teams that do, though they may do it differently. I believe Xavier and Michigan St also use it
Leaving out the "best of the rest" where this is concerned. I'm sure everyone thought when UVA laid an egg in the opening round last year, there surely would not be a pack line team in the final 4. Guess what? There was. Loyola of Chicago.
By Pilotguy24
So we got three games left to lock up home court advantage in the ASUN tourney and we've closed the gap on Lipscomb in the NET rankings (47-55). With two Quad 3 games vs. NF and NJIT and one Quad 4 game vs KSU remaining on our schedule, has the team hit the ceiling in regards to their NET ranking this season? Personally, I don't think they will go above 50, but that all depends on outside factors because the best game remaining on our schedule is a Quad 2 home game vs. Lipscomb in the championship game (if it actually happens). Unless Lipscomb loses again, they will probably stay ahead of us in the NET because of their better Quad 1/2 win-loss record. I do like FGCU's chances of winning out vs. KSU/JU in case LU falls to either NF or NJIT to give the Flames the edge over Lipscomb for the 1-seed but I would rather just win out, especially since the Bubble teams people are predicting for the NCAA tourney include teams lower than LU in the NET but with better Quad 1/2 records.
By LUDad
Unlikely senerio, but what would happen if neither LU or Lipscomb win the tournament? I know if we win out we secure the NIT bid but what if we lose one of out next three games? We could be left out completely, correct?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Unlikely senerio, but what would happen if neither LU or Lipscomb win the tournament? I know if we win out we secure the NIT bid but what if we lose one of out next three games? We could be left out completely, correct?
Coming into the week, Liberty ranked 78th on the ranking composite, Lipscomb 46th. Chances are pretty poor for either to get in, even more so Liberty unless their rankings start to go up with the quickness.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The LU ticket office called me on Friday and said LU will be hosting some of the lower rounds of the ASUN tournament. Will that still be the case after we lost tonight?
By LUDad
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
LUDad wrote:Unlikely senerio, but what would happen if neither LU or Lipscomb win the tournament? I know if we win out we secure the NIT bid but what if we lose one of out next three games? We could be left out completely, correct?
Coming into the week, Liberty ranked 78th on the ranking composite, Lipscomb 46th. Chances are pretty poor for either to get in, even more so Liberty unless their rankings start to go up with the quickness.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm
The league has an automatic NIT bit for any team that finishes 1st in regular season but does not win tournament. In above scenario we would likely lose NIT bid to Lipscomb since we just fell back into tie with them.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
The likeliest scenario is Liberty and Lipscomb have the same record, and so will FGCU and North Florida.

What's the tie breaker in that scenario? Does it go back to NET?
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Kricket wrote:The likeliest scenario is Liberty and Lipscomb have the same record, and so will FGCU and North Florida.

What's the tie breaker in that scenario? Does it go back to NET?
Very complicated but my best understanding is it would then be determined by whoever finishes higher between UNA and Jacksonville since UNF swept UNA and FGCU swept UNA.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We’re not done. Expecting one more additio[…]

New Mexico State

Anyone have any idea why Yoder was pulled after 3 […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]